Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Why Are You Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thom Emery
    replied
    I enjoy walking through a cook with a new cook

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Apparently they’re shipping...
    While I like the idea...I’m just not on board yet with the Meater. I want to see how it holds up..
    In theory, it would be THE ideal rotisserie thermometer. (I’ve got everything else covered,) So IF it’s durable and can put up with that environment...I’ll get one for sure.

• xaugievike
    replied
    Found AR when I was researching the WSCG (which I eventually purchased)...but in the process really liked want I was reading from Meathead, max good, etc. so for $20 I thought what the hell. I now stay for the continued knowledge and the fact that this forum (likely b/c you have to pay) is clear of politics and silly garbage that generally brings down other forums I've been a part of.

Oh, and the Meater...I stay to learn more about the Meater too....anyone ever heard of that?

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    And keep 'em coming Padre!

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    I may not have recipes, but I've got a ton of corny jokes!

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    You forgot to mention it's a great place to post corny jokes!!

• Bogy
    replied
    Kind of late to the party here. I did vote a couple days ago, but weekends are really not my "off" time. I didn't take time to write anything at the time I voted.

I originally came to the site to get advice on how to BBQ. A couple of years ago I was in the market for a new grill, and came for the reviews. Never got involved in the forum because I didn't think I had anything to offer, I was intimidated by everyone with all the great equipment who knew what they were doing with complicated recipes. This summer, as I was looking for a new smoker, and this time I got involved in the forum. Specifically, when I was looking at gas grills, and ended up buying my Weber Genesis, I just used the "official" reviews. This summer I got into the "Pellet Smoker" thread of the forum, and from there got involved in more of the forum.

I do post in the "What are you cooking" threads, with some descriptions, but most of my cooks are still pretty simple. I've got some beef short ribs going right now, and I might share a picture of how they turned out, but my recipe is what I've learned here, there's nothing new to share.

I'm one of those who comes for advice on cooking, and equipment, but also comes for the camaraderie. I've been involved in other forums over the years. Sometimes VERY involved. On one forum devoted to satellite TV I had the second highest post count, something like 13,000 posts. Mostly political. I was laid up with some surgeries, and spent way to much time and aggravation there. After I left that forum I want back five years later and without having made a post was still in the top ten posters. I like it here. No flames (well, just the good kind), no arguments (except over whether to wrap or not), a group of supportive, helpful people. Cooking with smoke may be what brought us together, but I hope there's always room here for more than just recipes.

Leave a comment:

• bardsleyque
    replied
    I voted food as well,but this is my"facebook" site! I'll try to post more technique and pic stuff but this inter web thingie is a pain for me!(I'm a hunt and peck typist and it takes me forever)

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    No where did I say anyone’s posts didn’t have merit. Just trying to encourage more food recipe posts that’s all. Sorry if anyone takes it wrong or is in some way offended, that wasn’t my intention Donw

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    I am guilty of not posting recipes myself. But I did learn how to be a better cook, using the techniques on this site.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Duly encouraged, my man.

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you so much for pointing out that 98% of our posts are not satisfactory. I, and I sure others, will work diligently to correct our past mistakes.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    And there's nothing wrong with that as well. If you get the chance, however, show us what your cooking and tell us how you cooked it !!!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I understand what you're saying Cap but a lot of guys have no problem posting pix on SUWYC, maybe a little more explanation as to how things were made would be of great use in compliling the AR general cook book. Just trying to be an encourager !!!

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Some, like yourself, have a knack for compiling and presenting accurate, step-by-step instructions and techniques. Others, for myriad reasons, don't, won't, can't, or really don't have the time. As you well know, it takes a lot of time and very good organizational and computer skills to put something like that together. It also takes a lot of confidence to lay yourself out there, like comp cooking

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}