Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning up an old, used charcoal grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up an old, used charcoal grill?

So I think I have scored an old used One Touch Gold 22.5" for $20 off of Craigslist. For the price, it will be worth the 40 minute drive. Thinking about making it a dedicated charcoal smoker (though I wish the CajunBandit conversion was still available) or rotisserie and leaving my Performer for grilling, but that's for another thread or discussion.

Question is cleaning this boy. From the photos it looks to be in really good shape, but the inside is a bit dirty. I'll probably just remove the old cooking grate and replace it with a new hinged grate if I don't convert it.

What would you use for cleaning the cooking grate, bowl and lid?

====
    As an aside, when looking at Weber for the differences, I see that they've added a "Master-Touch 22.5" to the mix - like the OTG (which appears to now be called the "Original Kettle Premium") but with a thermometer, the lid holder, charcoal baskets, the basic Gourmet BBQ System grate, and tool hooks on the handle.

I actually did this a couple of weeks ago - but you're getting a $5 better deal! - and it was well worth it.

What I learned:
    1) you just got practically a new grill for $20,
    2) take the stainless off the grill before applying oven cleaner.

The OTG wasn't in great shape, so I pitched the grill and fire grate. I sprayed the insides with oven cleaner and left them to rest in the sun. I put the lid inside a black plastic bag, just to get things a little warmer.

Then it was just a matter of hosing them out, a good wash with soap, water and a plastic brush. I might have repeated the process on some stubborn bits.

The enameling is so good it raised back to a shine. The oven cleaner did mark the stainless on the vent wheel. Had I been more careful, I would have taken it off first. Point 2, above.

I had bought a new fire grate and grill grate for half price in the end of season sales, so I used those to replace the ones I threw away.

Then it was a simple first burn and reseason. No more than a 30 minutes work, with an hour or two for the oven cleaner to do its stuff.
    Matt

Comment

TB I use amonaia on the inside procalin. A plastic putty knife for a scraper and oven cleaner on old grates

Comment

Me I'd just scrape it really good then build a nice hot charcoal fire inside, then scrape the grates again and paper towel them once cooled down later. I'm always leery of chemical residues on anything touching food, but that's probably just me.

Comment

I would be if it were raw steel. The porcelain enamel on the Weber makes it pretty well sealed and old Webers can be really gross.

Dont forget Ammonia is naturally occurring, found in the human body, beef, other proteins, and virtually all foods. It plays an important role in the body’s nitrogen cycle and in helping the body synthesize the protein. It also maintains the pH level that the body needs. While I know its a harsh chemical and dangerous under certain conditions Its not like say ... well... well heck I dont know. Its not like oven cleaner or something.

​Hey wait I use that where the food goes. Oh never ming hehehehe

Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 15, 2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick it up in the morning. And as Jon implies, who knows what the previous owners have done to it or put in it. So I want to give it a really good clean. Then I can put godknowswhat in it and dirty it up all myself

Comment

Pics, before and after!

Comment

Good thinking, I probably would have forgotten.

Comment

How about this, it looks quick. -Alden

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Local man in jail for burning down park pavilion."

Alden, thats chilling!

Comment

Wow. That's nuts. That can't be a cost effective technique methinks.

Comment

It's all fun until someone loses an eye. Or a limb

Comment

Like Jon's suggestion, I've had good results with Ammonia on the inside and grates. On the outside I use Gojo hand cleaner, just slather it on with your hands then buff with a soft cloth, clean as new.

Comment

I ended up using a variety of things - a grill cleaner made by the Simple Green people and some other organic thing. I didn't go with oven cleaner since I didn't want to fire up the grill first to clean it and even on this balmy day it was only 45.

I first thought that the inside of the lid was fairly clean:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	40761

But after the first round of cleaning, and under a stronger light, I noticed a brownish patina and thought I might have taken off some finish. What you see below was almost all over the inside of the ld

Name:	IMG_1080.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	40762

So I also used an SOS pad to get this and the gunk off and then water, of course. One thing that was important was to get the lip of the lid clean, so I could put some gasket material on (had plenty left over from my original order from bbqgaskets.com). Here's the finished lid:

Name:	IMG_1081.JPG
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	40763

The bowl was quite a mess. There was hardened material on the cleaner blades that made me think the previous owner had mixed cement in the thing.

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	40764

The bowl cleaned up well.

Name:	IMG_1079.JPG
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	40765

The grates may be a different story - I think they've oxidized too much. I'll go at them again a little tomorrow but may just replace them

Name:	IMG_1076.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	40766

Name:	IMG_1077.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	40767

I cleaned the outside of the lid, kettle, ash catcher and legs with Bar Keeper's Friend:

Name:	IMG_1082.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	40768

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	40769

The guy I got this from was not the previous owner, he was a modern day Fred Sandford - selling mostly junk from his backyard and garage. This was a find though. Great condition for its age - based on the code on the top vent plate (DZ), this is a 2008 model. For $20, I couldn't go wrong.

Comment

DUDE! That ROCKS! Nice job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            Rubs Promo
                            Meat-Up in Memphis