Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silky Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silky Pork

Very interesting article in the Charlotte Observer about "Silky Pork". This is a new breed of pig that produces premium cuts. If I read the article correctly, most of the production is shipped to Japan. Anyone know if it's available here?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ml#.VJdeTF4Bkg

Interesting. I wonder if they are selling breeding stock. Because it sounds like they are only going straight to Japan.

Comment

I would work on the marketing... while silky pork probably works there it is a terrible name for a US product.

Comment

I am afraid of googling that phrase.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          LMAO!!!

Put yer safe search on!

There seems to be a bit of a renaissance in the area of micro farming. I see this even here in Alaska. Along with the Artisan Food Movement, of which we are a part of, many folks are responding to this trend by breeding animals for premium meat products. People want to know they are getting good food. There will be a lot of marketing strategies concerning these products. I think Silky Pork is part of this trend.

Comment

Kobe Pork?

Comment

They need to make a hog that is nothing but a roll of Bacon with legs. The hog hog is one giant pork belly.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I say cross a Dachshund and a hog. Make a really long pig. More ribs!

Wait wait, Spinaker... half shoulder and half bacon!

Anyone know a geneticist?

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Even better. Lets get the ball moving.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
            They need to make a hog that is nothing but a roll of Bacon with legs. The hog hog is one giant pork belly.

I had somebody ask why I don't save money and buy a whole or half hog, I told them when they come up with one with 12 shoulders, 4 tenderloin and a few bellies I'll be first in line.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis