Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overcoming a mustard allergy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcoming a mustard allergy

Hello pitmasters,
    A household member was diagnosed with a mustard allergy. Mustard powder is a staple in my rubs. Do you have any idea for substitutes? Thanks!
    -RKB

I know that real Wasabi is not found much in the US so be careful, because the American version is usually Horseradish, food coloring, and mustard. Make sure you aren't getting mustard as your mustard substitute!

Comment

I'm by no means a platnologist but I think mustard, wasabi and horseradish are all in the same family? Brassicaceae (sp)

Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 19, 2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Forget what I said. I am no Immunologist. They are related.(as is Broccoli and Cabbage) Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Great, thanks guys. Allergist says mustard is only issue, the rest is ok. The big bad beef rub is the recipe i'm most concerned about.

Comment

I would just omit it entirely w/o trying to replace it in the BBBR. You'll still have the pepper garlic, onion, cayenne and sugar, all the goodies. If you insist on something else, maybe some corriander powder. It is used in pastrami rub, still has a bitter bold flavor. I have not tried it myself in the BBBR.

Comment

This has happened to me many times. I just omit, as Huskee suggests. You normally can't tell the difference, as dry mustard provides part of the "base" flavor, not the primary flavor. For the Big Bad Beef Rub, the mustard can be omitted. I did this myself when I reached into the cupboard to realize that I had no dry mustard. The veal(the intended target of the rub), did not suffer one little bit. Don't worry, just keep on cooking without the mustard. However, for Dijonaise sauces, Chinese Hot Mustard, etc., you're hosed unfortunately. Oh well, they get boring anyway...Good luck and good cooking from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis