Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your BBQ Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your BBQ Resolution

I'm not big on resolution to be honest but I started thinking about what I want to do in the coming year to grow as a Q'er/home cook.

With just a few short days till the new year what are your aspirations for cooking and Q'ing for 2015?

I hope to:
    • add another dedicated smoker (or 6) to the fleet
    • improve and expand my skills in traditional sides
    • become a better bread maker
    • continue to forge relationship in the mighty Pit Nation
    edit:
    Almost forgot. Figure out a decent french roast coffee!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	39
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	43164
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 23, 2014, 06:05 AM.

I hope to:
    1. Get a better handle on sides... especially sides that can be cooked out doors.
    2. Learn bread baking
    3. Make better briskets
    EDIT > Find that one thing I am good at cooking and cook it over and over
    Last edited by smarkley; December 23, 2014, 08:05 PM. Reason: adding a resolution

Comment

I'm going to read America's Best BBQ by Ardie A. Davis and Chef Paul Kirk before the next Seminar.

I think this would be a good resolution for anyone, actually.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        DW are you going?

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        No Jon I don't think I will

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        It might be quite tough to sit in a room full of people listening to someone teach methods we know have been mythbusted by Meathead and Dr Blonder. The whole 'let meat come to room temp first' thing comes to mind, it drives me nuts, it makes NO sense. To name one of many.

• Find some better uses for leftovers
      • Make some good stuff on my Weber kettle so it doesn't exist just to hold my chimney
      • Give away more food. Fed 100 at events this year and gave away about 100 pounds, gonna try to double it.

Comment

1. To do my duty for God and Country and not wrap any more pork butts at the stall!

2. Master the PBC cooks.

3. If I can't find a decent used Weber Performer, break down a get a One-Touch and learn the basics on it.

I was gonna say obtain a Backwoods chubby or a Lang 36", but I figured I better stick to actual achievable goals.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          1) Hey! I wrap pork butts. [looks out window to see angry mob pacing toward my house...]

As for the last sentence, there's always tax return season!

My resolution is to learn how to improve my cook with the stick burner and to stay away from charcoal and duck
        Last edited by DWCowles; December 30, 2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I dont think part two is going to be an issue for you my brother.

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          That will be a challenge for you DW! But, you seem to be a strong willed person so you should make it.

I set a major goal every year. 2014 it was cook over 20 contests (I cooked 24). 2013 it was get my master certified BBQ judge before I left office of KCBS president. 2015, I'm going to aim high -- I want to be one of the cook teams invited to King of the Smoker. That means I'm going to have to become a better cook in a non-pellet environment. Got to sell a pellet grill and buy a G2 Chubby! That or put the wood door back on the Jambo and learn to cook traditional stick wood way!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm pulling for you Miss Candy.

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I think both of those options sound great, I hope you are more decisive than I am...

• Ray
          Ray commented
          Editing a comment
          I vote for buying the G2...as though my vote counts. Lol!

I'm going to change, I mean fix, my Pitmaster Club e-mail, so Pit Boss can reach me to tell me that I'm the winner of the Gold Medal Giveaway they can't reach and then choose the Mak-1 and find someone to trade me for a comparably-priced stick burner because that's about the only way I'm going to get one Then I'm going to learn to burn wood and up my brisket

Comment

I'm going to keep telling myself that I do not need another smoker. I keep looking at that Mak 1 too! I'm so happy with my PBC it makes me wonder why I would even need another smoker. Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm pretty sure we're still talking about smokers here right? Lol. (Couldn't resist)

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha.

Kathryn

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I recently saw The Good One discussed in another thread here. I had never heard of it before and was perfectly content with what I've got, and now I'm obsessed with it. Ugh!!

• Learn to bake bread
          • Do more pizza's
          • Perfect my brisket cooks
          • Burn more charcoal this coming year than Jon .. probably not achievable though

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            YOU CAN DO IT!

I'd like to see if I can't work with food on a more professional level. Whether it means giving some classes, or something else, I don't know, but cooking is too much fun not to do more of. We'll see what happens. I'm very humble about the whole thing, though, but you gotta have dreams, right?

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good goal. Every time I think people know this stuff I try their BBQ and it reminds me it took a hell of a lot of working and cooking to get where we are. Even though most of us are not at or sometimes even close to our goal, we have plenty enough knowledge to teach others.

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            You will be great at it Henrik!

I'm nut much of a goal setter, but I am a passion pursuer! Here goes:

1. Share at least 50 racks of "best they have ever had" LM Ribs to my friends and friends-in-the-making on #theRibList
          2. Give away 3 "Ribs for 50" certificates to local non-profits to auction off. I get to BBQ, raise money for great causes, and make lots of new friends.
          3. Make a solid connection with a meat source so I can buy ribs (and brisket!) in larger quantities with less hassle.
          4. Get the Brisket cooking down, via lots of practice. #sufferingforagoodcause
          5. Add some smokers to the WSM and Converted Dryer mix
          a. I have an even larger dryer to convert, and this one will have a rotating drum cook feature!
          b. Decorate and pimp out both dryers, and make them more portable on my trailer.
          c. Construct a brick pit behind my laundry business to begin my outdoor kitchen there (ok, this one may not make it this year.)
          6. Buy more charcoal at 4th of July sale than Harry Soo does. I bought 20 bags, thinking this would last a long time...about 3 months.
          7. Have fun and train some more friends/kids/mentees to help in the big cooks.

Yeah!
          paul

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good plan, I bout 20 bags labor day and 20 bags memorial day, I have about 8 left.

I like your number 2, I go to and bid at a dozen or so charity events a year, I think offering up something would be cool! Need another cooker though.

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
          6. Buy more charcoal at 4th of July sale than Harry Soo does. I bought 20 bags, thinking this would last a long time...about 3 months.
          How much does he buy? I bought I think 32 or 36 bags at the Labor Day sale, and I think about 20 earlier at the Mem Day sale. Jon I know bought far more than me.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            That's true. I burnt one whole apple tree up in 2014 by fall. I cut it when it was hot outside, I'd guess late May early June. I burn a lot of fuel, and I'm so thankful it isn't all charcoal. I literally could not afford for it to be all charcoal, 50% sale or not. Most times my charcoal use it to start log fires. It may be more cost effective for me to get an LP tank and log lighter like DWC does.

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Harry mentioned bringing a trailer and fitting all he could on there. I think I'll ask Sams if they have a pallet price, lol.

I have a friend whose family has a peach farm. So I may be able to get some Peach trees for cheap, when I add #8 to my list...Buy a Stick Burner! Or, burn the Peach on the Brick Smoker!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lucky! Peach smells awesome when burning, similar to but different than apple.

I got my kettle in August just in time for the Labor Day sale. I bought 20 bags not knowing what I'd use. I think I've got maybe 4 left (I've got them in a big rubbermaid trash can). I am so not going to make it through the winter and I'm going to have to pay - wait for it - full price.

Comment

TB I'm glad you got your email sorted and can now actually win the GMG, but December's winner just took the Mak!

I can't believe it lasted as long as it did truth be told.

Comment

• The Burn
              The Burn commented
              Editing a comment
              That's okay, I didn't want to pay the tax on it anyway :-)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis