Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchers

First of all, congratulations to the Pitmaster Club for reaching the break even point so soon. I'm guessing that it is no surprise to any of us members. Not me at least...
    As you all know, I am venturing into the cattle business. Small scale, home grown grazed beef.
    My first 2 bred cows are coming in spring. Again, I am planning ahead... what does everyone look for in a good butcher? I have my ideas, I want to hear your ideas to fine tune mine.
    When I decide on a butcher, my plans are to have them know my expectations, and appreciate the meaning of a loyal customer with a good handshake!

I would ask around about any and all local butchers. My dad is lucky, there is a family owned slaughter house just down the road. GREAT folks. We raised 2 litters of pigs/year, and every year or so dad will kill a home grown calf. We had enough sheep growing up to keep the BBQ pit going.

I think the biggest thing is integrity, or lack thereof. Steaks that are not cut exactly right is really no big deal at the end of the day. Dad will get some he isn't all too pleased with. Nothing major. Just enough to complain.

Comment

• Eastonbeef
      Eastonbeef commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree on the integrity part. There is one local butcher that I will not use. He assumes the consumer doesn't know their meat cuts. He duped me once and never again.
      In a couple of weeks I have two dairy steers that are going in. Got the calves free from a neighbor 2 years ago, when beef was cheaper. He tells me that the butcher he uses lives really close to me... time to go have a chat with him and see if he has integrity. Thanks for the reply!

Ask them if they grind and wipe choice cuts. The butcher we used this year didn't want to vacuum seal tbones because "they puncture the bags." So we had them split up the cuts. Well what ended up with were completely mangled filets that were about 3/4" thick because they cut them into tbones and then used a dull knife to separate them off the bone... Our black angus hybrids have marbling that rivals any uber expensive prime cuts. What a waste...

Comment

• Josh Peal
      Josh Peal commented
      Editing a comment
      About 5-6 years ago, we bought two top quality Herefords to cross with our 100% black angus. We found that with rising cattle prices, we were getting only slightly less for the lack of pure blood and getting much more weight by the time they got to sale thanks to the hybrid vigor.

We have about 200 head or more at any time

• Eastonbeef
      Eastonbeef commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, I am just starting out with beef. Right now I'm very small scale. I don't know if you've heard about managed intensive grazing or not but I'm going to try it out, it makes sense to me. Low cost beef production... I have a really good buddy the raises Herefords, he is selling me 2 certified bred cows this spring. With close management, I will try to build a quality herd and a quality business. Thanks again for the reply.

• Josh Peal
      Josh Peal commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you'll enjoy the MIRG system. Good luck!

Just kind of realized you were talking as a person supplying, not a customer purchasing, ignore me if you saw pre-edit.

Comment

• Eastonbeef
      Eastonbeef commented
      Editing a comment
      Go Packers!!! Lol, having a good year...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis