Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kobe Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kobe Beef

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...kobe-beef-lie/

Just read this article, very well written, if correct I have been fooled before by ordering Kobe Beef at a restaurant. The steak was absolutely delicious but it was so long ago and don't know if I was lied too. I guess I am going to have to save my nickels and dimes to travel to Japan to have a real kobe beef steak!

Wow very interesting article. I knew that "Kobe" labeling here was a sham, and it should be stopped. However, I think some of the blame should be on the consumer for not doing their homework. People love to chase brand names, and Kobe is no different. If your going to buy something that is that much more expensive than the norm, it's your responsibility to know what your buying, regardless of what the label may lead you to think. Just MHO.

Comment

There was an update from that article written in 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...t-kobe-beef-2/

Comment

At the end of the day... USDA Prime grade beef is very good meat! If someone wanted to serve me Kobe beef, at their expense, I wouldn't turn it down. However... I'm not going to pay $70 or $80 dollars for a pound of beef.

Comment

• Drbearsec
          Drbearsec commented
          Editing a comment
          I love prime beef. Real A5 Kobe or any Wagyu is heads and tails better than the best prime you've ever had. Its like an NFL team vs High school... One is just superior in every way. Is the price they charge worth it... Most of me says yes... But I cant afford to buy it a lot so I enjoy my Prime when I have it.... And choice when I dont

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Drbearsec...

Taste, quality and value are all subjective issues... Not all people would find a steak of such high fat content desireable or superior in taste or a good value at such extraordinary high prices. Besides, as the article indicates, the odds that you or I are going to get our hands on REAL Kobe beef in America is slim to none. It's import is very controlled and very, very limited. To get your hands on some you have to know someone that knows someone involved in the limited supply chain. If you own a 5 Star famous Steakhouse you might be lucky to get 100 or 200 pounds per month. My guess is a restaurant like that would not even put it on their menu. They would probably dole it out to special customers.

Originally posted by Wartface View Post
        At the end of the day... USDA Prime grade beef is very good meat! If someone wanted to serve me Kobe beef, at their expense, I wouldn't turn it down. However... I'm not going to pay $70 or $80 dollars for a pound of beef.
        Amen. I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Well crap, I just recently learned how to pronounce Kobe, and now this. Wait, I don't even purchase Prime, and my Choice bet-be marked down with a yellow tag.

Comment

This is no longer accurate. You can import Wagyu and specifically Kobe into the US now. However, I agree most Kobe isn't real or even authentic Wagyu. For years, the US didn't respect the legal naming and so anyone could claim it with American or Austrailian Kobe. I believe there are trade agreements now to enforce the naming but I doubt all restaurants comply. Generally, Wagyu costs around 110-130 a lb in my experiences from a butcher and 20-40 an ounce at restaurants... Nobu, for example, has Wagyu from 25 an ounce to 45... When you see it dirt cheap, it's probably American or Austrailian Kobe which is usually A crossbreed.
            Originally posted by CallRVA View Post
            http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...kobe-beef-lie/ Just read this article, very well written, if correct I have been fooled before by ordering Kobe Beef at a restaurant. The steak was absolutely delicious but it was so long ago and don't know if I was lied too. I guess I am going to have to save my nickels and dimes to travel to Japan to have a real kobe beef steak!

Comment

I worked for a local restaurant that advertised Kobe, or Waygu beef for a couple menu items. They were not either. They started out that way, until the bean counters had their way. Then, it was just the usual choice stuff. This issue is common. Buy it yourself, and cook it yourself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis