Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found AR right at a year ago, thanks...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found AR right at a year ago, thanks...?

So I found this place a year ago AFTER purchasing a POS COS and realizing I needed better. Since then all of my local BBQ joints have gotten worse, I can barely eat at any of them any more because I can do better at home. A burnt end sandwich I loved a year ago is now just ok.
    Due to the increased cooking, and associated beer intake while waiting, I have gained 38 pounds as of today. They were a delicious 38 pounds, but i'm getting a pitmaster body exceedingly fast.

So thanks, I'm fat and if I want good food I need 48 hour notice and 8 hours of cooking.

This is a great post. I'm too easy. I still eat at inferior BBQ joints because I can't help myself. You're a better man than I, Gunga John.

Comment

I agree Dew, this is a great post!! I found AR about a year ago too while researching my Large BGE. Even though the rating on it was Silver I still really wanted it. I haven't regretted buying it, and have learned to work around its short comings. I'll never forget my first cook on it was a stand up chicken (no beer can though). I got the internal temp on the egg set to 350 F using the dome thermometer and figured that if I can cook a chicken in the oven at that temp then it would take about an hour or so. Well, 2.5 hours later the family was getting pretty antsy and my cheap dial meat thermometer showed not ready yet. I took the chicken off, cut it up and nuked it until the pink disappeared, and we ate LOL. It tasted like charcoal and the skin was awful. I went back to AR, found how to calibrate my dome thermometer and found out that it was 75 F out on the hot side .. at 350 was really 275 F. I then placed an order for a Maverick ET733 and a Thermopen. Lots of reading, mixing rubs and sauces ensued after that!

I have to say that my BBQ has gotten sssoooo much better since applying the methods found here. I don't like restaurant food that much any more either and have gained weight also. Well worth it!!
      Last edited by cdd315; January 28, 2015, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I BBQ and grill on my BGE. I bake bread and cake on my BGE. I bake pizza on my BGE. Each category has added about 10 pounds over the last few years. Hmmm... Maybe the beer required while tending the BGE is the culprit. Wearing pants with a stretch option in your waistband is the answer. Who needs a belt anyway.

Comment

I am approaching 2 years, also via a COS. No weight gain. I've had a 28-29" waist for the last 20 years.

Comment

I too started reading AR because of a COS I was trying to learn to do brisket on about 1 1/2 years ago. Now I own three different type of cookers and love them all. My food is a lot better and my friends are asking what's next lol. As far as the weight gain, they are happy pounds. Jerod the last 28-29 waist I had was the end of junior high probably

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis