Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share the music

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love alla th ZZ Top, growed up hearin it, first saw em in 77, shredded jeans, Big Belt Buckles, an th Prototype of my very own Beloved Cowboy Hat....BTW, Billy, he was still playin Pearly Gates, an I was ~ 20 ft. away from their boots...

Danged hard to even try, pick a fave song, esp as a musician, but, right this moment, I'd havedta attest to th fact that this was my most favouritest Dusty Hill bass romp, in '77; mebbe still is, in '21 hooked me, line an sinker...

Still rocks my arse, 44 years later, have played it live, many times, both bass, an guitfiddle...

Still likeys me this version, especial 33rpm LP, triggers deeper memories ...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 28, 2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Did I mention, Pearly Gates???

Dayumm, Yall!!!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 28, 2021, 10:33 PM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      "you don't have to worry, cuz takin' care of business is His name"

I was hooked on ZZ Top the first time I heard them, which was La Grange. And it's still my favourite. Found this kick ass version for all of you to trip on.

Listen carefully, Billy mentions making BBQ.

Comment

So a guy walks into my Macomb, Illinois farmhouse in the summer of 1972 with this album. He says the rockin' blues these guys from Texas are playin' is off the charts. THAT's when I became a fan. We ground that album into dust playin' it so much.

This selection is most apropos, simply called Bar-B-Q....

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Must be nice, I can't remember a thing past 1968. And very little before!

But that's the nice thing about Alzheimer's, you get to do new things everyday.

• new2smoking
        new2smoking commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I was in Urbana in 1972. Just down the road a bit.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        To be honest, the reason I remember it so well is I never expected a lot of rock out of Texas back in those days (with notable exception of course like the Winter boys and Steve Miller). Ironically I moved to Texas 3 years later and been here ever since. Those were very different days, you can get a taste of it in the still pictures of the band back then.

Another one of my favorites from “That Little Ol Band From Texas”

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        They must have been channelling their inner Zappa when they wrote that one. ;-)

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        “Weasels Ripped My Flesh”

Can you believe the vinyl LP for Weasels is selling for $30 bucks on Amazon? My 500+ album collection might have a few gems in it...hmmmm

Comment

Where th How How How How Ah How done comed from:

Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 29, 2021, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I just heard this on Pandora and it reminded me I just had to share this. I absolutely love SCOTS and Mary can really sing! She should have sung on more of their songs. I am building a beer can and chicken box fort in her honor. This is a killer song.

Last edited by Panhead John; July 30, 2021, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            SCOTS is the bomb! I have a couple of their albums on my iPhone.

I agree! I love those guys and got to see them live a few times back in the 90’s. Here’s what I got on my iTunes. If you don’t have “Double Wide and Live” ya really ought to get it.
          Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Listening to this on YT while it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0vbNQ9eCVk

Posted this in the wrong place, so moved it. Album has already downloaded, will be listening to it later this evening when it cools down enough to go outside. (Still 106F)

• new2smoking
            new2smoking commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! 106° is hot. Crops ok?
            Last edited by new2smoking; July 30, 2021, 11:15 PM.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            I went out to do some farm work, plugged in the ear buds and turned on Doublewide. All I can say is thank you to Panhead John for pointing me in that direction. And I have never weeded the corn so fast!

new2smoking Everything seems fine. Hay loves the heat, as do the corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, squash and cucumbers. The apples, not so much. Many of them are sunburned, but that is from the several day of extreme heat we had last month. Or the month before. All I know is it's hot!

Jus that time o year..

Have covered this, fer long many years, never afore heared me this version....

Nice dimples, while I'm at it...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 31, 2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

This guy Billy Strings has my attention. He's part of Bill Kreutzman's Billy & the Kids act. Guy is a darn good picker.

Dust in a Baggie

Don't Think Twice

This is such a great Dylan cover

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Amen brother! I've been listening to a lot of Billy and the Kids lately, as well as the Dead and all the spinoffs since Jerry died. But Billy Strings is leading the pack on the young jam band performers, and filling Jerry's shoes quite nicely.

• new2smoking
              new2smoking commented
              Editing a comment
              New to me. Great guitarist, and great voice.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Was passin familiar with Billy Strings, but never afore done heared me these two!

Many Thanks fer sharin, I'll be diggin deeper, Brother!

And because I can't resist any form of AC/DC and am a fan of Finnish back country jams . . .

Steve 'n' Seagulls - Thunderstruck

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones No matter who did it. One nice thing Elton does is put the name of the band and song in the post, so a search is easy. He posted it in #386, but I mentioned then it was an encore, so it very well could have been you. I'm not going to scroll through 385 posts to look for it!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e26#post452374

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries, an, yeah, I can be kinda (deliberately) cryptic, lotta th time...

Never was no kinda contest, in my eyes, as to who posted first, once again, so sorry if'n it came acrosst that way... Totally My Bad.

An, yeah, even if I gave a rat's pattootie, I'd havedta side with yerself, an decide to NOT search though 385 posts, neither
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 31, 2021, 08:20 PM. Reason: Grammer Ishues

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones It's over 100F here and smoke so thick you'd think you were in San Francisco on a foggy day, so any excuse to stay inside....I went ahead and scrolled through several pages and found the first post. You'll never believe who posted it....I can tell you I didn't remember!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ge7#post452374

Post 191

So I just scrolled though several pages down memory lane. Unfortunately a lot of links are now broken. But I ran across this one and thought it deserved an encore. Those who remember will appreciate.

For those who don't, he was a former member who left us too soon.

Comment

Here's one for latenight71 and new2smoking

Also inviting Draznnl willxfmr

Billy and the Kids with Billy Strings

Note: Skip to 1;20 to avoid the ads. Then note at 5:57 where Bill Kreutzmann puts his drumstick in his armpit to put on his sunglasses without missing a beat, followed by Billy's solo.

Stay tuned, I'll have more Dead jam for you all.
              Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; July 31, 2021, 10:20 PM. Reason: Fix broken tags

Comment

Billy Strings performing Robert Hunter's 'Thunder'

Comment

• new2smoking
                  new2smoking commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK, Wow! The guitar jam in the middle is incredible.

Acoustic 'Ripple'

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis