Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for wood purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for wood purchases

Hello all,
    I'm looking to find a supplier for my favorite cooking woods. I moved to South Florida last year and while I haven't turned over EVERY stone, I haven't had the best luck finding a local small business with a decent supply of smoking wood. Most of what I come across is chips, and I prefer chunks. I can make do with the chips for the most part, as it seems even the local grocery store is carrying a few different varieties, but my problem is finding red oak. I'm a Californian, and grew up with Tri-tip and red oak smoke, it's not easy finding either out here ( readily available at least).
    I thought I would take my newfound membership ability and ask you more seasoned guys where you like to buy wood. I would love to find a small independently run shop that carries the stuff, or can order what I want for me, I'm all about spending money with the locals, but I feel that I may need to start buying online.
    Thank you in advance for any help, so happy to be part of this group.

Preston, I highly recommend www.fruitawoodchunks.com They offer splits as well as chunks, etc, always free shipping and fast shipping too. You can even buy 500lbs if you want. They offer 5 1/2", 6" and 12" splits, or different coarseness of chips.

PS- they have red oak!
    Last edited by Huskee; July 22, 2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure.

• Bill P
      Bill P commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaron, thanks for the info on Fruitawood. I ordered a box of their sugar maple and a box of oak chunks. I can get apple, cherry, hickory chunks at HD but can never find maple or oak even in chips anywhere local. Bill

• Gworth234
      Gworth234 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've purchased Peach and Post Oak from Fruitawood. Great wood!

Thank you for the info Aaron, looks like a stand up company. I do see they have a couple stores in Florida that sell their product, unfortunately both of them are a bit of a hike from where I am. I will say I have looked at a few online places before, and these prices seem very reasonable. I'll be putting an order in today!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, glad I could help. I really like Fruita Wood, they have such a huge variety you can experiment, and when you find what you like you can really load up on the stuff before they sell out. Free shipping is just icing on the cake. I ordered some whiskey barrel oak staves from them, which if I remember correctly is (charred) white oak, but I'm anxious to try it on my next smoked beef. I didn't care for it on chicken.

@aaron have you tried the pellets from FuitaWood? I ask as I just ordered a bunch from Amazen and they claim to be 100% wood of choice with no oak/alder fill mix also and the prices are a little less (willing to pay for quality though). I cold smoked some cheese with a plum apple I got from them and it was heavenly to breathe in the TBS so sweet.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for the delay Type2, no I haven't tried any pellets. I don't have a pellet cooker. I've only bought their mini splits, but I think my next load of peach will be 12" splits.

Hi Preston, I've been very happy with pellets from BBQR's Delight for use in a BGE and a Weber. Nice variety of woods. I often use the pellets when I can't get the wood I want in chunks. Bill

Comment

• PRESTON
      PRESTON commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip Bill, never thought of that.

I ordered a box of 12" pecan splits from them. The experimentation shall begin ....

Comment

Yeah, I'm just waiting for a day my wife isn't working so I can cook my tri-tip properly without having to make sure my kids don't break an arm! The last cue I did was a simple small chicken. It'll be a very long time before I try to BBQ without someone else watching the kids, believe me.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear you my friend, I have 3 little monsters and if your eyes are not on them something winds up broken.

Try your local wood working or flooring shop. I have been using them for a couple of years now and I love it. They always have cutoffs that they can't use and would probably love to not have to throw them out.

Comment

Have you tried craigslist? Here in Arkansas you can get a rick of the main smoking woods for $50. There is a local guy who cuts them into 5" chunks and sells them in 50lb bags for $5. May not be available where you live but worth a try.

Comment

Florida has wood treatment laws. If you're ordering from out of state, make sure they meet the state's requirements.

Comment

I've had good luck at my local Bass Pro Shop...they have the basics, and I've even found Peach and Orange chunks (haven't tried the Orange). Check 'em out if you have one nearby

Comment

citrus wood that sounds interesting

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis