Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's on your Christmas list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's on your Christmas list?

Assuming you're on Santa's Nice list (and you are, aren't you) what is it you'd like for him to put under your tree this year.

I'm thinking I should finally get around to having a vacuum sealer and electric knife sharpener, so those might be on the list.

My 15 year old Weber gasser is running strong after several components being replaced, but, I would not mind upgrading to a Weber EP 330 or if I want to go all out a Weber Summit 670! (I'm not sure how far up the nice list I am).

My Char Griller Akorn works just fine, but I wouldn't mind if it magically turned into a Primo XL.

Hmmm, perhaps I should stick with the vacuum sealer and knife sharpeners, that way I don't have to worry so much about being on my best behavior the rest of the year!

Dave, have you tried that AccuSharp knife sharpener that Cooks Illustrated recommends? It's available on Amazon, is a small hand-held dealie and my goodness it does a good job. It's only about $10. It can even sharpen serrated knives. I use mine all the time. I do have a Kyocera electric sharpener for my Kyocera ceramic knives, but that little AccuSharp is great on all of my metal knives. It can even sharpen serrated knives well, which surprised me.

For an electric sharpener, Cooks Illustrated recommends the Chef's Choice Professional 130, calling it the "Rolls Royce of knife sharpeners". I've been looking at it, but as long as that little AccuSharp keeps doing its job so nicely, I'm having a hard time with the rationalization.

Here's what's on my Santa List, none of which I really need and quite honestly cannot rationalize: a Cambro, a John Boos cutting board with drip tray, and a Wagyu beef brisket. Hey, it's only a wish list.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 14, 2014, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Guy, for that info. Is that teak board pretty heavy? Do you leave it out all the time or store it away between uses?

I'm working on my rationalization for that Chef's Professional knife sharpener. It looks like a sweet machine. Those AccuSharp sharpeners will make great stocking stuffers. My kids are getting them too.

Kathryn

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Kathryn I ordered the accusharpener yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

• archer2010
      archer2010 commented
      Editing a comment
      I second the kudos for the AccuSharp. Besides the items you mention Kathryn, it will quickly put or restore a razor's edge on traditional 2 blade broadheads.

That's a great tip on the knife sharpener. I may have to give that a try!

You're x-Mas list is awesome. I'm officially adding all that stuff on my list too! OK now I gotta start behaving better so I can move up on the nice list

Comment

Thermopen for me...

-Alden

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        If you'll be using it in the dark make sure you specify the backlit version. I don't have a backlight and it can be hard to see in low light settings.

• Marauderer
        Marauderer commented
        Editing a comment
        What Dave said. I wish I had gotten the backlit one.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        You could opt for the ThermoPop http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...tw=AMAZINGRIBS, it's less than $30 and has a backlight. Made by ThermaWorks, the maker of the ThermaPen. Tossing it out there in case you weren't aware.

Santa visited me in July with the Lang 48 and again in September with the Weber E-330 and again this month with a gas log splitter. So now I will have to cook for Santa

Comment

• Marauderer
        Marauderer commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, Darn the bad luck. You're killing me DW!!

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        That is funny.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
      Santa visited me in July with the Lang 48 and again in September with the Weber E-330 and again this month with a gas log splitter. So now I will have to cook for Santa

Cooking for Santa??? PLEASE, be careful how high you set the bar for the rest of us!

Comment

DWC- a log splitter and a stickburner, you are one happy dude. My dad built a trailer mounted wood splitter, gas & hydraulic, back when he was my age. It still runs today as good as then he says, starts with one pull every time. I love that thing. It has made some quick easy work when I harvest my apple & pine trees.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes Huskee the gas log splitter sure makes life alot easier

I've been dropping every hint possible to Mrs. Clause that I'd love to see a Vortex under the tree.

Comment

All I want is a meat slicer. David I just recently bought the V5800 vacuum sealer from Foodsaver, absolutely love it.
          Last edited by Deuce; November 14, 2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I'm hoping for a LEM meat grinder … but I keep a nice wishlish on Amazon for my husband to consult :-)

Comment

• Guy
              Guy commented
              Editing a comment
              Right first post. Welcome to The Pit.

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Named after the bar by any chance? Had a great time at Whiskey Girl in San Diego.

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi WhiskeyGirl,

Got a LEM # 8 (Model #1113) last year. Don't use it as much as I'd like because of the stupid cost of Beef!. (Can't beat grinding your own ground chuck for burgs!)

Paid like $89.00 on Amazon. Got a free Backwood's Sausage Spice Variety pack when I registered it with LEM.

This thing rocks. Takes about 7 minutes to grind an entire Boston Butt once you've cut if up and freeze it as recommended. This equates to about 5+ lbs ground pork.

I'd love to get the LEM 5 lb Sausage Stuffer, but we honestly don't have room for it... and a meat slicer... LOL!

A very large hunk of wagyu prime rib. It will be the most expensive thing to go in my Yoder to date, besting those 8 USDA prime steaks....

Comment

With Christmas over a month off and with Amazon Prime I have time. One thing I do want is a PBC. I just brought a WSM because being a rookie I had not found your site yet. Almost the next day I found your site and saw the PBC. The Weber is fine but I want what my friends have, stomp stomp stomp.

Comment

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                John want to trade??? LOL

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                John I assume you like the PBC?

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                I love it, I think they are both great, I just love the capacity of the PBC; a 10 pound pork butt and 4 racks of ribs are no problem. A few times a year I need to cook more, so I need something else, but for the price it will be hard to not just have 2 PBC.

What's on my Christmas List? .... a Lang 60, a Grilla, a Santa Maria grill... ummmmmm 3 new 733s, a digi-q, etc etc etc -- YO Santa!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                And a huge deck to put them all on, perhaps?

Kathryn

That's exactly what I want Kathryn - a grilling & smoking deck, ​partially walled, partially covered. I'll take care of populating it.

But that will have to wait until warmer weather returns, at the least. In the meantime, I think I want the forthcoming Maverick ET-735, a Smokey Joe Gold (though I wish it had the ash catcher like the Silver and Jumbo), and a Thermapen.

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                We actually thought about building a Picnic Shelter!

• The Burn
                The Burn commented
                Editing a comment
                Like a gazebo?

I have a pretty big patio, threw a mount out there with a 60" TV from last xmas, great place to hang out and grill. Guests always want to go see the awesome rig I must have, and are pretty surprised to just see my kettle and the 'trash can' I use for cooking.

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL @ the 'trash' can!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis