Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp Drop

Kamado at 325 and holding Put in drip pan and bird. Dropped to 250 Do you just let it ride back up slowly or open vents a bit. Plus how does that figure in to your cook time? Thanks

Open vents up. You've added a lot of cold mass to your pit. Was the water in the pan warm?

It'll need more fire to maintain heat. The lower temp is going to lengthen your cook time.

Comment

Not warm water. I missed that in the directions. Having hard time getting back to 300. Just be later when we eat

Comment

No worries. It's easy to miss a step the recipe is so extensive, Luckily, all you're really done is extend the cook time a bit. If folks are anxious and you have trouble getting back to 325 you can take it to the oven to finish. Let it go an hour or so on the grill so it gets some smoke flavor, then make a game time decision on keeping it on the grill or transferring to the oven.

Comment

Made my own bbq guru with hair dryer and cardboard. Got her back up to 325. Thanks. Was worried. Did not want to take everything out to add more charcoal. Should have plenty

Comment

Well that was quick thinking. Hopefully you used that on a low setting and avoided ash

Comment

Was a little worried about ash but was not a problem At an hour later. Skin was not quite as crispy as would like. But I yanked the bird th second it hit 160 as people were standing around hungry. I figured the deflector plate would limit ash People loved the turkey. Thank you

Comment

WTG Johnny! Nice recovery. Congrats

Comment

Finished bird. Before garnish
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks good! The skin isn't as crispy as it could be, but now you'll know how to make that happen next time

Comment

Good job Johnny. Better than my first attempt.

Comment

Johnny, I've use my wife's hair dryer too. I even tried to figure out a way to tape it to a pole or a stick. I decided to just get the BBQ Dragon already. Best investment for my cooker (after my thermometers) that I've made. Check it out! ------> BBQ Dragon

Comment

So if next time Do I heat the gravy water first ? Do i bring the kamado up to temp with prepped gravy pan then add bird at 325. How will skin get crispier? Less opening of lid I suppose. Thanks

Comment

Johnny, I did the same as you and didn't put heated water in the pan. I left the pan on the cooker to heat for about 30 minutes until temp came up to 325. I have a BBQ Guru though and that helped a lot! It was steaming a bit by then. The problem with doing it like that is I had to pull everything out to add my smoking wood. Put it back together and put on the turkey. The kamado's a great cookers but a pain to add more wood. At the end of the cook the bird looked awesome .. nice color however the skin still wasn't crispy. Also the gravy only reduced 1/3 and was weak. I think the kamado's hold to much humidity and therefore the skin will not crisp up. Next time I might not use a gravy pan, or put in less water, or cook at a higher temperature.

Comment

yep cdd- gravy was a little week - wife added salt and flour!- yikes not sure if skin will get crispy in Kamado
                              will try with some chickens in the near future. Thanks all for input

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              Rubs Promo
                              Meat-Up in Memphis