Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killing Flies, I Mean War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing Flies, I Mean War

I have an outdoor kitchen, and understand flies come with the surroundings. My question is what is the best commercial fly catcher, killer, to help relieve the problem. Cost is not the issue, less flies is the key. Any suggestions on equipment would help. Thanks

Wish I could give you an answer, this summer I had my smoker going and the flies came like mad. Between my wife and I we counted over 80, and that was probably only half the ones we saw. On a normal day with no smoke, we might see 5-10.

Comment

I have tried the old timey roll-out deals you hang from the ceiling and the seem to get lots of flies stuck on them, unfortunately, they don't seem to make a stinking difference. The Screened porch is my only refuge.

Comment

Only thing that works for me is a fan.

Comment

I use the Dyna Trap XL. I works pretty damn well for my cooking area. I live in the country and we have flies and, being in Minnesota, we also have mosquitos like you wouldn't believe. It covers a pretty large area of my yard, patio and cooking area. However, its made to catch mosquitos it still catches a fair amount of flies as well.
          If your really waging war, try to find some Diatomaceous Earth (Amorphous Silica) often referred to as DE. You can find it at most farm supply stores. We use it in our barn, on manure piles and around our kennels. Anywhere the flies maybe able to suck up moisture and feed. At the microscopic level, It actually cuts the flies exoskelaton as they come in contact with it. The powder then sucks the moisture out of the flies and they die of dehydration. (Talk about War!!) This stuff is really effective in the areas we use it. It even cuts the flies down on the manure piles. And the great thing about it is its 100% natural, isn't toxic and is safe around people, animals and pets. They feed it to cattle, hogs, dogs and even people to kill parasites in their guts. I don't know how well it would work in a suburban setting, since you may not want to sprinkle it around, it worth a try.
          If that doesn't work, and your going for WW1 style warfare, I know they sell commercial foggers that caterers and restaurants use in outdoor cooking areas. You buy the fogger and the chemical is sold separately, so you can buy chemicals specific to your needs I know they have food grade fogging chemicals but, I'm not going to recommend one chemical here as I don't use them. And I would hate to screw that up!!
          Hope this helps.

Comment

We have fly problems throughout our spring, summer, and fall due to our neighbors horse pens(among other critters). We hang scent based fly traps all over the place. You mix the scent with water, fill the trap and hang. They work well, but are not a panacea. We get ours at Home Depot or Lowe's. It keeps our small outdoor cooking/lounging area pretty clear. Now, the mosquitos, no-see-ums, white sox, and so forth are horrible here, so, we plant bird friendly plants, and put out nesting boxes. This works pretty well, if you know what birds in your area like for food and shelter.

Comment

Mix up a batch of Tempo in a one gallon sprayer. Follow package directions for mixing. Apply to foundation walls to keep ants and spiders out of the house. Spray on trees, shrubs, and lawn to knock down flies and mosquitoes. Safe for food prep areas. Awesome stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis