Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure where I should ask, feeding a homeless shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where I should ask, feeding a homeless shelter

I've been playing with smoking meats for about 2 years. I'll smoke a butt and take it to my work and my co-workers love it (ribs as well). One of my co-workers volunteers at a homeless shelter with his church every 3 months. The church group provides meals for the homeless. I bought Meatheads book years ago (kindle version) and I think I remember reading 1/4 pound per person on like a shoulder (I need to buy the hard copy of the book). I've been asked to smoke some shoulders, I'm like awesome!! I have an (uncle pookie) ugly drum smoker so about the max I'm going to be able to do is 3 at a time. So my question is how much meat per person and any suggestions on freezing the meat as it might take 2 weekends before the volunteering happens.

1/4 pound per person is good .Just remember you lose about 20% of your uncooked weight during cooking. To freeze it i would pull it, wrap/vac seal it. To reheat, thaw, add apple juice, reheat in big roasting pan(s) or in aluminum pans covered. Stir some.

Comment

Here are some notes I've made. Figure they're talking about pulled pork or brisket:

Portions: 1/2 lb cooked meat per hungry grown man (generous) - 1/3 would probably work with ample sides.

2-3 people per pint of sides

Meathead on the other hand figures: ribs1-1.5 lbs per person;Pulled Pork or brisket 1 lb per person (these are all weights before cooking).

Yields (from Ed’s limited experiments). These were from straight smoking on the BGE:

Chuck - 36%
      Boneless Butt - 34%
      Bone-in Picnic - 33%

So a pound or a pound and a half before cooking seems about on the mark for hungry grown men.

Should get you in the right range.

Make sure the church is assuming all liability.

Comment

Thanks Edf and Keiferr

Comment

Those per person estimates are out the window if you're feeding my son. He's thirty now, haven't noticed him slowing down when it comes to meat, it just shows more than when he was a teenager. I figure a pound to pound and a half just for him when I do pulled pork.

Good luck on the project, let us know how it goes!

Comment

What do you have for sides? That will factor into total weight...

Comment

For freezing, I pull it and then vacuum pack it. For reheating, I just place the vac pack bag in hot water - you could warm it sous vide, but I usually just get the water to boiling and kick it back to medium heat for awhile. It'll depend on how much you put in each vac bag how long it will take to reheat. Cut it out of the vacuum bags and just fluff it up again and it comes out great.

Comment

I will find out who has the liability. Thanks Jeff. I had not given that a thought

Comment

This article will help you with portions and other things to think about.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis