Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Our Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Our Meat

Hello everyone, as you may have read I am in a place where cheap or even reasonable meat is not readily available. I was wondering how many of you buy meat in small bulks and freeze until time to cook. How does the frozen meat turn out?

Guy

I have no complaints. Just had some ribs in the freezer for a couple months. They were put in the fridge yesterday morning, to cook Sunday.

I've done quite a few briskets, got 'em while the gettin' was good. Lotta purge, but I think most that stuff comes out anyway.

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, can you tell me your freeze method? Do you use vacuum or just ziplock?
      Last edited by Guy; January 11, 2015, 06:10 PM. Reason: Spelled Jerod's name wrong. Whoooops

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      We vacuum what has already been cooked. If you are going to consume something in less than a month, the vacuum is probably not necessary. But since things can get piled up in the freezer real easy, we make sure and vacuum all pork and brisket.

Already purchased meats like brisket and ribs, are already, ready, for the freezer.

If the meat is well vacuum sealed, I have not noticed any difference. But then again, I have never done a side by side. Maybe Dr. Blonder needs to set up a frozen meat experiment. :-)

Perhaps since the water molecules are being frozen, it can change the final moisture content...

As a homebrewer I know if you freeze fresh hops w/o drying them the water molecules will turn into water crystals and rupture the tissue causing many of the oils (that provide the hop aroma) to be lost. This isn't the same a freezing meat, but I can see where the water crystals could have some impact to the meat tissue...

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      OG Mr White, this is interested maybe Dr. Blonder can answer some of this.

Thanks,

Guy

I'm with Jerod on this. I buy ribs by the case when I catch them on sale and I too have no complaints. Most grocery stores like Krogers and other big chain stores received their ribs frozen off the truck. So when I buy a case of ribs I always ask for them frozen. The ribs that are in the cooler at one time was frozen then people will buy them take them home and put back in freezer and not even knowing that they are refeezing them.

When I get ready to smoke them I will take them out of the freezer and put in the fridge two days before the cook.
    Last edited by DWCowles; January 9, 2015, 09:50 PM.

Comment

We buy a great deal of meat, which we portion, then freeze. My vacuum sealer croaked, so I just use plastic wrap and ziplock bags. For what we need, this works out real well with no issues. I buy from Costco, or from work, and save a ton of money, as well as having better food, overall. We also do this with cooked food for those times when we don't feel like cooking.

Comment

Hey Guys, today I saw a whole brisket tip (Not sure what a tip is unless it is a point) in Publix for $ $12.73 a pound. Believe it.The total was $63 something dollars. First Tip, Point I have seen in this store in Florida.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Never heard of Publix, is that just a gated neighborhood store? hahaha

• Guy
          Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod, No on Publix but it would fit right in the gated community. Still when I go to Atlanta the prices in their Publix stores are reasonable. We don't have enough competition for them down here.

I agree Publix is a nice grocery store and the customer service is great but damn. I can't put their kids through college.

Comment

I have looked into the freezing thing and currently have two racks of ribs and at least one PB that have been dry brind, rubbed, and then frozen. I tatke them directly from the freezer and put them on the smoker at 225*F and let them defrost and cook. A 9 lb PB will take approximately 1.5 hrs extra to cook. Rib take an extra 45 min to a hour to get done. I believe this has been somewhat discussed on another thread here but I can't remember which one. If I am going to cook within a month I don't vacuum bag.

Publix is a great super market I have been going to them off and on since to long ago.

Comment

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Barry, a different subject if I may. I think you mention Hungarian Paprika in one of your comments somewhere. Can you give me your opinion on either that or Spanish? I know Meathead says normal Paprika is mostly for garnish. I agree but I have used Smoked Paprika that you can get in the store. I would order whichever was best for meat and smoking if I knew some facts.

Thanks,

Guy

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Guy, there is a topic about Paprika here:

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...9-paprika-help

Lots of good info there.

Kathryn

You lose a little moisture, but it won't turn good food bad. More like super delicous becomes just delicious. Certainly worth it if that's what you have to do

Comment

Guy's thanks for all of this information.

Comment

Kathryn, thanks for the info and how do I go about finding stuff on here that is past. Like discussions on Paprika?

Comment

I believe that MH has talked about vacuum sealing, than putting in the fridge in ice water for a day or two to bring the temp down as close to freezing and then freezing it. It will freeze faster and therefore smaller ice crystals form less damage to cell walls when defrosting

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis