Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey skin separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey skin separation

When carving the turkey yesterday, as recommended across the grain, the skin just separated from the meat slices. The bird was cooked to 165° @ 325° on my Egg. What do you think caused the skin to remove so easily? BTW, I had to leave the turkey in a warm oven @170° post cook for about an hour and a half prior to carving.

I had the same issue with my turkey. I cooked it at 325 on my WSM until the breast reached 160 and the skin got crispy with a beautiful dark color--but separated when I carved the meat.

I'm chalking it up to the fact that I separated my skin from the meat a little when I went under the skin to apply oil and the S&G rub. But I did observe that turkey skin, in general, seems to hang loose on the bird.

Comment

Mine did as well, but I didn't really think too much of it. I figured that since I had spread the rub under the skin (as well as on top) that the skin would be very loose.

Comment

Happens every time I do chicken too. The fat layer that attaches it renders out, it becomes just a wrapper after it cooks...all the more so if you lift & separate the skin to rub under it.

Comment

Well, I feel much better now! I thought I really screwed something up. BTW, the turkey was moist and tasted awesome!

Comment

A couple family members like skin, but everybody liked meat near the skin better. Put some rub under the skin and it seems to hold it on and mix with the fat and make it awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis