Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any have/had a Hot Rod lets hear from you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any have/had a Hot Rod lets hear from you

I have been in and out of fast cars since before I could legally drive. My current fast ride is a Diesel Pickup Truck.

Barry

If you're gonna use "fast ride" and "diesel" in the same sentence you gotta have pics. Sounds a bit like military intelligence to me.

Comment

I thought the same thing, but a coworker has a Chevy diesel that he drag races. He is into the 9 second range with something like 1,200 horsepower and 1,500 torque. Street legal too so he brings it to work from time to time.

Comment

My favorite car of all I have had so far was a '70 Ford XL 390. I changed out the stock manifold with a 2bbl for one from a Ford 427 PI and put a Holley 4bbl on it. Replaced the stock ignition with a CD and put on duel exhausts. The rear suspension was beefed up with some heavy duty coils and all four shocks were replaced as well. I ran some hot plugs slightly over-gapped and advanced the timing by about a degree. Overall, I got improved MPG. And for some real fun I ran av-gas in it when I got the chance.

I loved that 390, that was a solid engine that was easy to work on. The only real problem I had with it was that it would blow out water pumps almost like clockwork. I got real good at replacing those.

My only regret was that I didn't have the means to bore and stoke it to a 409.

Comment

This is hardly a hot rod, but it's all I have and it's served me well. '03 Impala 3.8 with K&N FIPK and custom catback exhaust. It's pretty quick. I beat a mustang in the accelerating 50+ range and one of those kit cars with the ridiculously big spoiler on the back and coffee can muffler from stoplight. I prefer to keep a low profile until someone wants to get cocky. But I know my limits as this is not meant to be a racer, but it can hold its own it its class.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0644.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	4267

Here is the car I always wished I had, whether it's a hot rod or not is debatable, but I've always had a soft spot for the Monte Carlo SS of the late 80s. Not until the recent camaro body style has anything been sweeter than this IMO.

Name:	monte carlso ss.JPG
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	4269
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice plate on that Impala Aaron. : )

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            That's me! Marking my territory I guess

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            I dig that late 80's Monte Carlo SS. REALLY love the Grand National though.

I had a friend that had a 390 Ford, then he got a 406 with the tripower. His Dad owned an aircraft machine shop. When they got through with it that was one fast Ford.

Fats Diesel trucks don't look special. But in a straight line my Sierra classic for a 7200# truck does pretty good. It just doesn't stop well. Something about inertia and 7200#.

They are all good looking machines and complement your Q well.

Comment

This is my 2013 WRX. It’s my show car. I only drive it in the summer. It’s got 400hp and about 450tq. It’s a fun car. That’s for sure! Click image for larger version

Name:	5E6E8CD6-B8D6-4374-94A7-3A36A190865B.jpeg
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	549172Click image for larger version

Name:	E805F5B7-776A-4A6C-8C82-8089E51010CC.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	549173

Comment

• Idleratchet
              Idleratchet commented
              Editing a comment
              Mudbeaver I’ve owned a few Honda’s myself. One was a 07 civic si and I had a 88 Ef sedan. Loved both of those cars. I’m a big Honda fan. I have a Ruckus too. Love it.

• Mudbeaver
              Mudbeaver commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve had a few Honda bikes, my boy has a crf70, you’d be happy to know I have a b18 sitting in my garage waiting for the turbo kit to go in my buddy’s integra

• Idleratchet
              Idleratchet commented
              Editing a comment
              Mudbeaver Boosted B18 would be awesome to have!

I got a 1970 split nose camaro. She’s got a 540 big block. Never dyno’d it but I estimate that it’s putting out 650+ ponies. Click image for larger version

Name:	E17481A7-646A-4EE3-BCE8-A045CC19E47D.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	549186Click image for larger version

Name:	932D03F5-8EEB-4064-BF17-1DD9FFAFC18A.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	549185Click image for larger version

Name:	39C65EE2-0BF3-422E-A825-4343C614632B.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	549184

Comment

• Idleratchet
              Idleratchet commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful car!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man, what a sharp old beauty! There’s a remote chance I might have assembled the leaf springs on that car. I was working at Chevy Spring & Bumper at the time.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Not a chance FireMan she's got a narrowed ford 9" rear w/ coil over shocks. Sorry brother.

When a sports car can be used for blue water fishing in the Gulf Stream, I will want one.

Until then....meh. If I had $250,000 for any sports car I would rather have a World Cat 32 foot dual console

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Until then ....meh? Wha?

Yea well I consider this a work in progress, I'll get there some day

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Very, very cool.

Two Speed Full Automatic Transmission, Pulled By 20 ROARING HP FORD L-head, Naturally Aspirated
            4 - Cyl Engine With A Holley SGL Barrel Updraft Carburator ‼️ All The Upgrades "HENRY" Alloweed In
            1923‼️ 50 MPH +- Top End❗️❓❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	549202

Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	549206

Views:	31
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	549204

Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	549205
            Attached Files

Comment

• Idleratchet
              Idleratchet commented
              Editing a comment
              This is cool!!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my favorites around here. 👍

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              Turn it into an offset smoker!

Back in the late 60's I drove an innocent-looking 1953 Henry J ... slightly hacked with a Ford 289 (modified to roughly 400 hp), C5 automatic transmission, and a 5:13 ratio rear end taken from an old Ranchero. Quarter mile times in the mid 12's with street tires ... and consistently took a lot of money from proud owners of things like the then new Boss 429 Mustangs. No pics in those days, of course ...

Comment

Name:	ED66EF0B-5F57-4B9B-B878-B1BED0A11836.jpeg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	549256 Had a 2002 Trans Am WS6 for several years. Was a lot of fun but had too many toys in the driveway. It matched my hair! Now I have a 2018 Pacifica. Fast enough and room to haul the wife’s overnight bag.

Comment

Name:	802CF3D7-CE17-4A71-B5E6-57721ACFF730.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	549260 Sold her this spring, 88 mustang, carb 351 5 speed, decided I better keep my lic Click image for larger version

Name:	A391B7A3-B9CD-4668-9304-B3F8EE178CA6.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	549261 ence.... current ride, prolly faster than the stang, tuned to Lil over 400 horse, 6 something torque

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's amazing how Detroit has gotten so much more horsepower out of engines these days. As you say most domestic pickups today would blow the doors off a number of 60's muscle cars, go figure !!

• Mudbeaver
                  Mudbeaver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman heck yeah it’s crazy, 600+ horse 4 cylinders 🤯

Name:	184BA98F-42B9-4D8A-B828-78C1079DBA2C.jpeg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	549274 Had a ‘74 911 street legal race prepared suspension until I realized I wasn’t mature enough to drive it on the street (somethin’ bout a time I was late for a race and caught goin’ 145mph......I did slow down when passing traffic)

Comment

• Mudbeaver
                  Mudbeaver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly y I sold my mustang

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Growin up all my buddies were muscle car enthusiasts. I was the sports car dude. Coming out of high school I wanted a Cobra. They were a little out of my price range, $8500 I think I recall.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis