Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you most appreciate from our site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you most appreciate from our site?

What is it about Amazing Ribs that really stokes your fire? For me, it's about the camaraderie and exchange of ideas from our members different culinary sensibilities. The give and take. The triumphs. The failures. The so so cooks. The "lightbulb" moments. What say everyone?

It is a combination of the good information AND the members, for me. There are some highly accomplished people here, and they'll step in and help those of us who are not so good, to say the least. They seem happy to help us with the most basic of questions. And it is that trait that is the most impressive to me. Seems to bring out the best of people. I've never been on a site where there is not one person I didn't want to meet.

Comment

Everything!

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
      Seems to bring out the best of people. I've never been on a site where there is not one person I didn't want to meet.
      My sentiment's exactly. Everyone on this site is great!

I've used a Weber Genesis Silver B for over 13 years. I was completely clueless about charcoal when I bought the Kettle last Oct.

Enter AmazingRibs and you know the rest.

--Ed
      Last edited by Medusa; February 16, 2015, 07:17 AM. Reason: Clueless about charcoal

Comment

The support and encouragement is amazing. Ribs fall of the hooks into the coals, cook times get underestimated, and it's all good. There's no one right way and everybody celebrates the wins. The geek girl in me loves the detail and analysis that lives happily with anecdotal experience. It's ok (and somewhat normal) to own more than one grill, and it's perfectly normal to believe that anything and everything can be cooked on one. You folks led me to my PBC (currently buried under 6 feet of snow), GrillGrates, and Thermapen (on sale!). I don't have any local BBQ buddies, but I have all of you.

Comment

Good thread Strat!

I appreciate our members' willingness to be polite and helpful. As alluded to, it's very rare to find any forum online where there aren't bullies & jerks and other adjectives & nouns I can't mention here...

We have a talented group of folks who share their photos and their recipes, their failures, and admit their innocent ignorance in certain areas and aren't ashamed to ask questions. Myself admittedly being one of the latter.

KEEP IT UP GUYS & GALS! You makka me proud! [tear]

Comment

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said.

Sadly, there are jerks & bullies, etc. on other sites, but certainly not this one.

Makes this a real jewel.
            Last edited by Medusa; February 19, 2015, 04:47 PM. Reason: Corrected grammar

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee, you are one of the ones I alluded to. All the Mods are GREAT, and I know something about modding from an unrelated site. The knowledge base and help are just awesome!

The cumulative knowledge and exchange of ideas. The pics are great. The AR recipes, techniques, and especially the science behind great BBQ. The equipment reviews are top notch and very helpful in evaluating possible new purchases

Comment

I really LOVE hanging out with folks of a similar passion. This is a place I'm not worried about being criticized for not being a purest. A place where I can learn from a truly global and diverse group of people dedicated to giving great food to their friends and families. Hats off to everyone for taking the time to give.

I'd be remiss not to mention the positive side of the way this forum is managed. As others have stated above, its great just to do what you do and not endure ridicule or criticism that comes with other sites. Hats off to the mod team for keeping us focused on why were here and being on the boards with us everyday.

Comment

• cdd315
              cdd315 commented
              Editing a comment
              Jon, I think you nailed it here .. my feelings exactly!! Ditto to what Jon said.

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too, Jon. I couldn't have expressed it better.

DEW

Definitely the exchanging of ideas, without the quippy attitude you get from other places.

Comment

The total willingness of members to help at a moments notice. The amount of info shared by members is priceless!

Comment

This Group.

We have a really solid group of loyal "Piters" (moderators included) It just amazes me how awesome this community is. It really embodies the spirit of what BBQ really is. Take it easy, Sloooooow down, cook and enjoy friends and family.
                For those of us who are daily Pitters this place is like a pit stop at the local pub after a long day. You just come in and hang out. Shoot the s#$% and talk BBQ or what ever else is on your mind. How awesome is that? And just like the local watering hole, new people are arriving all the time, some stay some don't, some pop in from time to time. It doesn't matter all are welcome, no matter what their skill level or experience. There is no put downs or chatising in this place. Only motivated members that truly care about great BBQ and each other's ability to share that with everybody. Nothing could be more important to making BBQ more accessible for more people.
                I owe everything I know about BBQ to y'all (look even a Minnesota guy is now talkin' southern ) I can't thank all of you enough. From the backyard warrior to the guy/gal that has 40 years in the restaurant biz, they're all here. I learn from everybody here.

Lets Keep the Smoke and the good vibes rollin man!! (and maybe a few caucasians)
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Big-Lebowski-White-Russian.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	62967
                Attached Files

Comment

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  mhmmmm Caucasians

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's one of the finest and funniest movies ever made.

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dude!

I have to "ditto" just about everything said here. It's all about this community of folks who honestly and willingly share what they know to help the rest of us who still have a lot to learn. in this case, the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts. The info on this site is incredibly helpful! And the people who have contributed from MH to all moderators and staff, even more so! My great thanks to all of you.

Comment

I like that I was accepted immediately. There's nothing in the world like throwing a bbq party, it lasts from 10AM until past dark; when you can't have one you can come here and plan for one. I'd have any and all of youse over to my place for a cookout (but you might want to bring your own chair and grill if it gets too big).

While we can split the site into AmazingRibs.com and The Pitmaster Club, I still see it as a whole, with AmazingRibs being static (but updateable) information, like reference books, the Q&A section below the recipes being fluid and specific information pertaining to the implementation of AmazingRibs.com, and The Pitmaster Club being direct sharing of information among users of AmazingRibs.com, useful for sharing successes, frustrations, inside tips not from the wellspring of Meat, jokes, daily chitchat... the social dimension of any good community. AmazingRibs.com = one way communication, broadcasting: Meathead to users. The comment section = two way communication, point to point with listeners: Users to Meathead and back. The Pitmaster Club = true large scale group interaction, with all its richness. So, by joining Pitmasters, we get the full richness of the cookout community at the same place we get the most accurate and useful basic information.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Really insightful. Thanks! That says it very well.

Everything that's been said so far, plus...I've never had to disclose how much weight I've gained since finding Amazing Ribs and the Pit!

Comment

Wow everyone. I have to echo everyone's sentiments above. We joke, we cook, we teach, we learn, we laugh, we DRINK, and now I'm crying. You guys are the best.

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I didn't really cry. That was a joke. *sniff*

And I have a cold. It was the cold I tell you.

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And don't forget drink, Dave! We definitely drink (well many of its anyway).

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Of course! Fixed

My favorite part would have the the part with the words and the pictures

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis