Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Question

This may be a stupid question.
    When smoking in a vertical smoker such as a Backwoods Smoker with 4 or more racks. If you have multiple meats placed on the racks, doesn't the meat drippings fall unto the other meats below? Is this okay? How about if you have Butts above Brisket, Brisket above Butts or Ribs above either?

They do indeed. The one on the bottom will have a kiss of the flavor of the one on top. Which goes where is up to your preference.

Comment

Yes, but the only area you may find this a not-so-good thing is having pork above beef. If your sweet rib/pork butt rub drips on your beef, it may be less desairble. Beef doesn't do as well with sweetness. Like Keith says it is a preference thing, but I would opt for beef up top. Ribs would be great with a little peppery beef rub on them if it had to be that way. It should be minimal though, really. None of them are exactly pouring drippings out.

Comment

I don't put poultry above anything while cooking. I don't know if the meats below can get contaminated from the poultry or not while cooking. Good question to ask around here I would think.

Comment

• _Keith
          _Keith commented
          Editing a comment
          If you're cooking to safe internal temperatures, the external temperatures will be well above that. Even if the chicken drippings themselves haven't reached a safe temperature when they fall on the meat below, the outside of that meat will get it plenty hot before it leaves the smoker.

Flat pans with racks stops all of that too. I agree with no poultry on top of anything. Unlike Huskee, I do like pork dripping on brisket or ribs dripping on chicken, if I'm not using pans.

Comment

Thanks everyone
          I was thinking about upgrading to a G2 Chubby in several months from my PBC. Then I started thinking about the Dripping Juices with the verticals.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis