Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezer just took a dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer just took a dump

Any advice or idea on how long the contents of a freezer will remain good after the freezer quits.
    It went out this morning in a puff of smoke.
    Contents are frozen solid but I won't be able to get the new one in until this afternoon and then the cool down time to get it where it needs to be.
    Any suggestions? I sure hate to lose what is in there.
    Contents are worth twice the cost of the freezer.
    This is a first for me!!

Don't open the freezer!

once you plug the new one in, add the contents of the old one. It will help get the new one cold.

When you do the transfer, you can see if any meat has started to really thaw. Cook those pieces within about a week.

Comment

Do you have a place nearby where you can buy some dry ice?

Comment

Ouch. I lost a freezer full of meat last year because it turns out my garage freezer is plugged into a GFI switch that got flipped somehow. Sadly, I didn't know it until it was too late. As far as timing, unless you can pack everything into coolers of ice, I'd say just get the replacement ASAP. If everything thaws before then, sounds like an emergency cookout is in order. Depending on how full your freezer is, I'm guessing you have about 12 hours before the point of no return.

Comment

This happened to me last year too. Keep it closed until you get a replacement. The tighter packed it is the colder it will remain. Just keep the door shut until your are cross loading into the new freezer.

Comment

Yeah, the only thing you can/could do is, if everything is spread out - pile it all up. And if you have any freezer packets in your refrigerator freezer, put those on top. But if you do this, as everyone else said, do so with the utmost quickness - the most important thing is keeping that lid closed at all times. (plan ahead, get everything right there, and THEN open the lid, with the goal being to get it shut again ASAP) But even if you don't do that, since you have a decent amount of solidly frozen food in there, you should be fine till this afternoon. I've had it happen a couple of times.

Comment

Well the new freezer is being delivered at 3PM so it looks like a total of about 8 hours. NOT going to open the door again as I took a quick look this morning when I unplugged and everything was solid.
              Advice from the appliance dealer is the same as I have seen here. Leave it alone and he will call when it is 10 minutes away so we can get ready.
              He also advises loading it up door to door and putting the new one into quick freeze mode.
              Sounds like I might have dodged a bullet.

Comment

And? Thanks for the help and tips. I figured I'd be OK but it gives a warm and fuzzy to get a little positive feed back.

Comment

Glad to hear there is a possibility of success!

Comment

Dry ice purchased from a grocery store might solve your issue temporarily

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a great idea!

Last summer, my freezer died. I keep my freezer about -10F ..... so I ran to Home Depot, bought a new freezer and got same day delivery. Then did just like all the advice here. Touched nothing until the new freezer arrived and the immediately moved everything into the new freezer. The only thing that ended up as a loss was some shrimp that seemed halfway unfrozen, so I tossed it.

Comment

I unfortunately lost a whole freezer full some years ago, because it was in a remote part of the house. Glad you avoided that.

Comment

I've had the power go out here for about 8 hours at mid 80 temps and didn't lose anything out of the freezer. Just don't open it!!

Comment

Just a quick update.
                          Freezer went out at 0900--new one running at 1630 temp in the garage was 80*.
                          Just had the new freezer delivered and got it set up and turned onto quick freeze mode.
                          Waited about 30 minutes and started to transfer the goodies.
                          EVERYTHING still well frozen except for the tater tots being just a tad soft. Dumped them and didn't look back because I HATE tater tots!!! LMBO my wife insist on keeping a bag of them around so if it makes her happy I'm happy.
                          I guess I'll call this a blessing because everything worked out. The old freezer was 20-25 years old and I hate to see it go.
                          BONUS is we went from a 17.5 Cu FT to a 20 cu ft so there is that anyway.
                          Thanks again for the morale boost.
                          Just a quick side note. We did lose a gallon of Moose Tracks Ice Cream but I'm still a happy flatlander.

Comment

• EdF
                            EdF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You done good!

• billg71
                            billg71 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Good to hear everything came out OK! Congrats on the new freezerator.

Great work!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis