Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving "Considerations"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving "Considerations"

Since they are family I won't get too much into specifics, but a normally somewhat reasonable younger relative wanted me to make sure I only used butter in my Thanksgiving preparations as they have a pretty strong allergic reaction to margarine.

I wish I could provide more info, but I wasn't really in the mood to discuss such things with them, though I know it caused long lasting migraines.

Any special considerations for your family?

Yeh, my wife's niece is allergic to just about everything but oxygen. She wanted turkey. So I put together a simple rub, no injecting.

Ribs, did some dry for her, others got sauced.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      That cracked me up, I had a boss that was allergic to everything, he even provided me non-scented deodorant to wear to work because the normal stuff I wore was slowly killing him

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy Crap, amazing that guy made it past age 1 DAY!

She is a sweet girl, and I would walk through fire for her, so cooking a turkey for the first time without injection was really no big deal.

I made the baked beans too spicy - twice. The second time was a do-over from the first where I overdid chipolte powder and I used too much black pepper then. I argued that the second batch was not hot while cooking them, then had to admit later at the table they were also a mite too spicy. Durnit I always make the beans too hot! The wife is on baked bean duty going forward. BTW: margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. Put some on a paper plate next to real butter - you'll see the flies won't even touch it.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything I don't want to cook is always too spicy Luckily I had a blender handy when someone criticized the slight toughness to my brisket (it was a little tough close to the point) I blended up a couple pieces with mashed potatoes and corn so they would be able to eat it. He laughed, but did eat it.

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      That, John, is too funny!

No nuts here, so frying in peanut oil is out! NBD

Comment

I love peanut oil for frying!

Comment

My sister likes super crispy skin, so she brings a breast for me to ruin for her in the deep fryer while the rest of us enjoy the smoked meat.
        My mother frequently requests my ribs, then complains that my sauce is too spicy and the meat doesn't fall off the bone like she thinks it's supposed to. I told her that I make my ribs my way and if she wants them made a different way, she knows where her kitchen is.

Comment

• cadmentr
          cadmentr commented
          Editing a comment
          Your comment about her knowing where her kitchen is, is just too funny and so appropriate. Sometimes these people (I've got some too) should just be grateful they have families to share with and are getting a free meal out of the deal.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
        But have you researched what margarine really is?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis