Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Electronics spree - making the jump to 4K video! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tRidiot
    replied
    Well, I've got it in and on and it looks fantastic. I can unabashadly recommend the 2018 Vizio P-series (and the higher PQ line) as spectacular "budget options". Hopefully it will remain very reliable, as has its older and smaller brother which just came down off the wall.

I'm very pleased with it. My only problem is trying to get the ARC setup to work with my old Denon receiver, so I've placed an order for a new Denon AVR-X3400H. Then I can pass 4k through my receiver, reduce the number of wires going up to my TV and not have to worry about ARC. Hopefully it'll be here soon.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats, sorry it was such a protracted ordeal, brother!
    Lookin forward to seein/hearin more, once it gits there!

• tRidiot
    replied
    Well, my original TV was apparently never found.

New one shipped out, long story short, a couple of phone calls and my new TV is supposed to be delivered this afternoon.

W00T! Finally! Day 16 from ordering, I guess it could have been worse.

I agree, Costco's customer service rep was super nice and accommodating, everyone tells me I should have demanded some kind of compensation but... well, I didn't. Guess maybe they're right. A free year's membership, or a gift card or something would have been nice. I'm just too nice, I suppose. lol.

Which is funny, really, because I think of myself as an a-hole most of the time, but then... I get to hear what goes through my head, while everyone else only hears what comes out of my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    tRidiot , this exact thing happened to me when I bought a TV from Costco years ago. The first delivery attempt was while I was at work (at the time I worked evenings and left around 2:00pm.) The delivery notice on my door said they'd attempt again the next day between 10am and 2pm. Great.... I'll be here. Of course, they didn't arrive by then and I had to leave for work. They left another note that said they would hold it at the UPS facility (20 miles away) and I could pick it up any time within the next 10 days. So I went in the next day before work and there was one person helping people at the service desk, with the line out the door. Another lady (presumably the supervisor) came up and said, "Is anyone here picking up a package?" and about half the line said "yes." So we went over there and a couple people got their packages and it was my turn. I gave her my slip and she disappeared into the back and I didn't see or hear from her for over 20 minutes. I had to leave to get to work on time and just asked if someone could go back and find her so I could have my slip back to give them the next day.

I go back the next day and there is no line and several people up front, and the person who helped me again disappeared into the back for 15 minutes or more. She then came out and said she couldn't find my package and that it wasn't on a truck today, and gave me the number for UPS security and then was pretty much done with me. Furious, I left (again, had to be at work on time) and called UPS security for that facility on my way to work. Again, interacted with a person who could not have possibly cared less about my complaint and spent the entire duration of my drive to work on the phone with her or on hold while she went to look.

Finally she came back and said, I've filed a claim for you. We won't finalize it until 10 days have gone by. Once those 10 days are up, if we haven't found your package, you can take the claim to Costco to ask for a refund.

I didn't wait 10 days, I called Costco directly that day and talked to their CSR who was very nice and helpful. When I told her the story, she said, "Oh, yeah. That UPS delivery driver has a new TV. Either that or he sold it. No question. I get these claims several times a day." Apparently, this is an epidemic within UPS, and I guess they give Costco such a price break on shipping that Costo doesn't find it financially advantageous to terminate their partnership or to insist that UPS get their crap together and take control of the problem. I gave Costco the claim number and the CSR issued me a refund that day (Still had to wait 7-10 days for the funds, but I didn't have to wait for UPS to finalize the claim THEN wait for the funds to clear.)

This was over 10 years ago and I still get a little irritated and flabbergasted when I think about how I was treated, and that it happens so often, that it's just part of doing business for Costco. I'm somewhat surprised, with package tracking being what it is now, that this still happens.

I took that money from Costco, went to the 4th of July sale at Best Buy, and got a better TV PLUS a snazzy corner TV stand for less money than the TV from Costco would have cost... so I feel like I came out ahead, but the whole ordeal was infuriating to me.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Hang in - it'll get there.

• tRidiot
    replied
    Well, I had hoped to be calibrating my new TV this weekend.

Unfortunately, it appears my TV is lost. Yup... you read that right. LOST.

So, Cosco put in for a return and said they will have a new one shipped out to me, which should go out tomorrow, I suppose restarting my "7-10 days" delivery time. <sigh>

Man, this is irritating. I've got everything else - 4k media, 4k BD player, surround sound is hooked up (and sounds awesome), bias lighting setup is here... UGH. None of it is the least bit useful without the main star player. I guess I probably jinxed it.

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    I used to be in to surround sound and such, but I realized I was never really able to listen to it in a room that properly supported it, nor at a volume that properly displayed it. I "downgraded" to a speaker bar/subwoofer simulated surround sound combo from Sony and have had no complaints. My old receiver was a hoss, but it frequently wigged out over switching from DTS to Dolby 5.1 and my biggest complaint was that when playing a movie, I could either listen to the dialog at a normal volume level, or the sound effects at a normal volume level. If I turned the sound up to the proper level to hear dialog, as soon as a car crashed up or a starship blew up, my ear drums were bleeding. Conversely, if I turned the sound down to the proper level so that the explosions and such didn't shatter my precious hearing membranes, I couldn't hear the dialogue at all. And this was with all the recommended settings/solutions to that particular complaint. It just didn't work with my limited space. Since moving in with the wife, my cave went from a living room sized area to a small bedroom sized area and a surround sound system is just wasted. So, I sadly sold my old 5.1 system (that was admittedly, a little long in the tooth) at a garage sale and put the 3.1 system in and it's been perfect. Great clarity and deep quality, nice simulated surround, and never chokes on different surround formats. Also, no having to juggle connections from stereo to optical, to coax to shielded digital coax. That was probably the worst part.

I liked my plasma TV, but there were a couple minor issues that affected me personally but not the quality of the TV itself... first, they generate a LOT more heat than LCD or LED TVs and my little man cave was turning into a sauna. Also, they don't play well with game systems that have any sort of a static part of the display (think like the mini-map in a game like Assassin's Creed or Red Dead Redemption.) I was getting screen burn and despite my efforts each time after I was done gaming to run the screen wipers, it wasn't going away. For both of those reasons, the LED TV was the answer (for me.) The plasma was still perfectly good for watching TV, and my sister-in-law still has it at her house 4 years later.

This is making me think (nostalgically) about the movies I used to use to show off the surround system to people who've never experienced it before... gonna start a new thread for folks to discuss those.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• OSB
    commented on 's reply
    I dream of an LG OLED to replace my Panasonic Plasma. They keep getting cheaper and hopefully by the time the Panasonic drops dead they will be plentiful.

• Omega-Man
    commented on 's reply
    Most are pretty good but black is still better on the plasma along with angel of view. However, the OLED are the best and even better than plasma. OLED have unlimited angle of view just like plasmas and excellent blacks

• Pow7der
    replied
    I just hung the 65” in a good friends house a few weeks ago. I could nerd out on a lot of what makes it so nice but I’ll just say you’re going to really enjoy looking at it for the next few years! Congrats!!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I'll help, MBMorgan jus don't put me on th Heavy End!
    Long as I'm still pumpin air, ya still got at least one friend, brother!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 29, 2018, 04:13 PM.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Sweet Deal, brother! Lookin forward to more!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    I fully understand the weight issue with those things. You should see the brawn of the wall mount I have!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    I forgot the "flea power" tube amp in the office - which does add to the pleasure!

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
Stylish and Affordable
Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order