Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can you hold a defrosted, previously frozen but still cryovac'd brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can you hold a defrosted, previously frozen but still cryovac'd brisket?

I have a cryovac'd whole packer brisket that I froze shortly after buying. I've defrosted it in the refrigerator for the past several days and I was going to do an overnight smoke tomorrow for dinner guests Friday night. The plans have fallen through and I now have this 13-lb brisket - still cryovac'd - in the fridge and no need for that much meat for a family dinner. Anyone have any idea how long it can safely sit in the fridge? If I have to, I'll smoke it and vacuum seal the cooked meat to be frozen, but that's certainly not my first choice. Thanks

I wouldn't wait .. cook it, eat what you can and freeze the rest.

Comment

I have gone as long as a week to 10 days after defrosting cryo'd meats. However, having said that, I get nervous after about 4 days. I've never had an issue with the meat being spoiled, but cook your meat soon. Maybe bbq some and braise the rest(which will freeze well). At the restaurant, we once had a brisket that came in as a manufacturers sample. Of course, I got stuck with using it for something, as we don't use brisket, and I tend to get stuck with the "what the hell can we use this for" jobs. So, I made Chili Colorado with it. I cut it into 1 ½ inch chunks(fat and all!), floured, then seared over moderate heat till brown. I tossed the meat into the pot, then in the pan I seared the brisket in, I sautéed onions, peppers, and leeks(I had to get rid of THOSE too! lol). I placed all in the pot, added cumin, chili powder, thyme and beef stock and simmered. While this was going on, I boiled pinto beans till tender. After a couple hours, the beef was tender, and the beans were cooked, so I drained and rinsed the beans, then added to the beef mixture. Now, we get requests for that chili, and I have to make it once a month. Necessity is the mother of invention, I guess.

Comment

Braising?! Like I cook indoors.

But seriously, thank you. I think I'll try separate the point and the flat (which I've never tried before), put a dry brine on them for 24 hours and smoke it all.

The chili sounds good, but I don't eat carbs (well, less than 20g/day), so the flour and beans take it off my to-try list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis