Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Someone Stop Me Before I Kill Someone--TV Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willy
    Charter Member
    • Apr 2015
    • High Desert of the Great Southwest

Someone Stop Me Before I Kill Someone--TV Madness

So, our latest TV signal provider is Dish. We switch providers (aka con artists) every two years because you get a "screaming deal" for year on, but are typically locked in for two years and are "taken advantage of" the second year. So, it goes Dish to DirecTV to Cox, to... Anyway, our latest Dish "bargain" locked the prices for two years, so we went with them. Now, they've "lost" HBO (financial dispute) for some time--who knows how long. Comically, this is the first time we've ever bought HBO and we've come to enjoy several of their shows. Most of the Dish content is vapid--same with Cox and DirecTV (how much QVC and TV preachers asking for money can one watch?). We watch maybe a dozen channels with some regularity and have no clue as to what the others even are.

My dilemma is that WE want HBO, my wife wants pro football (local + ESPN?), we both want local channels and, say CNN, NatGeo, and maybe a couple of others. Sadly, we are remote and cannot receive "local" channels via antenna. We do have Roku and Amazon Prime, but I ain't enough of a geek to tie it all together.

Is there an inexpensive, SIMPLE solution here or do I have to make national news as a rampage killer? (Just joking, law enforcement)

BTW, the Dish remote sucks. No nightlight and it has touch buttons on one sides that are way too easy to hit accidentally
  • CaptainMike
    Club Member
    • Nov 2015
    • The Great State of Jefferson
    • 24X40 Lone Star Grillz offset smoker
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grill w/SnS and DnG (Spartacus)
      Old school big'ol Traeger w/Pro controller (Big Tex)
      2 W22's w/SnS, DnG (1 black, 1 copper) (Minions 1 and 2)
      20+ y/o many times rebuilt Weber Genesis w/GrillGrates (Gas Passer)
      20 x 30 Santa Maria grill (Maria, duh)
      Bradley cabinet smoker (Pepper Gomez)
      36" Blackstone griddle (The Black Beauty)
      Fireboard
      Thermoworks Smoke and Thermapen.

No help here buddy, we yanked the cord on all of it about a year ago and don't miss it one little bit. We cook a lot, eat and visit with each other, play a bunch of cards and other games, then read before bedtime. Just like the pioneers! Well, with electric lights, Instant Pots, laptops, cell phones, SiriusXM and such, but otherwise just like pioneers.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Same as you. With 3 kids there is always some action going on in our house. I use the in laws Netflix accounts for the kids to watch cartoons, but that is basically it.
  • Huskee
    Administrator
    • May 2014
    • central MI, USA
    • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
      • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
      • PBC
      • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
      • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
      • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
      • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
      • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
      • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
      • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
      • (7) Maverick ET-732s
      • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
      • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
      • Thermapen MkII, orange
      • ThermoPop, yellow
      • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
      • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
      • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
      • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
      • Instant Pot 6qt
      • Anova Bluetooth SV
      • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
      • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
      • BBQ Dragon
      • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
      • Weber grill topper
      • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
      • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
      • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
      • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
      • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
      • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
      • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
      • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
      • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
      • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
      Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

If you aren't objected to more internet TV (through your Roku box) there is Pluto or Sling. Don't know much about Pluto, but Sling gives you a lot of channels and locals from what I understand, but don't quote me. And I think they're $20/month. I've looked seriously at Sling a couple times, but I can't bring myself to bring commercials back into my house so never went past the free trial.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had Sling for about 4 years now and between that and a digital antenna we have most everything I want. Sling has their "Blue" and "Orange" packages and of course they split the channels most people want between the two so you probably need both. I think I pay around $55 per month. It is slightly cheaper than cable but once you add in the cost for internet it is about the same.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had Sling Orange fer bout two years, an like what they bring, in addition to my Netflix, an Amazon Prime...

• tdimond
      tdimond commented
      Editing a comment
      If HBO is a priority, Sling is owned by Dish and is caught up in the dispute.
  • aladdin4d
    Club Member
    • Sep 2018
    • St Louis
    • GMG Davy Crockett, MHP WNK

Well you already have a Roku and Prime video so most of the hard work is already done! HBO NOW is available a la carte through your Prime subscription for $15/month. Note this isn't the HBO Roku app, that's HBO GO and it requires an active cable/satellite subscription. Don't get confused, HBO NOW = a la carte for a charge without cable/satellite. HBO GO = included with an active cable/satellite subscription. Other than that it's the same content.

There are several live streaming options out there now and I'm sure at least one of them will have all the channels you watch. YouTube TV has local channels in many areas, ESPN, ESPN2 ESPN U, ESPN News, Fox Sports, FS1, FS2, CNN, NatGEO and unlimited Cloud DVR, $40/month.

Playstation VUE is another one with local channels and cloud DVR but I think to get all the sports channels you need to have a $50/month subscription. They also have a super elite tier or whatever it's called that includes HBO & Showtime. If I remember right, it's $80/Month.

Sling - Already mentioned but I think they have a total of 4 different options now and HBO can be added a la carte as with Prime video.

Pluto - Already mentioned but this one does not have local channels or DVR. What it does have is quite a few news channels and a lot of lesser known channels for free which makes it worth having.

DirecTV Now - It's DirecTV but it's a streaming service instead of a satellite service. Prices start at $40/month and go up to $75/month. I have no idea what's included in the different packages but HBO is available as an add on for either $5 or $8. Much cheaper than the normal $15

Hulu with Live TV - No idea what the channel line up is like but it includes local channels in many areas and cloud DVR for $40/month

Again, don't get confused or feel overwhelmed. The geek factor requirement is really low on all of these. They're all just Roku apps so a few clicks with the Roku remote, a log in and done.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, I forgot about the HBO/Prime thing. But Sling can still get you the local stations, which I don't think Prime will.

• bten
      bten commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you can get HBO and ESPN with apple tv. You still have to pay for access to them. All of these services require access to the internet. You will have to get a decent connection via Cox or DSL. You need to get a decent speed 25 Mbps or better.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Right now, I am confused and overwhelmed! LOL I'll work at it.
  • smn1285
    Former Member
    • Feb 2017
    • MD

Have had SlingTV for over a year now and love it. To get ESPN + local channels you need to pay $40/month. Then they have a bunch of ads on packages you can scroll through and see if any are worth your while to add on. I also added HBO Now for $15/mo cuz sling as well lost HBO recently.

Comment

• scottranda
      Charter Member
      • May 2015
      • Charlotte, NC

YouTubeTV was the best decision I ever made about TV!!!!!!!!!!!! Works great at a very good rate!!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty much all the channels I want/need!!!!!!!!

Can you sense my enthusiasm?

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        But do you like it?

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I fought that same fight with cable and DirectTV for years. It was a BATTLE! None of that with YouTubeTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • treesmacker
      Club Member
      • May 2018
      • Grants Pass OR
        • Rec Tec Trailblazer RT-340
        • O-Grill 600 Portable Grill with O-Dock
        • Cuisinart 360 Griddle
        • Ooni Fyra (coming soon)

OK, TV is annoying, but let's not talk about killing people. That's not cool. I sympathize with you, it is so difficult to get decent TV at a reasonable price. I've had cable through Charter, and seen Direct TV. Why would anybody want to pay for viewing infomercials? Why would you want 100 channels, of which you are only interested in about 10? Sorry to hear you can't get antenna TV. We have gone to antenna with a "Tablo" DVR. With that and a Roku, we get all of the local channels, PBS, etc... Netflix, Amazon Prime and all work together to be enough for us. The bad part... Charter cable still rips us off for $64.99 a month for internet access... it is good and fast, but they really would rather sell a package of crap that we don't want at $99.97 a month. It seems no matter what you do, you'll be in for $100 a month - think... $1,200 a year to watch good TV. OK, so I'm frustrated as you are!

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        Can we at least Go kick their butts

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, kick their greedy butts!
    • FireMan
      Charter Member
      • Jul 2015
      • Bottom of Winnebago

I don’t give a rip. No tv here, none, nada. Can’t do it on my IPad not interested. Someone gave us a tv & it still sits backwards on a shelf.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh, what, who?

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        Ewer the man

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!
    • Steve R.
      Club Member
      • Jul 2016
      • Elizabethtown, KY
      • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Smokey Mountain 22" w/ Guru adapter.

I recently called DirecTV, dropped down to the next lower package since we never watch the other ones, and asked for a customer loyalty discount. And added NBA Full Court. Saved a few bucks per month, on average, and the NBA package is basically free. You might be surprised by what you get just for asking.
      Last edited by Steve R.; November 11, 2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        We do the same with Verizon. They WILL try to get you to add something. Be strong.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have mentioned that I was already interested in adding NBA Full Court because my son loves it. It was nice to be able to do that and end up paying less per month.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried that with Charter cable... told them i don't understand why they treat the loyal customer so bad... as a loyal customer, i only get price increases as the "special rate" runs out. We paid about $35 a month for a year, and then they upped it and have continued to up it ever since. Now we pay $65 a month just for internet. No discounts for seniors either.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
    See more
    See less
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}