Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

Big thanks for 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • holehogg
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Big thanks for 2018

There have been a few mishaps along the way that played a role in my learning, BUT I can say with certainty that the free site and the pit have more than significantly moulded my current abilities. It’s been a truly fulfilling period of my being and looking expectantly for what’s to come.

It’s just over a year since my first low & slow cook and I feel I now have the confidence to express myself without worrying about failure. I have self-assessed my progress and given myself 70% pass mark. Deciding that’s high enough for me to have the freedom to experiment and irrespective of the outcome I will not become disillusioned.

The downside to learning from this site (not that there is any) is my inability to absorb and retain all the information that is available BUT the big plus is it’s always accessible.
    What really trips me up is sharing with people that are so set in their ways that no matter what you say most do not want to change or accept the advice or completely disagree without a valid explanation or reasoning.
    Their loss that reminds me of a story I heard and often share:-
    A home cook is preparing a roast and hacks off a chunk of the meat before placing it in the roasting pan. When asked why she cut the piece off she replied “my mother always did”. On questioning her mother why she cut off a section of the meat she replied “the hunk of meat was too big for my roasting pan so it needed a trim”.

One of my fond or over-optimistic memories was learning that it was not critical to have the cooker run exactly at 225F. I would fiddle with the gas knob every time it went a little over the mark. I eventually learnt that my smoker dialed in almost perfectly at 230 and accepted that was okay.

Big thanks to all fellow pit members for their contributions that make this place an enjoyable place to learn and participate.

I look forward to upping my game in 2019 and wish the same for you all.
  • CaptainMike
    Club Member
    • Nov 2015
    • The Great State of Jefferson
    • 24X40 Lone Star Grillz offset smoker
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grill w/SnS and DnG (Spartacus)
      Old school big'ol Traeger w/Pro controller (Big Tex)
      2 W22's w/SnS, DnG (1 black, 1 copper) (Minions 1 and 2)
      20+ y/o many times rebuilt Weber Genesis w/GrillGrates (Gas Passer)
      20 x 30 Santa Maria grill (Maria, duh)
      Bradley cabinet smoker (Pepper Gomez)
      36" Blackstone griddle (The Black Beauty)
      Fireboard
      Thermoworks Smoke and Thermapen.

Great testimonial, and I can only echo your sentiment. AR and The Pit have given me so much more confidence at the grill and in the kitchen, and have expanded my skills and experiences exponentially. Many of my friends are now believers as well because, well, you can't argue with success. Grill on, Pitmaster Holehogg!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Charter Member
      • Sep 2016
      • Kansas Territory
      • Grills / Smokers

Kingsford 24" grill (Free) 'Billy'
        Brinkmann Smoke n Grill
        Oklahoma Joe Highland, gaskets, LavaLock baffle / tuning plate. 'Big Joe'
        Weber 18" Kettle ($30 CL) 'Lil' Feller'
        Weber Smokey Joe ($25 CL) 'Lil' Brother'
        Weber 22.5 Master Touch '93 P Code Blue($85) from fellow WKC member Bmitch 'Elwood'
        Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Q Kettle '69-'70 "Patent Pending" Red ($80) from fellow WKC member dwnthehatch 'Maureen'
        Weber 22.5 OTS DD Code Black ($40 CL) 'DeeDee'
        Weber 22.5 OTS DO Code Black ($15 CL)
        Weber 22.5 OTS E Code Black ($20 CL
        Weber 22.5 OTS EE Code Black ($20 CL

Weber "C" Code 18.5" WSM '81 ($50 CL) 8-0!!!
        Weber "H" Code 18.5" WSM '86 ($75 CL)
        Weber " " Code 18.5" WSM

Weber 26.75, $199 NFM clearance !!!
        Weber SJS AH 'Lil' Brother'
        Weber SJS AT 'Lil' Sister'
        Weber SJS DE Code (FREE) 'Lil' Helper'
        Weber SJG M Code 'Lil Traveller'
        Weber SJS AH Code 'Kermit'
        (Lime Green)
        Horizon 20" Classic, w/baffle/tuning plate (FREE)
        Good One Open Range, (FREE), Monthly Prize from AR giveaway!!!!

Thermometers:
        Ol' Skool Bi-metal probe pocket thermo, that has checked / served ~ 1,000,000 meals in my possession, easily...
        Maverick ET-732, (Black)
        Thermopops, (Red, Yellow, Green)
        ThermaPen Mk4 (Black), THANKS!!! to jgjeske1
        Blue ThermaPen Mk4
        Orange Thermapen Mk4
        Pink Thermapen Mk4
        ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S
        ThermoWorks Smoke
        ThermoWorks Open Box Smoke
        4 Pro Series cable extensions
        Smoke Gateway

Accessories:
        2 Slow 'N Sears, Slow 'N Sear XL, Grill 'N Griddle
        BBQ Vortex, 2 Hovergrills, Top Deck
        Warming shelf
        MyWeigh KD-8000Kitchen Scale
        Backyard Grill marinade injector
        Acoustic Guitars/Electric Guitars/Basses/1928 National Duolian/Harmonicas/Banjo Washboard, Spoons, kazoos, pocket comb with wax paper, egg shakers ;-)
        Bear Paws
        Meat Rakes
        BBQ Dragon/Chimley of Insanity, Dragon Wing Shelves (x2 ea.)

Cookware:
        Probably a ton of cast iron, mostly very old...still cookin'
        G'Ma's Piqua skillet, :-)( They went out of business in 1934~)
        '60's Revere Ware (Mom's), + others found elsewhere
        60's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (Mom's) Daily driver
        50's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (G'Ma's), for a backup! ;-)
        Carpy Wally World stock pots, in approx 2 gal/3gal sizes, blue speckledty-porcelain enameled
        Tramontina 6.5 qt Dutch Oven

Cutlery, etc.:
        Shi*-ton of kitchen/chef knives, most sharper than my straight-razors are. (Better steel!) Chicago Cutlery, Old Hickory, various, including some nice German stuff ;-)
        Dexter 12" slicing knife, 6" Sani-Safe boning knife
        Smith's Tri-Hone Natural Arkansas Knife Sharpening System
        Multiple steels, from all over the planet
        Crock sticks
        Diamond stones, various
        Lansky Sharpening System

Tableware
        Daily driver:Washington Forge Mardi Gras, Navy / Cobalt Blue
        Dinner: Guests: Washington Forge, Town and Country
        Fancy / Formal: Family silverware

I'm always delighted to share in yer stories, an experiences, an wish to thank ya fer sharin em with us, Brother!!!!

Learnin is my favourite thing, in this life...

Otherwise, my brain would jus be used to hold my ears apart, or make a restin place fer my beloved cowboy hat

That'd git borin, purty dang fast, I'd haveta reckon...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 26, 2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Club Member
        • Aug 2017

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

You know in this barbeque life I've had the privilege and the honor to learn from some really good cooks and chefs. Most of them you've never heard of and therefore do not know. One (well really two) are my parents. Their love for good, well prepared, freshly produced food got me started in becoming a foodie. Meals, especially on Sundays, were really religious experiences where we worshipped at the dinner table.

As we progress in life we pick up some here and there but the love of cooking has to be ingrained in you. We all have to eat but for some of us eating is a necessity rather than an experience to be enjoyed. For those of us who enjoy we seek out better ways of preparing food and the joy of a well prepared, delicious meal becomes our mantra.

Yea Meathead and other contemporaries who have helped me learn how to look at food and understand how the basics work together to make the final outcome work through not only our sense of taste, but with our eyes, sense of smell and even tactile feel as well. Cooking then for me is a passion, and at my age it's probably my last and final (and I dare say best) drug.

May your fires stay hot, your smoke stay blue and may all my Pit friends have a great and Happy New Years of cooking and eating great food !!! Later ......

Comment

• Steve R.
          Club Member
          • Jul 2016
          • Elizabethtown, KY
          • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Smokey Mountain 22" w/ Guru adapter.

The good thing is there is no need to memorize information that is readily available on this site. You have learned the basic principles, and that is the main thing. It was by dumb luck that I stumbled on this site when I was trying to learn how to make the smoked meats that I love so much. It's almost embarrassing when friends and neighbors heap the praise on my BBQ, because I learned everything I know right here.

Comment

• RichieB
            Club Member
            • Apr 2018
            • Western Mass

Thanks for sharing holehogg. I've been here since April. What I know is; I don't know much. And I've learned a fair amount to make me be a better cook since joining. So that tells you where I was prior to joining this community. I appreciate the patience, willingness to coach and the sharing of expertise by the members who clearly have a greater knowledge. I also relish the non-political, non-judgemental environment.

Looking forward to the coming year and hopefully increasing my abilities.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Club Member
              • Oct 2015
              • Warkworth, New Zealand

Meathead has bought great pleasure to the dinner table for millions of people enjoying great well cooked food. There will always be the non believers who will argue their way is the best cause thats how uncle/ grandpa cooked. This site has has greatly advanced all of our cooking skills. With bbq there is always something new to learn no matter how skilled of a pitmaster you are.

Comment

• RonB
                Club Member
                • Apr 2016
                • Near Richmond VA
                • Weber Performer Deluxe
                  SNS
                  Pizza insert
                  Rotisserie
                  Smokenator 1000
                  Cookshack Smokette Elite
                  2 Thermapens
                  Chefalarm
                  Dot
                  lots of probes.
                  CyberQ

This site sure has upped my game and broadened my repertoire. Thanx to all who helped.

A quick story: The son of a close friend has a friend who now asks "Did Ron make this?" every time he tastes something he really likes at any get together.

And the members here know it's not magic - it's knowledge.

Comment

• panteracfh3
                  Club Member
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Tewksbury, MA
                  • "Jump in the fire!" - Metallica

Well said. Since I joined in July, my knowledge of BBQ has increased immensely. When I joined up, I wasn’t sure how much benefit I would get. Once I got in the Pit, I immediately realized that I knew about 0.00001% of the BBQ world out there and I had so much to learn.

So thanks to all for the great knowledge, encouragement, & friendship. I’m looking forward to another year of learning and creating with everyone. Cheers!

Comment

• FireMan
                    Charter Member
                    • Jul 2015
                    • Bottom of Winnebago

You have come a long way. It’s been great to follow your progress & your lack of fear. The retention thing I totally relate to. Keep smokin!
                    Your words of “others inability” are so true & go much further than BBQ. Something to remember.
                    Last edited by FireMan; December 26, 2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
                      Club Member
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Seattle Area
                      • Started this tasty craziness in 2018.
                        Using a Traeger Silverton pellet smoker.
                        Home is the Seattle area...
                        So much to learn, but it’s a helluva fun education!

Ditto that holehogg! Like you, I started my learning process here and 2018 has been a HUGE leap in my smokin’ education. Great bunch here - thanks to all of you, for sharing a bit of yourself!

Comment

• Black99vette
                        Club Member
                        • Jun 2016
                        • Aurora, IL

• Smokers & Grills
                          • Weber Original Kettle Premium 26"
                          • Weber 22" Performer Deluxe
                          • Weber 22"
                          • Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5
                          • Weber Smokey Joe
                          • Char-Broil Promo H2O Smoker
                          • Cal Flame P Series P4
                          • Coleman Road Trip Grill (Tailgating)

Thermometers
                          • No name brand
                          • A wireless unit - not sure of the brand

Accessories
                          • Slow 'N Sear
                          • Drip 'N Griddle Pan
                          • Bar-B-Que PartyQ
                          • Weber Rapid-Fire Chimney
                          • Smokenator

Beverages
                          • Beer: Sam Adams, Heineken
                          • Other: Tequila, Margarita

Hobbies
                          • Grilling / Smoking & Cooking
                          • Work Working
                          • Home Improvement / DIY

About Me

• Software Engineer Manager - Home Automation, Security / Access Control & Video Systems

holehogg thanks for sharing. I too was out in the grilling /smoking wilderness until I found AR. There is a lot of incorrect information out there. And don't feel bad because I can't remember everything I read on this site (Or in general - I think it started when I turned 50!). I'd like to think everyone here is contributing to educate the world on better grilling / smoking practices and science. Even if we don't remember the definition of Maillard reaction while talking with friends.

I remember when I started I thought the more smoke the better. I had a few cooks that probably would have given someone carbon monoxide poisoning if they eat it!
                        Last edited by Black99vette; December 26, 2018, 11:23 PM. Reason: I don't proof read well.

Comment

• Fire Art
                          Club Member
                          • Jan 2018
                          • Jackson hole Wyoming

I didn’t know squat when I joined now I know diddley squat but I sure eat good thanks guys

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
                          See more
                          See less
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                          The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                          The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                          The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                          The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                          The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                          We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                          Stylish and Affordable
                          Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                          Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                          A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                          Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                          GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                          The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                          This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                          A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                          FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                          Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                          Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order