Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I keep in refrigerator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I keep in refrigerator?

This is going to be a stupid question… I just bought some whole leg shanks that are still in the package from the farm to my butcher. It's Monday night so can I keep them in the refrigerator until Saturday? Or do I need to freeze them? If I need to freeze then I'd probably want to remove the membrane now. Need some advice!

Edit: To clarify it's beef shank (don't know if that makes any difference).
    Last edited by eugenek; November 18, 2014, 09:03 AM.

Is the packaging air tight as in cryovac? If so, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure your fridge is at 35 degrees or so. Use a Maverick thermometer to make sure. I would also suggest putting the meat on the bottom of the fridge.
    I got a frozen wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms last Friday for the competition I am competing in this weekend. I put the brisket in my outside fridge and put my Maverick under the meat inside the pan and it read 46 degrees. I cleared out the bottom shelf of my indoor fridge and relocated the meat there. Temped at 32 degrees so I bumped the temp up a bit to 35. Thawing nicely and safely now

Comment

It looks like it's air tight and wrapped in a fairly thick plastic material. Thanks for the tip and good luck on your competition!

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Have a good cook

I don't think there are any stupid questions. My dad always said only stupid people that don't as questions. Have a good cook and let us know how it comes out.

Comment

So, if the meat you buy is not airtight and you vacuum bag it as soon as you get it home and keep it under 35*F it should be good for 5-6 days??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis