Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite barbeque myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite barbeque myth?

Smoke to the bone, wet wood, lump vs briquettes . . . the list is endless.

Bring meat to room temperature,

Comment

Things besides salt penetrate deep during marinating.

Comment

The longer the meat is in the smoker the better. People ask me this all the time when I'm cooking. "How long was it on the smoker?" Expecting like a 20+ hour smoke on everything under the sun. Or "thick white smoke billowing out of the stack, means you're really Cookin' with smoke!!"
        Granted in Minnesota, when it comes to BBQ, people don't know a Pork Butt from their own backside but.....These ones are almost a guarantee when I go places with my Q.

Great Post idea CB!!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree Spinaker. Anything advertised as quality BBQ has that 'slow smoked over hickory wood for 18 hrs' tagline attached to it. A buddy of mine used to run a restaurant and smoked all his own meats. he was proud telling me he had it fired up and "smoke just a billowing out the stack". I bit my tongue, he's not the type that takes 'advice' well. Lol.

Not a myth but a major fooopah >> using the 3-2-1 method for ribs

Sterling Ball of BigPoppaSmokers.com and winner of the prestigious American Royal in KC says "I'd like to kill the man who came up with the 3-2-1 concept. He's ruined more meat..."

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it just sounds fancy because of the steps involved, and to be honest I tried it before I knew what I was doing. Makes good ribs. So does baking them in the oven and covering them in storebought sauce- still good ribs. NOT doing those things makes far better ribs though, that simply takes experience to learn...or AmazingRibs.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, I used to par-boil my ribs. At first just in water, then later in a flavorful broth, then rub/dry-brine, then smoke, then grill to sizzle the sauce. They were really good. More I've stored boiling and they are even better and the active prep time is way down as well.

• Gunderich_1
          Gunderich_1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I have to agree....before I found Amazing Ribs I went to Youtube to get BBQ advice (there are a ton of videos and not all of them bad) and I discovered the 3-2-1 method.....this was also way back when I just had an old Brinkman vertical smoker.....you defintely get fall off the bone....and then some if you're not careful. It's been years since then and I don't plan on doing it ever, ever, ever again.....
          Last edited by Gunderich_1; February 3, 2015, 02:00 PM. Reason: grammar check

Red in steaks is not blood. So many people have a life of tough, flavorless steaks due to this.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          So True, I tell people this one all the time.

A ham being "brimed" in a bag, whereby half the ham is out the "brime." This "brime" lasted an hour or two. Nother great cook on BBQ Pitmasters.

Comment

GREAT topic CB Dabbs!

Mine is that pellet smoking is real wood smoking. (Just kidding! A little friendly jab at you know who you are)

But for real, my fav myth is the room temp thing. Waste o' time, flirting with bacteria, etc etc etc.

On the subject of faux pas:
          • wrapping ribs in foil bugs me- not if you prefer them that way (that's fine if you KNOW what you like), but when people do it just because and won't listen to reason.
          • Not using a digital thermometer and complaining of inconsistent results
          • People who argue with Meathead on the Beer Can Chicken page. It's fine if you like BCC, it makes a tasty chicken, no one is arguing that point. But folks will still argue that his article is bs and non scientific and all that. A non-BC chicken is better, and that is hard to accept for some.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Took me a bit to really get the temp thing through my skull. To that point in time most of my cooking was baking, cook x for y minutes and its done.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay, so just went on the main site and read the comment deal under the Beer can chicken debunking. Good lord man. You'd think that the beer can chicken apocalypse was upon us because of Meatheads blasphemous scientific studies!!! Some people get so worked up over this myth. That one guy was saying that MH and DR. B's credentials, "have what to do with cooking." Are you kidding me? As well as saying MH has a "poor understanding" of how to read thermometers or conduct food science research. I loved how Meathead doesn't back down and say, "well to each their own" No, he says your wrong and here is why. Not in a condescending tone, just backing it up with facts and experience. Anyway, I had no idea that Beer Can Chicken was had a Fundamentalist following!!

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I know who I am!! ;-)

Smoke ring

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to own two Masterbult electric smokers and they put out the worst que that I ever had. I gave them to my neighbor just to get rid of them. I cannot compare the electric smoker to a pellet smoker or a PBC bc I have never use them and never will. I will just stay with my stickburner

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine puts out very nice Q. And, yes, it's a real smoker.

• Gunderich_1
            Gunderich_1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, just so you know, I still have my Masterbuilt electric....and as soon as I get around to I will probably turn it into charcoal smoker....or when the element dies....although to come to think of it, it has sit in the garage for quite awhile since I got the PBC and my Smoke EZ for my Weber.....I guess I could always donate it to charity.....but for what it is it doesn't do that bad of a job......

Drinking beer while barbecuing impairs creativity

Comment

Wasting good beer in the water pan.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I've also heard this one, or "they" say put cherry Coke or sugar water in the water pan while doing ribs it makes them sweeter.

• Trailer Trash
              Trailer Trash commented
              Editing a comment
              Alcohol Abuse!!!

Cooking brisket with the fat cap up make the brisket juicier.

Comment

I got another one "slow cooker BBQ"

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha!

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems like as long as meat is dunked in BBQ sauce then it qualifies as BBQ.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems like as long as meat is dunked in BBQ sauce then it qualifies as BBQ.

My favorite is "If you ain't smoking at 225* (low and slow), it ain't real Q". Don't get me wrong, it works for some people. But it isn't a be all to end all.

Comment

That I'm good at it. Hehehehe

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis