Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off topic but very cool pics and sounds from Edwards AFB open house--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic but very cool pics and sounds from Edwards AFB open house--

I realize this is a grilling / smoking / BBQ site, but I also realize we have alot of Veterans in the house (I am not one - I failed the hearing test for the Air Force at MEPS Ft. Jackson some 20 years ago) and probably alot of military and general aviation fans.

Oh - and big guns and explosion fans goes without saying - lol!

This open house was in 2009, but Bernard just updated the page with sound clips -- very cool! The sound of the A-10 coming in for a low pass gives me chills.....

Thanks to President Whats-His-Name we haven't had an open house, air show or Thunderbirds / Blue Angels show at the the Charleston AFB (home to the mighty C-17 III Globemaster) since 2009.

Here is the heading on this truly spectacular webpage:

2009 Edwards AFB Open House

Photo Gallery

Update (Nov 13,'09) - added sound clips for various planes.
    Edwards AFB hasn't had an open house event for 3 years, so there was a lot of interest in the 2009 show. Edwards is the main Air Force flight test center for the U.S. with a rich aviation history behind it. One of the more famous exploits there was Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier in the X-1. Edwards is also known for being the alternate landing site for the Space Shuttle.
    For some reason, I wanted to get there before the gates opened at 7am. In retrospect, it was a darn good thing I did! Even at 6am, there was a line of vehicles waiting to get in. By 7, there was a long line of headlights stretching back on the one lane road from the main entrance. I found out later that as the day wore on, that line would get longer and longer, and it would take some people almost 5 hours before they parked, went through security, got on a bus, and finally make it on base! Needless to say, getting out was really quite nasty as well. The traffic flow and control did not take into account trying to get 250,000 people out at the same time.
    However, IF you could get past the traffic situation, you were in for a treat, as there were some fantastic displays and flying to be seen at the Edwards Open House air show. Oh, and it got HOT too. Something about being a desert and all that.
    Nikon D300 w/70-300mm VR, D200 w/18-105mm VR - Bernard Zee

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/Edwa...Edwards09.html
    Last edited by HC in SC; December 18, 2014, 05:32 AM.

I lived in Palmdale, CA in 08-09 and being retired military and an airplane buff I went to Edwards AFB weekly. They have a museum there called "The First Flight Museum". It showcases every airframe that had it's maiden flight at Edwards. California is unbelievably rich in aircraft history. Check out the Chino Air Museum called "The Planes of Fame Air museum" in the LA area.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool !

Here another treasure trove of airplane info - a "Virtual Museum" of every plane, military or commercial, made by every manufacturer in the world - with spec data:

http://www.aviastar.org/index2.html

Here is an excellent write up on the history of the Fairchild Republic A-10's main gun (Vulcan cannon) in its nose:

http://www.hightech-edge.com/general...tlin-gun/9381/

The A-10 was essentially built around the gun which was developed by GE - incredible technology on a massive scale!

Click image for larger version

Name:	12-19-2014 5-21-50 AM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	41396

Click image for larger version

Name:	12-19-2014 5-22-36 AM.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	41397

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That baby can deliver an unbelievable amount of devastating fire power down range. Especially considering the depleted uranium rounds. I also love how the "Warthog" can take on massive amounts a fire and keep flying. Basically its a 30 mil Cannon with a plane hooked to it.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I took a Practical Aeronautics class with a retired AFA @ Boulder professor who also used to fly A-10s.

He had a trophy made for him out of a Vulcan cannon shell - that dude was BIG!

Imagine a hailstorm of those guys coming at you - wow!

I work with a couple of guys that were in Desert Storm and they said when they heard the high pitched whine of the A-10's Pratt & Whitney's they knew they were safe because help was on the way!

It is unfortunate that the Air Force controls the A-10. It should be controlled by the US Army as it is used primarily for close air support of ground troops. The Air Force is trying to kill the A-10. Just yesterday the A-10 had its life extended again but, they are retiring 36 of them. There is nothing else in the close air support arsenal that even comes close to the support that the A-10 can supply.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah - and they just had Alenia (Italian aircraft company) build several transport planes that were mothballed upon delivery - GEEZ LOUISE!!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, they are talking about using the F-35 to fill its shoes. You have to be kidding me. Plus, the F-35 is $100 mil EACH!! As opposed to $18 Million for the Warty.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah no kidding. Major Craig who taught the PA class didn't have a bad word to say about the A-10. He said they can take getting shot to Swiss cheese and still make it home no problem. Evidently the pilot sits in a titanium bathtub for protection.

The JSF cannot go slow and low enough to provide effective ground support. Sure they can fire and forget a missile, but nothing can lay down a shower of destruction like the A-10s Vulcan cannon. Oh yeah - on the latest variant the can strap on virtually the same fire and forgets and the F-35.

You might could take out a position or two with missiles, but that nose gun can mow down tank after tank and a few buildings in between without bugging out.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis