Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezer just took a dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richinlbrg
    commented on 's reply
    God love him, Cheef !!

• gwschenk
    replied
    Originally posted by JPGators17 View Post
    ...sounds like an emergency cookout is in order.
    Exactly. This sounds like the only reasonable option. What time should we be over?

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    That was the experience we had. Awful.

• bten
    replied
    When I was in Louisiana and we had hurricanes hit that would knock out power for days, we would run the freezer every day on a generator for about 2 hrs. Many times we carried the generator from house to house to keep everybody's freezer cold. We just did not open them.

I once had a freezer go out while we were out of town for 4 days. Even the 2 frozen turkeys were warm, and we had about 60 lbs of shrimp in the freezer. It smelled through the seal on the door, but when my wife opened it, I thought I would have to move out of the house.

Count your blessings, you were very fortunate to catch it when you did.

Leave a comment:

• billg71
    commented on 's reply
    Good to hear everything came out OK! Congrats on the new freezerator.

• vandy
    replied
    I have had that happen to me before but I was too late when I caught it so most of it was partially thawed so we just had a really big neighborhood cook out. Everyone seemed to enjoy my misfortune though!

Leave a comment:

• Cheef
    replied
    Yep it was an upright but handled it well. The delivery guys told me the old one is built way better than the new one.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheef View Post
    Any advice or idea on how long the contents of a freezer will remain good after the freezer quits.
    It went out this morning in a puff of smoke.
    Contents are frozen solid but I won't be able to get the new one in until this afternoon and then the cool down time to get it where it needs to be.
    Any suggestions? I sure hate to lose what is in there.
    Contents are worth twice the cost of the freezer.
    This is a first for me!!
    If it is a deep freeze, you will be good for probably 6 or 7 days depending on how hot it is outside the box for instance out in the garage is too hot. On the house you should be good. I had one that went I bet 7 days. Oh and if it's well packed and full, the better.

An upright, well not long at all.

Leave a comment:

• Cheef
    replied
    Well there is an up and down side to every story.
    We Had a half dozen half gallon containers of the Moose Tracks Ice Cream in there. My wife's 92 year old Father lives in the house we have next door. He is a MOOSE TRACKS MAN!! Same thing for desert every night--BIG scoop of Moose Tracks and don't try to short him on the scoop!!!
    One day I will start a discussion on the dietary habits of a 92 year old farmer/rancher. 6'2'' 230 pounds (LITTLE fat but not much)at 92 is a pretty good deal I'm thinking.
    Breakfast every morning for him is 2 slices of thick cut bacon CRISP!!--2 fried eggs fried in the bacon fat because that is the right way to do it--Bowl of cereal with milk--large OJ--large glass of water--cup of hot tea Slice of toast with NO butter.
    I keep trying to get him to change up a little to take out the boring factor but his reply is he's eaten that breakfast for 90 years and likes it.
    He was still out building fence at 82 years old until his daughters decided he needed to move to the city.
    One of the last of our GREATEST GENERATION and we're going to make sure he gets what he wants while we still have him.
    Edited!! Occasionally he will concede to a root beer float in place of the Moose Tracks--but that is only to humor his 8 year old great grand daughter who considers herself an expert in making root beer floats. It is a Friday night tradition.
    HAD to edit one more time just to fill you all in. Potatos are NOT a breakfast food so don't even bother putting hash browns or O'Brien on his plate because he will tell you so as he's pushing them off to the side.
    Cracks me up and when I feel like messing with him a little I'll stick them on there just for the reaction. STERN but polite!!
    Last edited by Cheef; May 18, 2017, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Glad to hear it turned out OK, Cheef . Losing some ice cream and Tater Tots seems like an appropriate sacrifice to the freezer gods for keeping everything else frozen solid.

Have fun loading up those extra cu ft with brisket and pork butts.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    I'm glad it worked out pretty well for you! My refrigerator died last week and didn't discover it for many hours so the refrigerator was over 50 degrees for some time. Fortunately I have a garage freezer to move all the frozen food to.

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    You are going to repurpose that old freezer as a cooler or a smoker or something aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    replied
    I used to have 3 or 4 freezers in my garage for spare product when we had a pizza fundraising business (long boring story).

A trick we learned is to keep the empty space in the freezer filled with jugs of fresh, drinkable water. This solves two problems; it keeps the freezer contents very frozen during a power outage or equipment failure, and it also provides another source of drinking water in an emergency situation. Having the freezer full of frozen items and no air space also supposedly helps reduce the amount the compressor needs to run, as it won't warm up as fast. Air has a very low specific heat, about the same as hot waffles

Leave a comment:

• kmhfive
    replied
    Great work!

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    You done good!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis