Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for wood purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa Bob
    replied
    citrus wood that sounds interesting

Leave a comment:

• Gworth234
    commented on 's reply
    I've purchased Peach and Post Oak from Fruitawood. Great wood!

• hokietrax
    replied
    I've had good luck at my local Bass Pro Shop...they have the basics, and I've even found Peach and Orange chunks (haven't tried the Orange). Check 'em out if you have one nearby

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Florida has wood treatment laws. If you're ordering from out of state, make sure they meet the state's requirements.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Have you tried craigslist? Here in Arkansas you can get a rick of the main smoking woods for $50. There is a local guy who cuts them into 5" chunks and sells them in 50lb bags for $5. May not be available where you live but worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• bslogsdon
    replied
    Try your local wood working or flooring shop. I have been using them for a couple of years now and I love it. They always have cutoffs that they can't use and would probably love to not have to throw them out.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I hear you my friend, I have 3 little monsters and if your eyes are not on them something winds up broken.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry for the delay Type2, no I haven't tried any pellets. I don't have a pellet cooker. I've only bought their mini splits, but I think my next load of peach will be 12" splits.

• PRESTON
    replied
    Yeah, I'm just waiting for a day my wife isn't working so I can cook my tri-tip properly without having to make sure my kids don't break an arm! The last cue I did was a simple small chicken. It'll be a very long time before I try to BBQ without someone else watching the kids, believe me.

Leave a comment:

• dprice
    replied
    I ordered a box of 12" pecan splits from them. The experimentation shall begin ....

Leave a comment:

• Bill P
    commented on 's reply
    Aaron, thanks for the info on Fruitawood. I ordered a box of their sugar maple and a box of oak chunks. I can get apple, cherry, hickory chunks at HD but can never find maple or oak even in chips anywhere local. Bill

• PRESTON
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the tip Bill, never thought of that.

• Bill P
    replied
    Hi Preston, I've been very happy with pellets from BBQR's Delight for use in a BGE and a Weber. Nice variety of woods. I often use the pellets when I can't get the wood I want in chunks. Bill

Leave a comment:

• Type2 BBQ
    replied
    @aaron have you tried the pellets from FuitaWood? I ask as I just ordered a bunch from Amazen and they claim to be 100% wood of choice with no oak/alder fill mix also and the prices are a little less (willing to pay for quality though). I cold smoked some cheese with a plum apple I got from them and it was heavenly to breathe in the TBS so sweet.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Great, glad I could help. I really like Fruita Wood, they have such a huge variety you can experiment, and when you find what you like you can really load up on the stuff before they sell out. Free shipping is just icing on the cake. I ordered some whiskey barrel oak staves from them, which if I remember correctly is (charred) white oak, but I'm anxious to try it on my next smoked beef. I didn't care for it on chicken.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis