Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running smoker, test for T-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running smoker, test for T-Day

Fired up smoker, using Royal Oak hardwood, minion method. Set up new ET-732. Outside air temp 43 degrees. Nothing in smoker except grill grates. Temperature holding around 480. if I have same ambient temp do you guys think I can maintain 325 with spatchcocked 14# and gravy pan done MH's way. I am going to try and find Kingsford for the cook but am not sure if it is available in stores this time of the year. Smoker just hit 511 been running for 36 minutes so far. As we speak my welders gloves arrived and still awaiting my thermopen. I have 2 bottom dampers slightly closed and top open 100%. Maverick reading from top grill. WSM 18.5

It sounds like you'll hit 325F with no problem. While you have the cooker going today try putting in a pan holding a couple quarts of water. If you can maintain 325F with water in there you'll have no trouble with the turkey.

Comment

I think you can hold 325 in a WSM no matter the ambient temp. You just may need to add fuel as you go if its colder (and dont wait too long to do so).

edit:

If you running a test right now dial that down 350 ish right now and see how long it will hold it. There pretty forgiving other than rain in my experience.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 22, 2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dave and Jon, just added water pan with 2 quarts, temps at 325 after a few minute recovery and looks like it is still climbing, gonna take Jons advice and dial it back a little

Comment

Dialed down and holding 368 degrees. i used cold water in the pan, thought it would have dropped lower than it did

Comment

It can be hard to get temps down once you have the coals roaring. Try spritzing part of the coal heavily with water.

Careful doing that when you have food in the WSM, though, as it'll cause ash to fly around.

Ah, or better yet, take a few of the lit coals out!

Comment

That water heats up fast. Once it drops you can hold it. Even if you need to shut the top. There lots of air moving IF you dont have gaskets.

Comment

Dave right now it is running 360, good thing my welders gloves arrived today, I would have never thought of them without getting the info here. It's been running a solid hour. I feel much more comfortable. Gonna spatchcock so cook should be quick. Yes updraft and ashes flying not good. Temp still dropping slowly 349 now, that water pan is helping. I was pretty nervous about the gravy pan lowering temp, I really did not want to preheat, figured the smoke would like all those goodies nice and cool.

Comment

Good ideas on all this umamidadi... best thing for Turkey day jitters is to cook something! I am doing double pork butts today on the PBC

Comment

• (umamidadi)
                    (umamidadi) commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have enough time as I took vacation this week, great suggestion, when I pick my turkey Monday I will grab a pork butt and see what happens with the kingsford.

Thanks everyone for the support, she ran at 325 till 4pm when I pulled my probe. Went food shopping and was able to get 2 16.6 pound bags of Kingsford blue. I will cook with that which probably is a lot more efficient from what I hear on this site. Got most of the stuff I need now and feel a lot better about this cook. It is only me and my 13 yo son and I was nervous, imagine if actual guest were coming. I am sure some neighbors and so will get a taste, thanks again you guys are a great bunch. I love the MH writes, at times he describes a burger with words I have to look up and then he talks about putting machine screws and bolts in a smoker, I think that is so great. I have watched the shows with him, great guy!

Comment

Awesome. Glad to hear things were running so well after a few tweaks. I think you're set up for success.

Comment

I thought of a few things to say while reading the posts here, and everyone pretty much covered it. My first thought was "lump? no!". Then I thought- dial back the top vents to lower the heat. Then I thought Kingsford should be readily available...then everything got resolved as I kept reading. Then I thought I really had nothing to add to this convo. Then I thought I'd just talk about how I had nothing to add to this convo!

Comment

Have fun with that turkey cook, umamidadi. Let us know how it turns out. The spatchcocked turkey photos I've seen on WSMs have been so pretty--nicely browned, crispy skin, tasty moist meat is what I see in the reports.

One guy laid his spatchcocked turkey out on a cooling rack (the kind used for cookies, etc.) and then just transferred the cooling rack and turkey together to his Weber grill so he didn't have to mess with lifting the turkey and possibly tearing the skin in the transfer. He cooked that turkey with the cooling rack still in place on top of the grill grate. That turkey was so pretty when it was cooked.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis