Welcome!


This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe Box Software

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Recipe Box Software

    richinlbrg, over on "Your BBQ Resolution" thread

    http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...bbq-resolution

    mentioned "Get my recipes together and organized properly (and if anyone knows of an electronic recipe box, I'd like to know)". I have a similar problem.

    I don't want to manually enter everything into a new program. I am way to lazy and have to many other projects I am into to take that much time to do it. Also it would bore me to tears and take away from my time on the pit and cooking.

    I would like to be able to scan some old family and friends hand written recipes as a pic and make it legible so I can keep it in a common place, like one large electronic Cookbook.

    If anyone has a recipe book/box software that they are happy with please share so others including myself and richinlbrg and get better organized.

    #2
    TOTALLY with you! And thank you for making this a thread unto itself!

    Comment


      #3
      I spent about 20 min Googling different options on this and noticed a lot out there for the Apple Ipad. I would really like to have the main program on my PC and be able to send it to my Ipad or Android device if I need to. I had only one program that talked about taking a pic with the Ipad and moving it into a cobbled together cooking notebook on another site. Bah, I will keep looking.

      I have a ton of old family and my own hand written recipes to file and store.

      Comment


        #4
        We have a lot of recipes, too. A year or so ago, I did a search for iPad, which we use a lot when cooking. Sounds like a lot more may have come around. I'll check them out. I'm also wondering if using OCR software may have a use here. I'll join your search a bit later in the day.

        Comment


          #5
          I've done some OCR software but it is really bad at recipes, so many abbreviations and cursive etc. A scanner is the only thing I can recommend, taking pictures usually causes more problems.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by John View Post
            I've done some OCR software but it is really bad at recipes, so many abbreviations and cursive etc. A scanner is the only thing I can recommend, taking pictures usually causes more problems.
            I have a scanner john but, it would be great to find a program that has the scanner written in so the import would be minimal.

            Comment


              #7
              I use a Word document template that I set up. A bit of work but I usually just copy / paste the main info. I also add the date and the hyperlink so I can refer back to it for updates. I have a 3" binder divided into 8 sections for the recipes with page protectors for the recipes. Additionally, I email the docs to my kindle paperwhite for when I camp and don't want to lug the big binder with me. A bit of work but I can take a recipe and have it in a Word doc pretty quick.

              I remember seeing a scanner thing for your receipts being advertised on TV. Pretty sure this is it: http://www.neat.com/

              Comment


              • HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too - I use a 'living' Word doc to house everything. I am a notorious cut and paster. lol

              #8
              FLB, I was going to get the binder and page protectors this weekend, but then re-thought about software.

              Comment


                #9
                For some, Evernote might work. Getting Started with Evernote for Mac is here and you can review Evernote for other platforms from this page. They also have Evernote for iOS, Windows, Android, Web, and more. It's free unless you need the premium features. I've just started using it and it syncs between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Notebooks can contain multiple notes. Their "Create and Edit a Note" section says:

                An Evernote note can capture just about anything, including text, images, files, audio, Web Clips and more. All notes are searchable, making them easy to find when you need them. Evernote even searches for typed and handwritten text inside attached images.

                Hope this is helpful.
                David

                Comment


                • smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Evernote is great... I use it and like it.

                • Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use Evernote Premium for all my "storage." Awesome program.

                #10
                I use Evernote for recipes and my cooking logs (among other things like shopping lists). Each of these is a "notebook," otherwise known as a folder. On my mac version, in an internet browser, there's an option to select a portion of a screen (or the whole screen) and it basically takes a snapshot of it - I use this for Internet recipes like on AR. It syncs automatically to the app on my iPad and iPhone. With those, you can take a photo from within the app and insert it into a new or existing document.

                Here's a screen capture from my mac

                Comment


                  #11
                  Originally posted by FLBuckeye View Post
                  I use a Word document template that I set up. A bit of work but I usually just copy / paste the main info. I also add the date and the hyperlink so I can refer back to it for updates. I have a 3" binder divided into 8 sections for the recipes with page protectors for the recipes. Additionally, I email the docs to my kindle paperwhite for when I camp and don't want to lug the big binder with me. A bit of work but I can take a recipe and have it in a Word doc pretty quick.

                  I remember seeing a scanner thing for your receipts being advertised on TV. Pretty sure this is it: http://www.neat.com/
                  My wife just gave me an add for the Neat this morning. I need to check that out. Thanks FL for the input.

                  Comment


                    #12
                    Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
                    For some, Evernote might work. Getting Started with Evernote for Mac is here and you can review Evernote for other platforms from this page. They also have Evernote for iOS, Windows, Android, Web, and more. It's free unless you need the premium features. I've just started using it and it syncs between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Notebooks can contain multiple notes. Their "Create and Edit a Note" section says:

                    An Evernote note can capture just about anything, including text, images, files, audio, Web Clips and more. All notes are searchable, making them easy to find when you need them. Evernote even searches for typed and handwritten text inside attached images.

                    Hope this is helpful.
                    David
                    Hi David, I noticed when I was Googling for this problem that Evernote had a strong following in the Apple community. With you input that they also have the software for PC's I will check it out. Thanks for the input.

                    Comment


                      #13
                      Originally posted by The Burn View Post
                      I use Evernote for recipes and my cooking logs (among other things like shopping lists). Each of these is a "notebook," otherwise known as a folder. On my mac version, in an internet browser, there's an option to select a portion of a screen (or the whole screen) and it basically takes a snapshot of it - I use this for Internet recipes like on AR. It syncs automatically to the app on my iPad and iPhone. With those, you can take a photo from within the app and insert it into a new or existing document.

                      Here's a screen capture from my mac

                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_5055_1420136625833_942[/ATTACH]
                      Tb you most also be an Apple guy but with David telling us that they also write their software for PC's and androids I need to check it out.

                      Comment


                      • Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Barry:

                        I am the "anti-Apple Guy" and I love Evernote. Windows PC's and Android only here.

                        DEW

                      • Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Me too DEW

                      • Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have an apple now, but I started using Evernote on a pc. Works great on both platforms.

                      #14
                      Marauderer, happy new year! Evernote says:
                      Get Evernote for All Your Devices

                      Evernote is available for just about every device and platform, including smartphones, computers and on the Web, making it easy to remember everything and access it anytime, anywhere.
                      To download Evernote, visit the Evernote product page.
                      Evernote is available for all of the following:
                      Mobile
                      • iPhone.
                      • iPad.
                      • iPod Touch.
                      • Windows Phone.
                      • Windows 8 (Touch).
                      • Android.
                      • BlackBerry.
                      • WebOS.
                      Desktop
                      • Mac OS X.
                      • Windows Desktop.

                      Comment


                        #15
                        I use Evernote for this. I have an Evernote Stacked Notebook for Recipes. Within the stack are notebooks for Meats, Sauces, Component Ingredients, Vegetables - some others I can't remember right now. You can use scanned images, type stuff in, or copy and paste text from web-sites or your own word or word perfect documents. You can add or take photos and even now hand-write in your phone or table screen. It is awesome. And, as fuzzydaddy says, it is completely cross-platform integrated.

                        DEW

                        Comment


                        • The Burn
                          The Burn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've been (under)using Evernote - didn't even know what stacks were until tonight and this is a great idea

                        • Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Glad to be of assistance, TB.

                      Announcement

                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      0
                      Guest
                      500
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis