Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

Paying It Forward - Pitmaster Membership Giveaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jlock
    Founding Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Weber Kettle, lid gasket, and Smokenator.....Perfection! Weber Smokey Mountain, 22.5", DigiQ, Cajun Bandit Door w/compression latch and door gasket.....Party Perfection! Makers Mark in my hand Ruger SR1911 on my hip

Paying It Forward - Pitmaster Membership Giveaway

With this month being the 3 year anniversary of one of the more intelligent decisions I've made---becoming a charter member of the Amazing Ribs Pitmaster Club---I wanted to give something to those who are considering a membership. So I decided to hold my own, very unscientific, contest. The chosen winner will be receive a one year paid membership to the Pitmaster Club, paid for by me. It's my way of showing appreciation for all the great people and the input fellow grillers and smokers provide in the forum.

I don't post as much as I should, but I sure do read a lot of what people post and find that there are no better group of people with a common passion than here in the Pitmaster Club. I've even had the pleasure of meeting a couple of the great contributors here and believe it or not, CandySueQ and fuzzydaddy didn't run away screaming when we hooked up at Smokin' In The Square in Pensacola earlier this year. Great people!

Now that I got that out of the way, here is what I'm proposing:

We'll call this "Where ya at? What ya cookin'?" This is open to all who are currently signed up as a "Free Trial Member". All you need to do is post up a picture in this thread that contains:
    1) An "action shot" of what's on the grill/smoker for your current cook.
    And,
    2) Include in the photo something associated with city/state/region where you're joining us from. For example, as a Floridian I'd include a little plastic palm tree that Mrs Jlock loves to keep around. Have some fun. That's what this place is all about!

Names/pictures will be accepted until 12:00 Noon on Thursday August 31st, 2017 with the random drawing being held on August 31st, 2017 at 6:00 PM (Central). The drawing will be monitored by the law firm of....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCH.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	361682

....so you know this is all on the up-and-up! I will announce the winner that evening.

Just my way of saying 'Thank you' to Meathead and the rest of the staff for a great product, and my simple attempt to expand membership in whatever small way I can.

Smoke On!

Jeff

**Disclaimer** This membership giveaway is in no way driven by, sponsored by, or subsidized by Amazing Ribs. It's my own idea, concept, and money paying for the one year membership.

• HouseHomey
    Club Member
    • May 2016
    • Huntington Beach, Ca. Surf City USA.
    • Equipment
      Primo Oval xl

Slow n Sear (two)
      Drip n Griddle
      22" Weber Kettle
      26" Weber Kettle one touch
      Blackstone 36” Pro Series
      Sous vide machine
      Kitchen Aid
      Meat grinder
      sausage stuffer
      5 Crock Pots
      Akootrimonts
      Two chimneys (was 3 but rivets finally popped, down to 1)
      cast iron pans,
      Dutch ovens
      Signals 4 probe, thermapens, chef alarms, Dots, thermapop and maverick T-732, RTC-600, pro needle and various pocket instareads.
      The help and preferences
      1 extra fridge and a deep chest freezer in the garage
      KBB
      FOGO
      A 9 year old princess foster child
      Patience and old patio furniture
      "Baby Girl" The cat

Erik S.

A generous thing.

Void where prohibited, dealer participation may vary.

Comment

• FireMan
      Charter Member
      • Jul 2015
      • Bottom of Winnebago

I think this contest is rigged!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that's the ticket. Let's get everybody to post, then our chances will go sky high.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Clever indeed!

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahaha!!
    • kmhfive
      Club Member
      • Mar 2017
      • Northern Illinois
      • Weber Kettle -- 22.5" (In-Service Date June 2015)
        Slow-n-Sear/Drip-n-Griddle/Grill Grates (In-Service Date March 2016)
        Pit Boss 820 (Retired)
        GMG Jim Bowie WiFi (In-Service Date April 2017)
        Maverick ET-733
        Fireboard
        Home-brewer

This is a beautiful thing. Y'all gotta get in on this contest!

Comment

• RonB
        Club Member
        • Apr 2016
        • Near Richmond VA
        • Weber Performer Deluxe
          SNS
          Pizza insert
          Rotisserie
          Smokenator 1000
          Cookshack Smokette Elite
          2 Thermapens
          Chefalarm
          Dot
          lots of probes.
          CyberQ

String him up now and get it over with.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Club Member
          • May 2017
          • Northeast Washington
          • KBQ C-60
            PK360
            Thermoworks Smoke
            Thermoworks Thermopop
            Thermoworks Dot

Too bad my trial membership is up in five days. I could post a pic of the KBQ smoking a roadkill deer. In NE Washington state we have two kinds of drivers. Those who have hit a deer and those who are going to hit a deer.

Comment

• Jlock
            Founding Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Weber Kettle, lid gasket, and Smokenator.....Perfection! Weber Smokey Mountain, 22.5", DigiQ, Cajun Bandit Door w/compression latch and door gasket.....Party Perfection! Makers Mark in my hand Ruger SR1911 on my hip

I'm going to keep bumping this so it keeps in the rotation.

Mods, feel free (if it's deserving) to co-locate in other topics/groups.

Smoke On!
            Last edited by Jlock; August 18, 2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• marshall
              Club Member
              • Jul 2017

nice idea !

Comment

• Lion
                Club Member
                • Aug 2017
                • Stuart Fl (Winter) - Siuntio Finland (Summer)

Dang... I just joined and paid...

Comment

• Jlock
                  Founding Member
                  • Aug 2014

The weekend is upon us so I wanted to bump my offer. No trial member takers so far.

Smoke on!

Comment

• Pequod
                    Pequod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Surprised by the lack of entrants. Generous offer on the table. Free year of hanging out with us!
                • ComfortablyNumb
                  Club Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Northeast Washington
                  • KBQ C-60
                    PK360
                    Thermoworks Smoke
                    Thermoworks Thermopop
                    Thermoworks Dot

I suppose I'd best get cooking! My free trial was due to expire today and was prepared to pay up. Logged on and I have a two week extension, talk about enabling a procrastinator!!

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Might as well just do it! Don't wanna forget and get the lockout!

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee That is probably what the others are hoping for! ;-)

• Jlock
                    Jlock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right now your odds are pretty darn high of getting a free year! If you post a pic, of course.
                • Jlock
                  Founding Member
                  • Aug 2014

Do y'all think this would get more visibility from the newcomers/trial members if I copied it into the "Introduce Yourself" forum group?

ETA: I think I was just able to answer my own question. In a quick survey of the first two pages in the Intro section, I saw only one Trial Member post anything in there. Guess this is as good a place as any, unless Site Staff has any suggestions.

Last edited by Jlock; August 19, 2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
                    Club Member
                    • Mar 2017
                    • Clay, New York
                    • - Plain old Charbroil Charcoal Grill
                      - 26" Weber Kettle
                      - Jack Daniels No7, Four Roses

Very Generous, I would be all in. Moderators can help with placement I am sure.

Comment

• purp
                      Club Member
                      • Aug 2017
                      • Bay Area, California
                      • Aging Show Me-born Air Force Brat, or displaced Texan from Florida now a naturalized Californian.

Vision Grills Pro S, aka "The Big Black Avocado"
                        Weber 22" MGS Kettle
                        Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smokehouse
                        Aussie Walk-A-Bout

... I may have addiction issues here ...

Well, I'll raise a hand. Bought the book three days ago after using the site for more than a year and joined the club that evening.

My most popular cook is a simple set of baby backs, using Meathead's Memphis Dust rub[1] and Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. That's how I first found the site — trying to up my standard backyard grilling game. Many, many racks have met with satisfied friends and family in the back yard over the past few years.

Name:	Screenshot_8_20_17__9_44_PM.png
Views:	210
Size:	778.2 KB
ID:	366550

A quick word about the equipment: it's a Vision Grills Signature S Pro series kamado style, pretty much stock. For indirect heat, I toss a 12" pizza pan on the lower grill; for bigger/longer cooks, I put a disposable aluminum water pan on top of that. It's a bit ghetto; I figure when the equipment is holding me back, I'll level up. We're not there yet, by a loooong distance.

Name:	Screenshot_8_20_17__9_46_PM.png
Views:	76
Size:	812.5 KB
ID:	366551

So I'm prepping for a neighborhood charity rib-off and looking to try some new things, so I've been doing some Rubsperimentation as a way to branch out. Last weekend I did four different rubs: Memphis Street Dust (natch), Southern Living's Memphis Rub[2], Trager Grills Smoky Spice Rub[3], and Dad With A Pan Texas Baby Back Rub[4]. I decided to do these on country-style boneless pork ribs because it's easy to rub separate batches and easy to cut them into morsels for dipping in various sauces to see what works well with what.

Name:	Paying_It_Forward_-_Pitmaster_Membership_Giveaway_-_The_Pit_Forum_and_Family.png
Views:	99
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	366552

The first weekend's rubsperiments quickly narrowed the field; the Southern Living and Trager recipes fell by the wayside as interesting, but not particular to the judging panel's particular tastes. The Dad With A Pan rub showed promise, though half the panel immediately DQ'd themselves due to spiciness, and those of us in the other half found ourselves struggling to finish two ribs without needing a milk break.

Name:	Screenshot_8_20_17__9_50_PM.png
Views:	71
Size:	845.1 KB
ID:	366553

So, for this weekend, I decided to tweak the DWaP rub into something I'm calling "Kansexas City Rub"[5] and try to adapt Meathead's amazing Banh Mi preview into something that might be rib-worthy. Both worked out well, though I don't think I'm yet smart enough to take the wonderful, subtle banh mi rub and glaze into a rib that really sells its roots.

Name:	Screenshot_8_20_17__9_51_PM.png
Views:	73
Size:	714.6 KB
ID:	366554

For sauces, I've been sticking to bottled sauces that I like, figuring that someday I'll be brave enough to tackle sauces and glazes. So, to make rubsperimenting easy, we've been sticking to three favorites and dipping in them to see how things match up. The two Oso sauces are tomato-based with excellent flavor, bringing different levels of sweet heat.

I'm pretty happy with the Kansexas rub; it brings the heat and holds up well with any of the three sauces. The Banh Mi seems happy enough with any of them, but the Turf Sauce seems to allow some of the ginger and five spice flavors through. Like I said, I don't think I'm good enough at this yet to really make that one sing.

Next weekend: time for racksperiments, finished on the grill. Two rubs, three sauces, and nail down what's going to the rib-off on Labor Day.

Happy smoking!

[1] http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...phis_dust.html
                      [2] http://www.southernliving.com/recipe...ck-ribs-recipe
                      [3] http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes...baby-back-ribs
                      [4] http://dadwithapan.com/recipe/texas-...aby-back-ribs/
                      [5] That's kan-ZEX-uhs, and where was *your* mind, anyway? Yeah, the name needs some work.
                      [6] http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...andwiches.html

Comment

• kmhfive
                        kmhfive commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wonderful experimenting! Keep us posted.

• Mudkat
                        Mudkat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great write up and ribsperiment! Let us know the results. Good luck on fhe rib-off and drawing!

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Check out the Chinatown ribs recipe on the site for its spicing. You'll like it, and the red coloring is optional.
                    • ComfortablyNumb
                      Club Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Northeast Washington
                      • KBQ C-60
                        PK360
                        Thermoworks Smoke
                        Thermoworks Thermopop
                        Thermoworks Dot

Finally got the cook in. Yesterday it was windy and I didn't want to risk setting the county on fire. Today was calm, until after I got the fire started, wouldn't you know it! I kept the hose close and wetted down the dry grass around the smoker. Thankfully, other than some cooked meat and garlic, the afternoon was uneventful.

Name:	DSCF1185.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	366567

Getting the start up coals going. Washington is the 'Evergreen State', in the background is Grouse Mountain covered with larch, fir, and pine.

Name:	DSCF1189.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	366568

First in, chicken wings.

Name:	DSCF1193.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	366569

NE Washington is known for garlic. We grow about half an acre, so we going to roast some with the meat.

Name:	DSCF1197.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	366570

All loaded up, garlic on top, chicken in the middle, and a thick cut Choice New York cut steak, albeit a tad difficult to see.

Name:	DSCF1188.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	366571

A KBQ at work, mesmerising!!

Name:	DSCF1199.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	366572

Chicken comes out first and is placed on top of the firebox to crisp up. I was told by Mrs. CN to hurry as it was burning. Meanwhile, Molly our rescue dog from Yakima manages to find ways to get into most pictures.

Name:	DSCF1200.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	366573

Next the steak.

Name:	DSCF1204.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	366574

Name:	DSCF1205.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	366575

Name:	DSCF1206.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	366576

Everything brought together. Steak and chicken wings with some garlic bread. The heirloom beans, corn, garlic potatoes and smoked roasted garlic were grown on our farm. The state vegetable is the Walla Walla onion, so I added a couple of onions along with our garlic as side dressing. I can't call them Walla Walla because federal law (you read that correctly, FEDERAL LAW) prohibits me, but they are the same onion, only grown in Stevens County, WA. I can call them Stevens County Sweets, maybe not as famous but just as good!

Comment

• purp
                        purp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That looks outstanding, CN! I haven't tried roasting garlic alongside a cook yet. Going to have to give that a run!

• Mudkat
                        Mudkat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great post and food! Love how your meals always have something raised or grown on your farm. Reminds me of my childhood. Nice touch with Grouse Mountain in the background! Good luck on the drawing!
                        Last edited by Mudkat; August 21, 2017, 06:09 AM.

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great lookin' food, really nice pics, sweet lookin' Doggie!!!

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                    The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                    The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                    The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                    We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                    GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                    The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                    This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                    A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                    FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                    Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                    Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order