Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High altitude grilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High altitude grilling

Hi all, I'm planning on doing a 15lb prime rib for new years.... However I'll be at 6200 feet. Do I need to take any considerations regarding the altitude? Anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance!

Take an oxygen bottle!

Seriously though... you will need to open those vents more to get enough O2 to the fire!

Comment

"The impact on grilling or smoking is minimal, although there can be higher humidity in a smoker during a long cook and that can cool the meat slowing the process, but not a lot, and it can be offset because natural humidity can be lower at altitude." Meathead, AmazingRibs.com, Thermodynamics of Cooking

Comment

I live at 7,000 feet. One (the primary?) reason you can have higher pit humidity is that water boils at a much lower temp (for me, currently, it's 198.74°F (7,000 ft. @ 29.60" pressure)). There's a good boiling point calculator on the Thermoworks website (http://www.thermoworks.com/software/bpcalc.html). Just check your local weather page for the current barometric pressure first.

So, that extra humidity is coming from your meat. You should be OK with a prime rib, plenty of fat to keep it juicy.

One thing I like to do with big chunks of beef is to cold-smoke them first for 90 minutes or so (using a tube smoker), cook them with a pit temp of 275°-325°F to an IT of 120°F or so, and then reverse sear over high heat, pulling around 132°F IT. They finish close to 140°F IT by the time they're done resting.

Just one way of doing it.

Now, keeping brisket moist up here is fun, fun fun.

Take pics and let us know how it turns out! Happy New Year!

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          That boiling point calculator is cool. Thanks for the link.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis