Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share the music

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, I suppose Blaze Foley would certainly enjoy some BBQ. (Take a couple minutes to appreciate this one. This is a truly great American song.)

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Quote about Foley from his friend Townes Van Zandt: "He's only gone crazy once. Decided to stay."

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. But this is a freaking awesome song. He wrote some simply amazing songs: "If I Could Only Fly" is incredible.

Townes:

Someone once asked Townes why he wrote so many sad songs and he said, "I don't write sad songs I write hopeless songs."

Comment

• Bruce54
      Bruce54 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. First time I heard him do P&L couldn't get it out of my head for months.

Musical preference, like any preference, is a very personal thing. Just like your choice of pet, spouse, car, and job. When I have the music rolling, I put my phone on a speaker and hit shuffle. I play anything from 1950s-2000s country, 80s-2000s rock, and the occasional pop or even R&B tune. My absolute favorite music is 50/50 80s-90s hairband rock and 90s-early 2000s country.

The first guitar solo I ever learned was the one to Comfortably Numb. Although I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, it was a fav song of mine for a couple years as a teen, and so was On The Turning Away, and I love the guitar riff to You Better Run. My favorite band since I was a kid in the 80s through today was and is Def Leppard. I get teased a lot by my buddies though, they think DL only made one song and burnt out long ago (not true, still touring & making albums after 40yrs together). I always say "Hey, you don't have to like what I like, you don't have my ears, I do."

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I am also a big hair metal fan (Maybe I shouldn't admit that). Saw them all in concert back in the day. Still going to some of them. Just saw Tesla in concert a little over a month ago.

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      And same as you, when hair metal died I gravitated toward country music. Still listen to artists like Clint Black, Brooks & Dunn, Sawyer Brown, Tracy Byrd, etc. etc.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      ssandy_561 I do believe, other than my wife, you're the first person to share my exact tastes!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    Musical preference, like any preference, is a very personal thing. Just like your choice of pet, spouse, car, and job. When I have the music rolling, I put my phone on a speaker and hit shuffle. I play anything from 1950s-2000s country, 80s-2000s rock, and the occasional pop or even R&B tune. My absolute favorite music is 50/50 80s-90s hairband rock and 90s-early 2000s country.

The first guitar solo I ever learned was the one to Comfortably Numb. Although I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, it was a fav song of mine for a couple years as a teen, and so was On The Turning Away, and I love the guitar riff to You Better Run. My favorite band since I was a kid in the 80s through today was and is Def Leppard. I get teased a lot by my buddies though, they think DL only made one song and burnt out long ago (not true, still touring & making albums after 40yrs together). I always say "Hey, you don't have to like what I like, you don't have my ears, I do."
    The older I get, the more I music I love. I can listen to almost anything now. I put up some sort of lonesome country because I saw some trends, but I could have put up '70s punk (I was a stage guard for The Ramones for one show), '60s psychedelic, '30s big band, '20s Chicago & New Orleans, boogie, blues, jazz, most pop music, Lady Gaga, whatever. It's all awesome. Mrs and I saw Steve Earle live about a year ago, we have tickets for Donny & Marie next month. I just love music!

Sondheim wrote this with Glynis Johns in mind, while the show was still in rehearsals. He knew she didn't have a wide range, but he felt that the song would be better performed with her acting instincts rather than a singer's vocal instincts. He obviously knew what he was doing.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you, brother. I listen to all genres, only two exceptions are opera and rap. That said, topping my list are blues, alt country, rock/pop, and classical.

With Father's Day coming up I have to share this one. Guy Clark is by far my favourite singer/songwriter. I'm not ashamed to say I've cried my heart out listening to his songs. This is one of them. Whether you loved or hated your father, we all have a Randall Knife. There is something from our childhood that defines our relationship. Mine is his truck, a 1956 Ford F100. It was the first motor vehicle I rode in, and I still have it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_40306.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	332294

That's my father standing next to it. The story goes he was 17 working in a grocery store after school. He wanted to purchase the truck, but because of his age he had to get his parents to co-sign the loan. My grandmother said to forget it, no way it was going to happen. So he went to my grandfather, who asked for some time to think about it. He came back with this offer, he would co-sign the loan on one condition, that if my father missed the first payment, or the last payment, he was to hand over the keys. My father asked for some time to think about it and went to his older sister and asked if he got into a spot if she would help him out. She said yes and my father told her to keep quiet about it. He went back to my grandfather and told him he agreed to the condition. My grandmother wanted to kill my grandfather, and my grandfather thought he'd be getting a truck half paid for. As it turned out my father never missed a payment and kept the truck all his life. We were his caretakers for the last four years, he was afflicted with Alzheimer's.

Now, here is the song, Guy Clark, The Randall Knife:

Bonus track, Watermelon Dream, what should be the official theme song of summer;

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet ride, awesome story brother !!

If nobody else gonna pimp these guys, I'm stepping up. Just can't believe this was 40 years back.

Wore that LP out. When it finally hit CD, there was much rejoicing.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the introduction!

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      Olde and In the Way was the album we listened to my first Thanksgiving out of the house and away from family. Left an indelible mark on me. Grisman is such a virtuoso, probably seen him 10 times. Grisman-Garcia stuff is tight BBQ listening too-

Here's a genre that doesn't get much love these days: 60s/70s blooz rock. I dug the heck out of it back then, though. My first concerts were Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, J Geils, etc etc etc.

Nobody... NOBODY could do it like Steve Marriot. Here he is at the height of his power.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      I spent the summer of '76 wearing out a copy of 'Frampton Comes Alive'. Went to a show at Anaheim Stadium (where the California Angels play {sorry, I bleed Dodger blue and refuse to call them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim]) where he opened for Yes.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Back in '73 we saw an all-day concert: Black Oak Arkansas, J Geils Band, Frampton's Camel, and Humble Pie. Chester, West Virginia. The only problem was that it was outdoors, 90*, and there was no water and were no concessions. But J Geils were insanely awesome that day.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      My old man used to lose his mind when I blared this. teehee.

And once there was a time when a bunch of lads could get together and write some songs and call themselves a band!

Comment

One of my all time favorite performances on YouTube. Eric Kaz says this was one of the greatest moments of his career.

Comment

According to his biography Fortunate Son, this was the first time Fogarty played "Born on the Bayou" since CCR broke up; the copyright belonged to Saul Zanz, and Fogarty refused to play any of the CCR music.

Comment

Last one, thanks for letting me do a little DJing. This is the one you dream to. I could listen to Sergio Webb's glissando every second for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb
          I'm with you, brother. I listen to all genres, only two exceptions are opera and rap. That said, topping my list are blues, alt country, rock/pop, and classical.
          Opera can be hard because it not only is in a different language, it is from a different time and is performed in a different manner. Singers weren't amplified then, so they developed vocal techniques that allowed them to project great volumes without shouting; to today's ear, it isn't familiar so it is hard to connect with. I grew to like opera by first listening to Kiri Te Kanewa and Julia Migenes-Johnson sing jazz and pop, and then I became interested in what they sounded like in their own element.

This is pretty riveting, it's not opera but a lieder by Franz Schubert. Schubert was like a rock star of the early 1800s: lived hard, died young, wrote amazing music.

Comment

And on a completely different note (hehe), Stephanie Trick plays Pete Johnson's "Dive Bomber", and it really doesn't get any better than this! Bouncing piano, hot boogie, nothing like it.

Last edited by Mosca; June 16, 2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              She can definitely make with th 88's!!!
              Truly inspirational!

Here's probably the best cover of 'Stairway to Heaven', and considering the audience, it had to be spot on.

By the reaction, I think it is safe to say it was.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Very Good.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Whew!

The Allman Brothers...Old Before My Time. "there is a long, hard road, that follows far behind me." I'm sure some here can relate. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYr1cD49aA......As a big fan of great lyrics, these seem to have a personal feel.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              This was recommended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggeab0lKz2c Gregg, Dickey, and Warren doing 'Melissa' acoustic.

• Locotech
              Locotech commented
              Editing a comment
              ComfortablyNumb...yea, that's a great version of Melissa.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              "Dreams" and "Not My Cross to Bear" are big favorites of mine (along with just about everything else).

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis