Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-H & FFA Livestock Auctions - something to consider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-H & FFA Livestock Auctions - something to consider

Just wondering if others support local 4-H or FFA kids and programs by purchasing market livestock at yearly auctions?
    These are typically held during fairs (county, state, etc). Except for a few of the BIG shows, where the animals are purchased by corporations, there are many small county fairs and even state fairs where the kids need support.
    Locally, I purchase a beef, hog and goat. (I raise my own lamb). Even with slaughter and processing I’ve come out ahead and end up with high quality meats. I even get to place my cut and wrap order the way I want. The bonus, you support a young person’s project and a great agriculture program(s).
    All you really need is a bit of cash and a freezer (or two). Find a friend to share to split the cost if you don‘t need an entire steer or hog. If you own a business, talk with your accountant, you might be able to write off a portion for advertising.
    Anyway, something to think about and plan for.

I never have enough room or cash.

Even at the little show here in town, 52 pens of chicken broilers brought over $120,000. Think they have 5 birds/pen.

Only $461+ for each chicken. Not a bad deal since you get white and dark meat.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 22, 2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      I never have enough room or cash.

Even at the little show here in town, 52 pens of chicken broilers brought over $120,000. Think they have 5 birds/pen.

Only $461+ for each chicken. Not a bad deal since you get white and dark meat.
      For that price I could afford beef!

Thanks for the insightful post, boardlr!

Comment

Absolutely!! Supporting these kids is important. Our grandsons showed steers all the way through school and won many awards. The youngest is now 22, graduating soon from college, and we raise our own beef to butcher. But we still purchase a hog at the county fair. Great post boardlr!!

Comment

My local farm market has 4H meat in the counter after the fair. I always take advantage of the opportunity to grab some.

Here's a hunk of picnic I cranked up not long ago in support!

Comment

• ontheranch
            ontheranch commented
            Editing a comment
            that is gorgeous!

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks otr, much appreciated

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis