Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey questions...

When putting a probe inside your smoker to monitor heat, where do you place it? Above the meat, below the meat, same level? What if you have multiple racks of meat?
    When firing up the smoker and bringing up to desired temp, do you put the wood in upon start, or do you wait until up to temp?
    With multiple racks of meat (I have two racks of chicken thighs today) do you place a probe in a piece of meat on the top rack, bottom rack, or just in the largest piece?

look foward to hearing some answers! Im new to an actual smoker (bought a gas unit a week ago) iI've been smoking on my weber up until now.

Hey mckay, welcome to the pit. I'll try a few of these:

Wood: I put it on when up to temp add the meat is on.

Cooker probe. Your call just keep it 2 inches or more away from the meat. The top rack will be hotter that the bottom. Both racks may reach the same temp at some point but in my WSM that take a few hours to achieve.

Kinda the same for the meat prob. Your call. The biggest piece is a good start. Of course the smallers will cook faster.

Incase you havent seen this theres some good info on thermometers and such here:

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...ing_guide.html
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 18, 2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• mckay791
      mckay791 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you much. Interesting, I figured bottom would be hotter because closer to heat source, but heat rises so I can see this. I bought the Maverick 733 and the thermapen based on the recommendations. Im ready to roll, just trying to figure out all of the new toys. Thanks again forthe tips

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Your smoker could be hotter on the bottom. You can always use the meat probe with some aluminum foil to hold it at run temp on both racks.

Good advice Jon. Welcome McKay! Time to check out the homework thread in the welcome channel and get your signature completed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis