Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Sold Out! Secure your spot on the waitlist now. Waitlist members will be moved to reserved seats as we get cancellations first-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Recipe Box Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marauderer
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Powder Springs, Georgia
    • [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_6496_1424176307798_786[/ATTACH] Barry
      Powder Springs, GA

Weber S470 with smoker box and insulated custom cover
      RecTec w/grilling mat, front shelf, cover, Nomex Sealing Gasket, Hurd Downdraft Hood, Fuller's Earth,oversize wheels
      GMG Davy Crockett Wifi
      Blackstone 1575
      Seville Classics Rolling Workbench
      Grill Grates searing kit
      (2) Maverick ET-732
      Thermopen Classic w/glo case, Thermopop, Time Stick, Extra Big and Loud Timer, Chef Alarm
      Wine maker from kits, Merlot, Liebfraumilch, N.Z. Pinot Noir, and some other fuity tuity wines that are great with "Q"
      PickleMeister
      Pampered Chef Knives
      All Clad BD5
      Tyent Water Ionizer

I want a "Stick Burner"!! Looking at Lang 36" Hybrid Deluxe. Either patio or trailer haven't made up my mind.

Recipe Box Software

richinlbrg, over on "Your BBQ Resolution" thread

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...bbq-resolution

mentioned "Get my recipes together and organized properly (and if anyone knows of an electronic recipe box, I'd like to know)". I have a similar problem.

I don't want to manually enter everything into a new program. I am way to lazy and have to many other projects I am into to take that much time to do it. Also it would bore me to tears and take away from my time on the pit and cooking.

I would like to be able to scan some old family and friends hand written recipes as a pic and make it legible so I can keep it in a common place, like one large electronic Cookbook.

If anyone has a recipe book/box software that they are happy with please share so others including myself and richinlbrg and get better organized.
  • richinlbrg
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Leesburg, VA. (Northern, VA)
    • We have two weber kettle grills (one LARGE and one small/average), the SnS and the Weber Smokey Mountain 18" smoker. We use both natural lump charcoal and KNB for smoking and measure our temps with a Maverick 733, thermopen and MK4. Favorite beer depends on what is cooking (alt answer is yes).

TOTALLY with you! And thank you for making this a thread unto itself!

Comment

• Marauderer
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
        Powder Springs, GA

RecTec w/grilling mat, front shelf, cover, Nomex Sealing Gasket, Hurd Downdraft Hood, Fuller's Earth,oversize wheels
        GMG Davy Crockett Wifi
        Blackstone 1575
        Grill Grates searing kit
        (2) Maverick ET-732
        Thermopen Classic w/glo case, Thermopop, Time Stick, Extra Big and Loud Timer, Chef Alarm
        Wine maker from kits, Merlot, Liebfraumilch, N.Z. Pinot Noir, and some other fuity tuity wines that are great with "Q"
        PickleMeister
        Pampered Chef Knives
        All Clad BD5
        Tyent Water Ionizer

I want a "Stick Burner"!! Looking at Lang 36" Hybrid Deluxe. Either patio or trailer haven't made up my mind.

I spent about 20 min Googling different options on this and noticed a lot out there for the Apple Ipad. I would really like to have the main program on my PC and be able to send it to my Ipad or Android device if I need to. I had only one program that talked about taking a pic with the Ipad and moving it into a cobbled together cooking notebook on another site. Bah, I will keep looking.

I have a ton of old family and my own hand written recipes to file and store.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • We have two weber kettle grills (one LARGE and one small/average), the SnS and the Weber Smokey Mountain 18" smoker. We use both natural lump charcoal and KNB for smoking and measure our temps with a Maverick 733, thermopen and MK4. Favorite beer depends on what is cooking (alt answer is yes).

We have a lot of recipes, too. A year or so ago, I did a search for iPad, which we use a lot when cooking. Sounds like a lot more may have come around. I'll check them out. I'm also wondering if using OCR software may have a use here. I'll join your search a bit later in the day.

Comment

• _John_
          Former Member
          • Jul 2014

I've done some OCR software but it is really bad at recipes, so many abbreviations and cursive etc. A scanner is the only thing I can recommend, taking pictures usually causes more problems.

Comment

• Marauderer
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
              Powder Springs, GA

GMG Davy Crockett Wifi
              Blackstone 1575
              Grill Grates searing kit
              (2) Maverick ET-732
              PickleMeister
              Pampered Chef Knives
              All Clad BD5
              Tyent Water Ionizer

Originally posted by John View Post
            I've done some OCR software but it is really bad at recipes, so many abbreviations and cursive etc. A scanner is the only thing I can recommend, taking pictures usually causes more problems.
            I have a scanner john but, it would be great to find a program that has the scanner written in so the import would be minimal.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Florida
              • Brand new 26" Weber kettle. Three Weber 22.5"kettles, An 18" Weber kettle.

Two WSM's, 18.5", one with an extra mid section

Maverick ET 733 and 732. ThermoWorks RT600C Thermometer & Thermoworks MK4. Two PartyQ's

Kingsford blue bag
                Royal Oak lump for searing

Have competed in two BBQ comps and plan on more this year

Huge fan of The Ohio State University.

I use a Word document template that I set up. A bit of work but I usually just copy / paste the main info. I also add the date and the hyperlink so I can refer back to it for updates. I have a 3" binder divided into 8 sections for the recipes with page protectors for the recipes. Additionally, I email the docs to my kindle paperwhite for when I camp and don't want to lug the big binder with me. A bit of work but I can take a recipe and have it in a Word doc pretty quick.

I remember seeing a scanner thing for your receipts being advertised on TV. Pretty sure this is it: http://www.neat.com/

Comment

• HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too - I use a 'living' Word doc to house everything. I am a notorious cut and paster. lol
            • richinlbrg
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014

FLB, I was going to get the binder and page protectors this weekend, but then re-thought about software.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                Charter Member
                • Nov 2014
                • Winchester TN
                • Hardware
                  Blackstone 36” Griddle.
                  Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado & Kettle Grill.
                  Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0).
                  DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
                  Weber Chimney Starters (regular and compact).
                  Joule, Instant Accu Slim.
                  GrillGrates.
                  Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
                  ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
                  KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks), B&B Hardwood Briquettes when I'm out of Weber.
                  Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins, Shrimp, Fajitas.
                  SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
                  MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

For some, Evernote might work. Getting Started with Evernote for Mac is here and you can review Evernote for other platforms from this page. They also have Evernote for iOS, Windows, Android, Web, and more. It's free unless you need the premium features. I've just started using it and it syncs between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Notebooks can contain multiple notes. Their "Create and Edit a Note" section says:

An Evernote note can capture just about anything, including text, images, files, audio, Web Clips and more. All notes are searchable, making them easy to find when you need them. Evernote even searches for typed and handwritten text inside attached images.

Hope this is helpful.
                David

Comment

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Evernote is great... I use it and like it.

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use Evernote Premium for all my "storage." Awesome program.
              • The Burn
                Founding Member
                • Jul 2014
                • West Chester, PA
                • Gas Grill: NXR Tabletop/Portable Propane
                  Charcoal: Weber Performer Silver (i.e., 22.5")
                  Charcoal: Weber OTG 22.5"

Kettle Accessories: Slow 'n Sear, Smokenator and Vortex and bound to be more on the way
                  Smoker: GOSM Propane 38" 2-drawer
                  Pellet: CampChef/Browning Deluxe PGP24LTD

Thermometer: 2 Mavericks, Red backlit Thermapen
                  Anova Wi-Fi Sous Vide

I use Evernote for recipes and my cooking logs (among other things like shopping lists). Each of these is a "notebook," otherwise known as a folder. On my mac version, in an internet browser, there's an option to select a portion of a screen (or the whole screen) and it basically takes a snapshot of it - I use this for Internet recipes like on AR. It syncs automatically to the app on my iPad and iPhone. With those, you can take a photo from within the app and insert it into a new or existing document.

Here's a screen capture from my mac

Comment

• Marauderer
                  Founding Member
                  • Jul 2014
                    Powder Springs, GA

GMG Davy Crockett Wifi
                    Blackstone 1575
                    Grill Grates searing kit
                    (2) Maverick ET-732
                    PickleMeister
                    Pampered Chef Knives
                    All Clad BD5
                    Tyent Water Ionizer

Originally posted by FLBuckeye View Post
                  I use a Word document template that I set up. A bit of work but I usually just copy / paste the main info. I also add the date and the hyperlink so I can refer back to it for updates. I have a 3" binder divided into 8 sections for the recipes with page protectors for the recipes. Additionally, I email the docs to my kindle paperwhite for when I camp and don't want to lug the big binder with me. A bit of work but I can take a recipe and have it in a Word doc pretty quick.

I remember seeing a scanner thing for your receipts being advertised on TV. Pretty sure this is it: http://www.neat.com/
                  My wife just gave me an add for the Neat this morning. I need to check that out. Thanks FL for the input.

Comment

• Marauderer
                    Founding Member
                    • Jul 2014
                      Powder Springs, GA

GMG Davy Crockett Wifi
                      Blackstone 1575
                      Grill Grates searing kit
                      (2) Maverick ET-732
                      PickleMeister
                      Pampered Chef Knives
                      All Clad BD5
                      Tyent Water Ionizer

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
                    For some, Evernote might work. Getting Started with Evernote for Mac is here and you can review Evernote for other platforms from this page. They also have Evernote for iOS, Windows, Android, Web, and more. It's free unless you need the premium features. I've just started using it and it syncs between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Notebooks can contain multiple notes. Their "Create and Edit a Note" section says:

An Evernote note can capture just about anything, including text, images, files, audio, Web Clips and more. All notes are searchable, making them easy to find when you need them. Evernote even searches for typed and handwritten text inside attached images.

Hope this is helpful.
                    David
                    Hi David, I noticed when I was Googling for this problem that Evernote had a strong following in the Apple community. With you input that they also have the software for PC's I will check it out. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• Marauderer
                      Founding Member
                      • Jul 2014
                        Powder Springs, GA

GMG Davy Crockett Wifi
                        Blackstone 1575
                        Grill Grates searing kit
                        (2) Maverick ET-732
                        PickleMeister
                        Pampered Chef Knives
                        All Clad BD5
                        Tyent Water Ionizer

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
                      I use Evernote for recipes and my cooking logs (among other things like shopping lists). Each of these is a "notebook," otherwise known as a folder. On my mac version, in an internet browser, there's an option to select a portion of a screen (or the whole screen) and it basically takes a snapshot of it - I use this for Internet recipes like on AR. It syncs automatically to the app on my iPad and iPhone. With those, you can take a photo from within the app and insert it into a new or existing document.

Here's a screen capture from my mac

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_5055_1420136625833_942[/ATTACH]
                      Tb you most also be an Apple guy but with David telling us that they also write their software for PC's and androids I need to check it out.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Barry:

I am the "anti-Apple Guy" and I love Evernote. Windows PC's and Android only here.

DEW

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Me too DEW

• Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have an apple now, but I started using Evernote on a pc. Works great on both platforms.
                    • fuzzydaddy
                      Charter Member
                      • Nov 2014
                      • Winchester TN
                      • Hardware
                        Blackstone 36” Griddle.
                        Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado & Kettle Grill.
                        Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0).
                        DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
                        Weber Chimney Starters (regular and compact).
                        Joule, Instant Accu Slim.
                        GrillGrates.
                        Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
                        ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
                        KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks), B&B Hardwood Briquettes when I'm out of Weber.
                        Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins, Shrimp, Fajitas.
                        SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
                        MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

Marauderer, happy new year! Evernote says:
                      Get Evernote for All Your Devices

Evernote is available for just about every device and platform, including smartphones, computers and on the Web, making it easy to remember everything and access it anytime, anywhere.
                      To download Evernote, visit the Evernote product page.
                      Evernote is available for all of the following:
                      Mobile
                      • iPhone.
                      • iPad.
                      • iPod Touch.
                      • Windows Phone.
                      • Windows 8 (Touch).
                      • Android.
                      • BlackBerry.
                      • WebOS.
                      Desktop
                      • Mac OS X.
                      • Windows Desktop.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Founding Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • The Poconos, NEPA
                        • Smoker:
                          Landmann Smoke Master Series Heavy Duty Barrel Smoker (COS) - With mods including 2 level rack system with pull-out grates
                          Masterbuilt 40.2" 1200W Electric Smoker
                          Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL 40" Vertical Propane Smoker

Gas Grill:
                          BBQPro (cheap big box store model) Stainless steel 4 burnerswith aftermarket rotisserie.

Charcoal Grill:
                          Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal Grill 14"

Thermometer:​​​​​​
                          Fireboard 2 with Drive cable and 20 CFM fan and Competition Probe Package
                          Fireboard 1st Generation
                          ThermoWorks Mini Instant Read
                          Lavaworks Thermowand Instant Read
                          2 Maverick 733
                          ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer
                          ThermoWorks ThermaPen Mk4 x 2
                          Govee Bluetooth Thermometer with 6 probes

Miscellaneous:
                          Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 1st generation
                          Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - wifi/bluetooth connected

Favorite Beer:
                          Anything to the dark side and malty rather than hoppy. Currently liking Yuengling Porter and Newcastle Brown Ale. In a bar or pub I will often default to Guiness

Favorite Spirit:
                          Bourbon - Eagle Rare for "every day"; Angel's Envy for special occasions, Basil Hayden's, Larceny

Favorite Wine:
                          Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Super Tuscan Sangiovese (Including Chianti Classico Riserva) Brunello di Montalcino

Favorite Meat(s):
                          Pork - especially the darker meat. I love spare ribs and anything made from shoulder/butt meat
                          Chicken - Mainly the dark meat and wings
                          Beef Ribeye steak

Favorite Cuisine to Cook:
                          Can't list just one: Indian, Chinese, Thai, West Indian/Carribean, Hispanic/Latin American, Ethiopian, Italian, BBQ

Favorite Cuisine to Eat:
                          Indian, followed closely by BBQ.

Disqus ID:
                          David E. Waterbury

I use Evernote for this. I have an Evernote Stacked Notebook for Recipes. Within the stack are notebooks for Meats, Sauces, Component Ingredients, Vegetables - some others I can't remember right now. You can use scanned images, type stuff in, or copy and paste text from web-sites or your own word or word perfect documents. You can add or take photos and even now hand-write in your phone or table screen. It is awesome. And, as fuzzydaddy says, it is completely cross-platform integrated.

DEW

Comment

• The Burn
                          The Burn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've been (under)using Evernote - didn't even know what stacks were until tonight and this is a great idea

• Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Glad to be of assistance, TB.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Sold Out! Secure your spot on the waitlist now. Waitlist members will be moved to reserved seats as we get cancellations first-come, first-served!
                      Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                      See more
                      See less
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                      The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                      The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                      The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                      We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                      Stylish and Affordable
                      Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                      A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Webers� Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                      GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                      The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                      This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                      A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                      FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                      Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                      Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order