Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We suffered a terrible loss last night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We suffered a terrible loss last night.

A few months ago I bought a half a pig from a local farmer and a chest freezer to store it in. Over the last couple of months I've been stocking up on meat when I have seen good deals.

Last night I went out to pull something out of the freezer and to my horror everything was thawed, and the freezer was no longer working. We lost about $1000 worth of meat in one fell swoop. It feels like loosing a close friend, I have this empty feeling inside.

And DAMN that pig was amazing, by far the best pork I've ever had.

I don't know if I feel comfortable getting the freezer replaced by Sears and staying with the same brand.

You should know that with only a few exceptions, all freezers are made by Frigidaire, including all name brands.

Comment

Originally posted by OGMrWhite View Post
      A few months ago I bought a half a pig from a local farmer and a chest freezer to store it in. Over the last couple of months I've been stocking up on meat when I have seen good deals.

Last night I went out to pull something out of the freezer and to my horror everything was thawed, and the freezer was no longer working. We lost about $1000 worth of meat in one fell swoop. It feels like loosing a close friend, I have this empty feeling inside.

And DAMN that pig was amazing, by far the best pork I've ever had.

I don't know if I feel comfortable getting the freezer replaced by Sears and staying with the same brand.

That has got to be the saddest story I've heard all day.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Go with a SUB-ZERO. Never had any problems with that sucker. Mine works great. And it will send you an alert if there is a problem.

Comment

Wow that stinks, was it a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Wow that stinks, was it a new one?
            It will really start to stink soon....

I live in fear of my freezer failing. I make a habit of checking the indicator light every time I go into the garage. We went through 3 !! to get a good one when we moved a few years ago. I needed to change from a huge chests freezer to an upright due to space limitations, and I really hated to give up the old reliable one. The new ones seem so cheesy.

Comment

Hell, right now my garage refrigerator is a friggin' freezer. I guess they're designed to keep the cold in, not out...

It's okay for all the meat I buy, but it's hard to work with frozen eggs

Comment

I can relate. I had the same thing happen last year with a chest freezer. Fortunately I caught mine just as it was starting to thaw. It was the great hamburger, porkchop, bacon give away....(after what I could salvage was put in my fridge's freezer....(I kept the ribeyes... and t-bones......) My kids and neighbors and coworkers were all apprecitative though, so I've got that and cosmic awareness going for me on my death bed.......

Comment

One trick I learned is to keep the freezer FULL! I add gallon jugs of water to take up space and extend the interval between failure and notice of such failure.

Comment

• coolfins
                    coolfins commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brilliant!

• BruceB
                    BruceB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And it's also a way to have more potable water on hand for disasters like earthquakes.

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keep water jugs in a refrigerator that is not full, as well. Makes both freezers and refrigerators more efficient, so I am told.

There are cheap solutions to this problem, you guys with freezers should know better. Get one of those alarms that is temperature sensitive. I don't have a freezer, but, if I did...

http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Al.../dp/B0016LFWFK

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lots of bad reviews of all of these things. I still might get one, however.

Condolences, that would not be a welcome surprise.

Comment

As someone who just bought a brand new freezer this week, this is something that worries me greatly.

Comment

This is right up there with the Seahawks in terms of devastation in loss!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                        Jerod Broussard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lions lost a heart breaker to the Cowboys
                        Cowboys lost a heart breaker to the Packers
                        Packers lost a heart breaker to the Seahawks
                        Seahawks lost a heart breaker to the Patriots.....last heart break is always the worst!!!!!

• Papa Bob
                        Papa Bob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He was only there so he didn't get fined!!!!!!

Yes but I have to send my thanks out to Mr Pete... once a Patriot always a Patriot.... greatest call in football history. Missed him making these when he was in Foxboro.

Comment

Condolences on the freezer ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis