Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Chopped" grill episode is ... interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Chopped" grill episode is ... interesting

I'm watching an episode of "Chopped" that featured using what appears to be both charcoal and gas Weber grills. The main course is a bone-in ribeye. I bet anyone of us could turn out a better cook. Not one the (remaining) three chefs even though about a reverse sear or 2-zone cooking. I was laughing almost the whole time.

On a positive note, at a couple of them went with flavors we would use. And one of the judges was the head chef from Outback.

I watched that same show earlier this afternoon. Pretty lame.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      My impression is that the chefs were forced to use the grills mainly as a heat source instead of allowing them to really shine as a flavor component. Mainly due to time constraints. Too many dishes used pans which negates the grilling component.

Why would a cooking show allow them to ruin a good ribeye? That producer should be chopped!

Comment

For the most part I have really come to detest the shows on the Food Network because it's always competition and it's always timed. Some things are best left to a slower pace. Watch the kids barbecue competition show. Sharp young people who can't really shine because the cooks that really would set them apart take too long.

Comment

• Baltassar
        Baltassar commented
        Editing a comment
        Really agree about Food Network. I miss Iron Chef, though. It was going lame toward the end, but the old episodes were good.

Did they have a time limit?

I enjoy the show 'Beat Bobby Flay' or whatever it's called. Very entertaining I think.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        There are still a few worth watching. I actually prefer the cooking shows they have during the day. And DDD is pretty good even though I can only take so much of Guy. I just get frustrated because everything is a contest and everything is timed.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        JCGrill I get frustrated after a while with DDD because Guy 'loves' everything always. I know he's being polite though. But he always describes how he can taste all the ingredients...no kidding? You can taste the beef and the sriracha and that's why you love it?

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Watch for when he finishes a dish or can't put it down. That's when it's really good. He did a book about the show some years ago and he said he rarely finishes anything.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis