Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a Heritage Turkey Cost in Your Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does a Heritage Turkey Cost in Your Area?

I ordered a 2 fresh turkeys (just garden variety turkey) from the butcher shop and was surprised that the cost was $4.29 a pound. Seems like I used to pay half that for fresh turkey when we lived in Ohio.

Then I checked out the price of heritage turkeys (it's a long story) and found it to be $6.29 a pound which worked out to over $100 per bird for 16+ lb turkeys. I really had sticker shock then!

Those frozen Butterballs at the grocery store were looking better and better.

Are these prices typical?

Kathryn

Very typical.
    I get Diestel brand, the smallest the had was an 8.45 LBS. Cost me $33.50
    While I was shopping around I saw Heritage birds going for $6.99 per pound.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never heard of Dietstel brand fresh turkeys. It's good to know that heritage birds there are in the same ballpark as they are here, though.

I thought you weren't going to make a turkey this Thanksgiving. I know turkey is not a fav for you. Did someone in the family talk you into it?

Kathryn

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter and niece want one. I bet you they just want that center piece. I used to fool them with a huge roasted chicken but they're grown enough to recognize it. LOL

Hi Kathryn: I've seen Heritage turkeys go for anywhere between 3.99 and 6.29 per pound in my area. I was wondering if they fed them gold pellets for food.

Lately I've been buying just your run of the mill frozen utility grade turkeys, when they go on sale for between .79 cents and .99 cents a pound.

I've gotten rave reviews to every turkey I've smoked since getting my Bradley (3 so far) and I'm definitely planning on smoking my Christmas turkey even if I have to shovel a path to the gazebo/smoker. No more oven dry birds for me.

You have to laugh at that Walmart commercial where she says to roast the bird upside down for the first hour. I did that once upon a long time ago, and what a mess to clean up after flipping it over.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, cadmentr. You have a great Thanksgiving, too!

I made a Butterball turkey about a month ago on the PBC and it was outstanding! What great flavor and so nice and juicy.

I may go back to Butterballs!

Kathryn

Seems about right, but I haven't done any better than my cheapo birds.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll let you know if these birds are worth the bucks.

Kathryn

I don't know what you mean by Heritage but I Paid $3.20 per pound for a fresh killed bird in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia to be exact. Sure I could havea got a free frozen one, but I am smoking this one and I always work with the freshest ingredients I can get. And that said sometimes my food is just above mediocre, the nice thing is usually I am the only one aware of it!

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that was my thought too--use the freshest available. I just wasn't prepared to pay $70-$100+ per turkey. I bit the bullet and paid it, though. I'm smoking one of the turkeys and roasting the other conventionally in the oven.

Kathryn

Not sure if they are heritage but, we can get Diestel Turkey Ranch FRESH TURKEYS

for $2.49 per lb --

Comment

So here's the story: I ordered two fresh turkeys and was surprised that they were $4.29 per pound, but what the hey, it's Thanksgiving and I've got a bunch of folks coming to the house for dinner.

Then when I get to the butcher shop on Monday to pick up the spatchcocked turkeys that I ordered two weeks ago, they told me that the supplier didn't send any birds over the weekend because the colder weather in the past couple of weeks stunted the birds' growths. Consequently there were no 14 lb turkeys to be had. BUT they had 16 lb turkeys they could sell me, so I said OK.

It wasn't until they were finished spatchcocking the 16 pounders and ringing them up that I twigged to the fact that they were the $6.29 per pound heritage turkeys. I could have had a heckuva fine Wagyu brisket packer for what I paid for those two birds.

They are heritage turkeys, not the regular fresh ones that I placed the order for but I knew there would be no way I could safely thaw out two grocery store birds before Thursday. Well, I could but I didn't want to use any of those shortcut thawing methods. So I was pretty much stuck.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; November 25, 2014, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow... you are stuck. Thats ok, I bet they will be GREAT!

I did have a smart ass remark all cooked up about Heritage turkeys though... something along the lines of... 'Does Heritage mean that they just Old Tough Birds?'

LOL... not funny I know, but well it kind of is hahaha

• IrondeQuer
        IrondeQuer commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that's outrageous. Are there other butchers in your area? I wouldn't go back if I didn't have to. Hope the birds are great!!

Well, the butcher shop owner has offered to reimburse me the difference between the two fresh turkeys I actually ordered and the two heritage turkeys that they (mistakenly) sold me. What good customer service!

Methinks that a couple of his guys might have gotten fussed at, since he told me that all of the heritage birds had been on special order, so since I have two of them, two of his customers will not be getting their heritage birds.

I felt bad about this, but since I live an hour's drive away, I was not eager to take 2 hours out of my pre-Thanksgiving prep to return the birds only to have no turkeys at all. The butcher shop owner did not expect me to do this anyway. He was just grouchy at his workerbees for the snafu.

I'm a bit antsy about making the heritage birds since Meathead says they are closer to the turkey breeds indigenous to the US and may be gamey-tasting. He recommended trying one first before committing to making one for the big day. Oh well, there went my window of opportunity! He also says they don't have as much white meat as grocery store birds.

Goodness, I hope they're not gamey tasting, since I never intended on having heritage birds in the first place. They're Joyce Farms Black Heritage Turkeys (they're white, not black!) and have been written up in Saveur magazine, apparently. From what I read about them on the internet, they're delicious with great texture and tender and juicy when cooked. I just hope they're not an acquired taste. It would be sort of like screwing up a time-honored recipe of mac 'n cheese, since my family and friends are so used to the comfort food turkey taste they've come to know and love over the years.

I'll know tomorrow. I'm sure the PBC will work its magic on one, and the Convection Roast setting in my oven will do the other one justice.

Kathryn

Comment

I just picked up my fresh heritage turkey from a local farm here in Lovettsville, VA and it was $7.00 a lb. Its a lot but I knew that was the price going into it. This will be the first year I am smoking a heritage breed but I think it will be worth it. I use heritage pig breeds like Berkshire and Black Hog and think they are 10 times better than your average butt from the market.

Comment

Thanks milobeto for the input. It sounds as though the heritage turkeys I bought were in the appropriate price range. Who knows, if my family really like them, I may get them on purpose next year! A Berkshire pork butt is on my Christmas list. It's good to know they're worth the investment. Kathryn

Comment

I bought a jennio for 58 cents a pound and a fresh bird from a local grower for 2.00 a pound. I have decided to do a test and see if anyone notices a difference between the two birds or how much of a differance. It will be interesting to see if anyone picks up on it. I will post my findings of this most un-scientific experiment. I am also doing a tri tip and a homemade pastrami. If you wonder why so much meat we generally have a crowd of 20 people or more.

Comment

• milobeto
              milobeto commented
              Editing a comment
              That sounds great Charchamp.... I would like to see the results.

I'm back to report that the heritage turkeys that I made for Thanksgiving were amazingly delicious. Both of them, each cooked differently, were excellent in their own right. I made one in the conventional oven and the other on the PBC. Both were juicy and tender with great texture. However, my family and guests preferred the heritage bird done on the PBC to its twin done on the convection roast setting in the oven. They loved the smokey flavor and the PBC All Purpose rub that I used on it.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another heritage turkey or two next year. In the meanwhile, though, I'm going to PBC a Butterball turkey in exactly the same way I did this one and see how it compares. A side-by-side comparison would be great but I'm not quite ready to ante up for another heritage bird anytime soon!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis