Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing spices

Anybody know if there been any studies to determine the impact of freezing spices? Does this prolong their shelf life?

I know of studies on this subject, but from a users point of view, it is easier and just as effective to buy whole spices and grind as needed. Most of the rest of the world does this with dry spices(which are usually a type of seed). For herbs, that is a different and WAY more complicated deal, in my experience at least. Yes, spices will keep longer in the freezer, if the bag enclosing said spices is thick(you can't smell the enclosed spices). I don't usually bother unless I grew the spices myself, as you don't know how the spices were handled before you bought them. They could have sat in a warehouse for 2 years before packaging for all we know. However, for whole seed spices, the outer shell of the seed protects the flavor and aromatics, for the most part.

If you buy your spices already ground, the shelf life is less than 6 months. Here is where freezing can help. However, you will save money, in the long run, by buying your spices in whole seed form(where applicable), and grinding what you need for a cook. I use a cheapo coffee grinder for this purpose. I hope this helps you. Greetings from a cold(-6F) Houston, Alaska.

Comment

Thanks Strat50. Any idea how long whole seeds last?

Comment

This from: http://www.thespicehouse.com/info/faq

How long do spices last?

Whole spices can last several years. Once spices are ground their volatile oils have been released and they are already beginning to dissipate. We recommend not buying a larger amount of an individual ground spice than you expect to use within a year. Old spices will not make you sick, they just won't accomplish their true purpose. A good, simple test is to smell them. If you don't get a scent, it's time to throw them away. A fun way to throw them away is to toss them on your grill when cooking. This is a way to release the last little bit of volatile oils that might still remain, and put flavor into your grilling food!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis