Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about slathering mustard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about slathering mustard...

Does anyone slather mustard on their meat (ribs, briskett, whatever) before they apply the rub???

Is it just the competition guys who do that?

And, why is mustard slathered in the first place? What purpose does it serve?

Thanks In Advance...

I used to but now I prefer oil. I can't taste much difference either way, I just like how the oil helps rub adhere a bit better. MH talks about mustard slathering in his pulled pork article. It'd be worth checking out.

Comment

From most of the articles and posts I have run across here say the difference in taste in using mustard vs oil is negligible.

Comment

I'm with Pit Boss. I used to use mustard but now I use oil. The only reason I use any slather is to help the rub or whatever you're putting on to help adhere to the meat. It seems that without it, the rub just bounces off. I think you would have to put a lot of mustard on to get any kind of flavor. In which case you'd be better to put some mustard powder in your rub if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks all... I never have used mustard, as you can tell. I have always slathered enough oil on to get the rub to stick... I know that the oil helps activate some of the herbs in the too.

Comment

I took a tip from Huskee a while back and started using no stick spray. Man its the bees knees. Super easy. Not that oil is difficult or anything.

Comment

Oil seems to work better to me, when I use mustard if I have to set a rack on top of another to take out to the grill it seems most of it stays on one or the other. I call it the Oreo effect.

Comment

Me too Jon. I bought a refillable bottle that you pump to pressurize. I think it's called Misto; Pampered Chef makes one also. They not only save the cost of expensive cans sprays, but you can use the oil of your choice.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the tip!

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use a lot of Pampered Chef equipment as my daughter use to be a PC demonstrator. Good quality equipment.

I stick with cheap yellow mustard because it's less expensive than my favorite oil and imparts no flavor.

Comment

I use yellow mustard on my ribs before applying rub. It's worked for me for 15 years or more of ribs.

-Alden

Comment

I've done a side by side on mustard and spray oil (Pam). I couldn't tell, neither could the family, which had been done with which. I'd say it's largely your preference! Spray oil makes no mess, except for some overspray on the counter, and in one instance my phone. (That was fun). I didn't use enough mustard to make yellow ribs, just a light swirl of it, enough to make the ribs wet & tacky.

Comment

It helps break down the fat. So if I have a fattier piece of meat, I 'll put mustard on in advance.

Comment

I use ole yellow mustard sometimes, oil sometimes, and cooking spray sometimes. They are all great. We are going camping next week and I got a rack of back ribs and I think I will use the yellow mustard to help hold the Greek rub I am going to use.

Comment

I can see where the vinegar in the ball park yellow mustard would help the meat start breaking down somewhat.

I have a good 24 hour steak marinade that is 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 soy sauce I use on cheaper cuts of meat.

The meat would need to sit for a longer period of time for the vinegar to work its magic, though.

Looks like it is 6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other and really comes down to personal preference.

I'll stick with the spray oil (usually olive, but sometimes vegetable) for now because it has spoiled me for ease of use.

Beefchop does have a point though if you are using expesive oil in your refillable sprayer or the OTS spray cans - the yellow mustard could have a price advantage.
                          Last edited by HC in SC; November 26, 2014, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I use mustard on pork butt because my wife says it tastes better than when I use oil.

Comment

• smarkley
                              smarkley commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good rule of thumb - take the wife's suggestion (unless it is really horrible) - in the long run it helps when you want more toys! LOL

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis