Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Math Question for people who need to watch sodium intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math Question for people who need to watch sodium intake

I have a question that might help people who need to watch their sodium intake (me LOL) - is there a way to calculate the amount of sodium in mg that a person could be ingesting when eating a meat that has been *enhanced* by say, a 12% brine solution, like is in most store bought turkeys?

I am thinking Huskee or Kathryn answered this one time, but I can not find it... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance... Steveo

Steveo, what kind of salt are you using? My wife had a sodium problem but, when we switched to Himalayan Salt the problem went away. She use to get swollen ankles and now they aren't. She still watches her salt intake but she doesn't have to watch it that close and her sodium is down. The body has to have some sodium because of the sodium potassium pump in the body. Himalayan Salt has a lot of other minerals in it that regular table salt doesn't and for some reason the body likes it better.

Comment

Thanks Barry... we have been using Eden Celtic Sea salt.. the sodium mg is lower than kosher. I do want to try the Himalayan salt though, thanks for reminding me!

My salt problem is really mostly due to a heart problem last year (mitral valve replacement) - ever since that I have a terrible CHF problem and watching salt for me is imperative... I am on some real heavy duty diuretics too, but I still have to watch salt intake like a hawk. If I get into something a little too salty (like a store bought pizza) I can gain 5-8 lbs of water overnight.

Anyway, since I watch it so close, I thought it would be nice if I had a way to calculate the amount of sodium in these 12%, 5%, or whatever % solutions. It would probably be like so many mg of sodium per oz. of meat.

Comment

The solution percentage is only one of the variable. The amount (volume) of the solution, how much is out gassed or lost in the cook,etc. I will be really hard to calculate if you don't know all the variables. And I thought my gout and high blood sugar was a pain in the back. I try and watch all intake and make sure it is in moderation so I don't get more problems.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah... I think you are right. There is probably a variable that is missing... a suchAndsuch % solution is probably not enough info.

Here is something related....my turkey has 200mg per serving, which is 8% of your RDV, and it is from app. 3% brine solution

Look on the nutrition label, Chris. If it has more than 60-80 mg sodium (per serving) listed, then fo' sho' that turkey is already brined. For example, Butterball says its turkeys contain 200 mg sodium per serving. Definitely been brined unless the turkey pen contained a salt lick.

Kathryn
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 25, 2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jerod!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis