Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xmas Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas Cooks

It was requested that I do another turkey, and I will do my usual batch of meat candy.

I know iit's a little early, but what have you guys got planned for Xmas?

We always do a large Bone-in Prime Rib. I'm lobbying with my old man to finally let me do it this year. I want to throw it on the PBC. He's been doing them in the kitchen for god only knows how long and I think its time to pass the torch.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Bold move, if you don't knock it out of the park the first time, it might be the last time!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      PBC makes a very tasty Prime Rib. Hope you talk him into it!

I am thinking of springing for a Wagyu brisket.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL @ John!

• cdnichol
      cdnichol commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL!!!!!! Not Golden Corral!!! I literally busted out laughing at my desk!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Non traditional, Cornish Hens and Baby backs in the PBC.

Comment

I did a turkey on Big Worm over thanksgiving and my people are demanding that I cook a turkey again for christmas.

Comment

• cdnichol
        cdnichol commented
        Editing a comment
        LMAO @ John!!!!

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        darn... and I know you love that Turkey! Oh well... it's Christmas!

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Smarkley, I can't blame them. I knocked that turkey out of the bark. We had no turkey leftovers

I am going to do pork ribs at some point - probably on the ECB. I want them to lay horizontal so I can pile a huge heapin' helping of HRR on the tops for the pork candy effect. NO SAUCE - lol.

I am doing Huli Huli wings (or maybe just drumsticks - TBD) for a Xmas get together.

We are talking about turkey on the PBC for Xmas dinner - it will be my first and I am looking forward to it.

I will have already done and frozen about 10 lbs of pulled pork for family to take home by then - doing last 2 butts before Xmas this weekend!

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I used PBC's AP rub on one of my Thanksgiving turkeys. Whenever I run into them, my guests still rave about the flavor and how moist that turkey was. I think they're angling for another invite. I had tried Simon and Garfunkel rub on a previous turkey and for my family and guests, PBC AP rub is better.

And like you say, HC, with all the salt in that rub, you can dry brine with it and be good to go.

Have fun cooking that turkey.

Kathryn

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        We didn't care for the S&G rub. With both of you guys recommending it I'll definitely go it's the PBC AP rub / dry brine. Thanks!

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Another for AP rub, great on the turkey. Wife wouldn't eat the S&G and I wasn't much of a fan either. Not a big herb guy though

Going to do a standing rib roast, using the AR technique. Will do it on my Weber 22.5" and using the Smokenator and Party Q. Did a SRR this past weekend for a Scout camping trip and it turned out well. Took the ribs off and with the ribs from the Christmas SRR, I will have a nice rib meal at some point

Comment

I have on the Menu

Deep Fried Cornish Hens
        Smoked Ham
        Homemade Tamales (Using pulled pork I will smoke for the filling)
        Homemade Pastrami (It's a present for two of my friends and for me nibble on in secret LOL)

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
        Brussel Sprouts
        Green Beans With Potatoes
        Corn on the Cob
        Deviled Eggs
        Spaghetti Salad
        Mac & Cheese
        Dressing
        Pico De Gallo
        Dinner Rolls

Apple Caramel Cheesecake
        Sweet Potato Pie
        Blondies

My holiday menus are all over the place... Whatever sounds and taste good to me at the time LOL!

Cam

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          You will be worn out!!

• cdnichol
          cdnichol commented
          Editing a comment
          In all honesty it's a lot but none of it is that time consuming in my opinion minus the tamales. The desserts will be done Christmas eve and so will some of the sides. I've gotten use to my crazy holiday menus LOL! It just takes planning and being organized for the most part. I expect dinner to ready by 3pm

• IrondeQuer
          IrondeQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice, cd! I like mixing it up too. I might have to try that Apple Caramel Cheesecake. It sounds great.

Sounds really good, Cam... can I get an invite???

We usually have Eggs Benedict for breakfast then munch on shrimp, fancy cheese, and other goodies later in the day. No one has asked me to cook anything yet... and I have no ideas, actually. Maybe a turkey breast so we can make sammiches *shrug*

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoke you up a few sausage rolls for breakfast, they are incredible!

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea... thanks John!

I'm in Columbus, Ohio come on down!!!!

Comment

I've been told that X-Mas day is off limits. My wife is cooking a traditional roast and all the goodies that go along with it. However, X-Mas eve we usually do a bunch of appetizers along with a good beer free-for-all! I offered to grill chicken wings. I think I'll do them on my 22.5" Weber using a Vortex-like method. I have those charcoal baskets that are supposed to go at the sides that I will probably move to the center with the typical wings around the edge. Haven't tried that approach before so I will be sure to document.

Comment

After further discussion we are doing a pork "crown roast" for the 25th and a brisket (best I can find) the 26th.

Comment

I mentioned to my Mom at Thanksgiving that i would like to make a Prime Rib at Christmas, and when my sister from down state called and asked if I would help Mom with dinner, I said no problemo !
              Since my daughter is in town from SC this week we are having dinner Saturday. Fortunately Meijers put there CAB bone in rib roasts on sale this week for $8.99/lb so i asked the butcher that i know there to pick me out the best marbled one he had and cut me a 12lb roast. Trimmed it up tonight up tonight salted, and tied up. Plan on following AR's Secrets of Cooking Prime Rib on the pellet grill with Cherry and Pecan pellets. Here are a few starter picks and this is the first for me with a $105 piece of meat on the grill but cant wait to taste it!:P

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654[1].jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	40712 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655[1].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	40713 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1657[1].jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	40714

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you salted?

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes PB it was salted and tied that night dry brine for 48 hours then rubbed Mrs Oleary's Cowcrust for 24 hours.

Originally posted by Powersmoke_80 View Post
              I mentioned to my Mom at Thanksgiving that i would like to make a Prime Rib at Christmas, and when my sister from down state called and asked if I would help Mom with dinner, I said no problemo !
              Since my daughter is in town from SC this week we are having dinner Saturday. Fortunately Meijers put there CAB bone in rib roasts on sale this week for $8.99/lb so i asked the butcher that i know there to pick me out the best marbled one he had and cut me a 12lb roast. Trimmed it up tonight up tonight salted, and tied up. Plan on following AR's Secrets of Cooking Prime Rib on the pellet grill with Cherry and Pecan pellets. Here are a few starter picks and this is the first for me with a $105 piece of meat on the grill but cant wait to taste it!:P

NICE!
              !!

Comment

The past couple of years I have made Rouladen on Christmas, something I learned from my Bavarian mother. It is so, so good! I guess there are other types of Rouladen, but all I ever had while growing up is made with beef.

Here is my recipe in a nutshell:

- Buy thin cut steaks. Here in Texas they sell something called "Milenesa" which is used for a Mexican dish. You can use the same beef you would use for a chicken fried steak, I guess about 1/4 inch thick
                - Pound the slices out with a meat tenderizer, they will expand in area about 25%
                - Dice some onions, pickles and bacon
                - Smear some mustard (not yellow, but something like Gulden's brown or Gray Poupon) on the flattened slice of meat
                - Roll the onions, pickle and bacon up in the beef and either tie off, or use toothpicks to hold it together. You now have a roulade
                - Roll each roulade in oil and then coat with white flour
                - Place the rouladen in a cast iron skillet with a small coating of oil and fry them to brown on all sides
                - Add water to the skillet once browned, about 1/2 inch (sorry for not having more precise measurements)
                - Simmer the rouladen, covered on the stove, for about 3 hours. My mom used to simmer them all day and the smell justs adds to the experience
                - Turn them over once after a couple of hours

The cooking bacon, combined with the pickles and onions and juice from the beef drippings makes an INCREDIBLE gravy. You may or may not want to add a couple dashes of Maggi seasoning to enhance the flavor even more.

You can serve with blaukraut, fried potatoes, spaetzel or any roasted or sauteed mixed vegetables

I hope to make this my family's traditional Christmas meal. We're two years in so far and this will be the third.

Last edited by PenskeFile; December 18, 2014, 11:12 AM. Reason: Forgot the mustard step!

Comment

• HC in SC
                  HC in SC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love me some good spaetzel!! Also like German potato salad!

The roulades sound jam-up too!

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PF you should copy this over to the recipes and techniques channel

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis