Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Let's find out the most popular smoking wood out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Let's find out the most popular smoking wood out there...

You can pick more than one if you use different woods for different things. If you have one favorite, please pick only it!

I'm limited to 10 items, so if your wood isn't listed please comment below, and list what you use it on.
    Hickory
    44.59%
    Mesquite
    9.55%
    Oak
    22.29%
    Apple
    47.13%
    Peach
    4.46%
    Cherry
    26.11%
    Pecan
    30.57%
    Alder
    5.10%
    Maple
    5.10%
    Walnut
    0%
    Last edited by Huskee; August 1, 2014, 08:30 PM.

I voted for three Apple, which I use for pork and chicken. Hickory for beef and most recently bison. And maple because it grows free in my yard.

-Joel

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Joel- what do you find maple works good on? Do you find it's similar to another wood? I have a plethora but I've never gotten around to cutting any to use it. I love my maple trees and think it would be hard to cut one down...like shooting the horse for food kind of thing.

• Jmoscrip
      Jmoscrip commented
      Editing a comment
      We have sugar maples at our house. And I've only had to cut one down completely in the 10 years we've lived here(wind damaged). Usually just use what I trim each year.

Anyway on to your question. I find it similar to apple wood it imparts a light sweet flavor so chicken, pork, anywhere I would use apple I would expect similar results with the maple. Also, and this could be complete coincidence but the cooks I have done with only maple have given me a darker bark on the meat. Again that could just be a coincidence. Have not done any scientific tests or anything.

One other thing we have sugar maples here at the house. Those cooking with other varieties may have different results. I do seem to remember reading something along those lines when I first was looking up whether it would be a good wood for smoking. Can't remember at the moment if there were any varieties not suited for smoking.

Apple- everything, it's very versatile and it grows free in my yard
    Oak and/or pecan- beef
    Peach- love it if I can get it, works for everything like apple
    (Apricot too, similar to peach but no room for it in the poll)
    Last edited by Huskee; August 19, 2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I smoke mainly with hickory because that's the most readily available pellet at the Academy store by my house. They sell B&B pellets, which have been doing very well in my Mak 2 Star.

Comment

I also use pear....

Comment

I've been using pecan we bought in Mississippi for everything and have yet to dislike it.Haven't tried it with brisket though. I still find it daunting, and expensive to screw up.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            A buddy of mine ran a restaurant and catering biz for several years, he used to use pecan on everything, including brisket. He swore by it. Then he switched to a mix of oak & cherry for ease of acquisition reasons.

I have always used hickory primarily, and eventually began mixing that with apple. I'm going to start experimenting with Pecan alone, and then go through permutations with that as well.

Comment

I have been very happy with Perfect Mix pellets from Cookinpellets. They are a blend of hickory, cherry, maple and apple. Prior to that I used hickory and cherry pellets from Traeger, but I now realize they are an alder or oak base with the flavoring wood mixed in or with oils.

Comment

What Apprentice said, almost exactly: hickory and apple. Today is the day for pecan; I'm using if for Last Meal Ribs as I write.

Comment

With my gas smoker I prefer pecan with pork, hickory with beef/poultry and alder with fish. I use more pecan because I smoke more pork. Another thing I do is soak my chips in cheap red (dry) wine for everything except fish.

My pellet smoker I prefer hickory, need a stronger wood, I think I will try mesquite with any beef I put on it.

Comment

I use hickory as I am so ignorant when it comes to woods for smoking. I am learning a lot.

Comment

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Barry, I don't believe in your ignorance. I used to do the same even used mesquite. LOL just did not know.

I use pecan because I like it, and because it's easy to get (all I need is a thunderstorm!).

Comment

I use hickory for chicken/ pork. I haven't the courage yet to try brisket, but when I do, which will be ~month, or less it will be mesquite. I might try apple, ,but for know master one, before expanding

Comment

Hickory and apple on pork. Cherry, sometimes with pecan, or maple on poultry. Oak or pecan on beef sometimes with cherry or apple. Alder or maple on fish.

Comment

I love cherry......when going straight wood I have to use just red oak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis