Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Salt Go Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Salt Go Up?

So I re-watched the salt seminar, but I am still confused about something. That is, when applying salt (well) ahead of time, does the meat actually pull it up (against gravity)? I have been salting both sides of the meat, but lately I have been wondering if I would be better off just salting the top.

On a similar note, this seems like it might be a good idea for brisket Even after over 24 hours, salt does not seem to absorb into the fat cap. So, with a brisket, would one be better off just salting the non-fat-cap side and letting it sit longer?

Osmosis is generally strong enough to counter gravity, so yes it goes up.
    Some people trim the fat cap, but I notice that on the brisket page Meathead recommends leaving about 1/4". I suggest you ask your question as a comment there, as I've noticed he has able to follow and reply to recipe comment questions, but not to the higher volume forum.

Comment

Salt moves primarily through diffusion. And yes, it will go up down or sideways, it is not gravity-dependant. A great resource for you to check out now that you've viewed the seminar is Meathead's "The Science of Salt" article (formerly titled The Zen of Salt).

If you're going to dry brine you should get into the habit of salting your meat on both sides, even the ends, 360*. Just make sure you only use the recommended amount for the size of the meat you're using. The dry brining article specifies this.

I salt fat caps on briskets for completion's sake. I trim my fat cap down thin on briskets though, and I remove as much fat as I can from pork chops, steaks, butts etc so the salt gets into the meat. Plus then there's less to trim on your plate (unless you eat all the fat).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis