Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing burgers, plus Puddy on voiceover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing burgers, plus Puddy on voiceover

Came across these and now I am so hungry.
    http://www.cheeseandburger.com/

Way cool site! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm going to bookmark this! For Sure!

I am getting VERY sick of cheddar cheese. I need some white stuff, pepper jack...just keep the yellow crap.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't laugh - but I made a sammich of some Boar's Head genoa salami and boursin the other day and it was great. I just nuked it because I was on the run, but I bet if you make a grilled cheese with it it would be out of sight!

I like to mix it up with a good Swiss, Havarti or aged white cheddar. Pepper jack is always good as well; bit sometimes all it takes is some good old American process cheese - we use the Kraft Deluxe, once you buy it there's no going back to the singles wrapped in cellophane.

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      Fun fact: the only difference between white cheese and orange cheese is the addition of annatto seed powder.

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      Which is flavorless in the amounts used for coloring.

I went into a local grocery store a few weeks back and they always have something like 10 cheeses to try and this time one of them was limburger. The only thing I knew about it was from cartoons so I figured i'd give it a try, bad move. That stuff is just terrible.

I have become a fan of Gruyere lately, mix it 1:3 with another for grilled cheese and you are in business.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Gruyere is "off the chain". You got it with the grilled cheese.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Little Rascals with respect to the Limburger.

Try this... Goto seriouseats.com and check out all of their stuff on Burgs!

Comment

Also, do a search for "White Castle", burgs Check out the recipes you find. Hopefully, this link will work. http://www.food.com/recipe/almost-wh...burgers-109264

Very simple and delicious!

--Ed

Comment

Gotta support the team [squinty eyes]

Comment

Cool site and some good ideas. We need to teach them about doing a reverse sear on a burger and make it the official way to make their burgers.

Comment

Man. I love cheese. My only problem is buying too much of too many kinds at once. For about 6 months I was able to get mimolette, before it was banned again. You want a great burger and omelet cheese, that's the one. I wish I'd bought more. Now you can't get it in the US. Right now I'm finishing up a block of havarti. Before that it was Gouda. And everyone's digging Gruyere these days! I love Limburger, myself. It smells like old socks, but tastes sublime. There's not a lot you can do with it other than put it on crackers, though. There are recipes out there, but they are pretty much variations of "then spread some cheese on it," that cheese being Limburger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
              Man. I love cheese. My only problem is buying too much of too many kinds at once. For about 6 months I was able to get mimolette, before it was banned again. You want a great burger and omelet cheese, that's the one. I wish I'd bought more. Now you can't get it in the US. Right now I'm finishing up a block of havarti. Before that it was Gouda. And everyone's digging Gruyere these days! I love Limburger, myself. It smells like old socks, but tastes sublime. There's not a lot you can do with it other than put it on crackers, though. There are recipes out there, but they are pretty much variations of "then spread some cheese on it," that cheese being Limburger.
              I do too. I love good havarti, not the high moisture kind. You ever hear of raclette? It's a Switzerland recipe (I don't say Swiss, since it's not "Swiss cheese") made by the Leelenau Cheese Co in northern MI and has won all sorts of awards near & far, although their simple & humble website doesn't shout this. My favorite way to eat it is with a good glass or 3 of wine. Good melting cheese but not my favorite way to enjoy it. It is drier, smells funky but buttery, mild, and sharp all a the same time, and wonderful in the mouth.

Comment

There's not a lot you can do with it other than put it on crackers, though.
                My dog will eat it when it gets tired of licking its butt! Havarti is some good stuff though. I vacuum seal my cheese, lasts pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  I vacuum seal my cheese, lasts pretty good.
                  Vacuum seal works really well. Had a block of WHOLE MILK mozzarella in the fridge for over 2 months. Take it out, grate some, seal it back up.

Whole milk mozzarella is cadillac. Grates OK with a box, melts wonderfully. Can't wait to try it fried.

--Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

Vacuum seal works really well. Had a block of WHOLE MILK mozzarella in the fridge for over 2 months. Take it out, grate some, seal it back up.

Whole milk mozzarella is cadillac. Grates OK with a box, melts wonderfully. Can't wait to try it fried.

--Ed

Make some! I just stumbled across it looking for something else, but my daughter and I made up a batch fresh for some pizza, very good. I used this recipe, the only thing hard to come by for you might be the rennet depending on where you live. I used cheesecloth to strain the whey, which I hear is great for tenderizing meat...

Comment

• Medusa
                      Medusa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      John, this looks beautiful. Don't know if I'll ever do it, but interesting recipe.

You can also make your own ricotta. I think it's just milk and lemon juice, plus some process.

Thanks,

--Ed

• _John_
                      _John_ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Correct, we made some of that first! It is good to use in recipes but has absolutely no flavor plain.

Man. I love cheese. . . . For about 6 months I was able to get mimolette, before it was banned again. You want a great burger and omelet cheese, that's the one. I wish I'd bought more. Now you can't get it in the US.
                    i had to Google this to see why a cheese would be banned. I'll have to take your word for it that it was good

From Wikipedia: "The greyish crust of aged Mimolette is the result of cheese mitesintentionally introduced to add flavor by their action on the surface of the cheese. . . . [
                    ¶] In April 2013, the Food and Drug Administration blocked imports of mimolette to the United States. Cheese was deemed 'unfit for consumption' by the United States Customs and 3,800 pounds of cheese was ordered to be destroyed. The FDA refusal report stated that ;The article appears to consist in whole or in part of a filthy, putrid, or decomposed substance or be otherwise unfit for food.'"

Comment

• smarkley
                      smarkley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Holy Crap!

• Medusa
                      Medusa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I saw a documentary that you wouldn't want to see... another critter was used. I think it was a type of popular cheese that many of us love. Don't worry, this was done somewhere in Europe or Italy.

Just watch a couple of Andrew Zimmerman and "Bizarre Foods" episodes. The other day they had fried leaves or something.
                      Last edited by Medusa; December 9, 2014, 05:15 PM.

Pretty cool how a post about cheeseburger recipes has morphed into a discussion about various cheeses. Making sliders tonite. #1 has the Boursin and I have the Gruyere. Also some Tiger Sauce

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis