Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead, what have you done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead, what have you done?

The bacon ended up coming out so good my wife wants more to take to her sister's house in a few weeks. I had borrowed a friends slicer but he is moving. So, craigslist showed me the way and I ended up picking up a Berkel slicer for about the same price that I'd pay for a home slicer at Amazon...

What have you done to me!

-Alden

It is not just to you. It is to all of us. LOL it is fun though.

Comment

hahahaha. Thats AWESOME Alden. AWESOME!

Comment

You've made my day. I think my next project will be "marriage counseling with food". Or maybe "how to go bankrupt with barbecue".

Comment

• Gunderich_1
          Gunderich_1 commented
          Editing a comment
          As a single fellow at the moment, I vote for the "how to go bankrupt with barbecue" session. I have put a hold on things for now, but the itch is always there!

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Do we really need a class on how BBQ can bankrupt you - it happens so naturally once you get started and frequent The Pit.

• Eastonbeef
          Eastonbeef commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a good thing for the food! With my schedule!!! My wife hates the lack of sleep I get trying to perfect my passion, great barbeque!!!
          Thank you Meathead, my wife now looks for cuts of meat for me to make insanely good on my kettle's.

Hahahaha Awesome Alden!

I have said it before: "Meathead turns us into BBQ Geniuses! "

Besides learning to cook great food, one of the best parts is we get the family (wifely) approval and the green light to get more toys!

Comment

I second the comment of Alden's. I made a batch of bacon just about the same time as Alden's using Meathead's maple syrup cure. I wished I'd put the other 7 lbs of belly in at the same time it was sooooo good.

I brought some in to work for the guys here to try and even the 2 guys who used to be full time chefs were impressed.

I've taken the last two pieces of belly out of the freezer to thaw out, and they'll go into the brine tonight so they can go into the smoker on the 22nd/23rd of November.

One of the guys here gave me a little ceramic heater, so I can warm up the gazebo so my Bradley doesn't have to work as hard to get up to temp, and I've jury rigged the smoker so it vents outside using a heavy duty metallic dryer vent hose.

Will post pics later this weekend after doing the "Mothership Pork Roast"

Comment

Alden, if it makes you feel better I bought MH's favorite grill AND his favorite smoker sight unseen based solely on his reviews. You're not alone my friend, and you're in good company if I do say so myself!

Comment

Actually I don't fell bad, I think I got a reasonable deal. It's always good to be able to share the blame if my wife thinks I went ooverboard though.

I started taking pieces off and cleaning the slicer up this evening. Found some nasty stuff that had been aaccumulating for years. It cleaned up nicely though. I need to get some food grade lubricant to lube it in a couple spots and it should be ready to go.

-Alden

Comment

Speaking of Maple Syrup... In the spring, I will post pictures of how we make it here... It's just nice to get outside and do something in the woods after a long winter.
                I am spoiled, I can't buy real Maple Syrup that tastes as good as ours. Biased? Yes! After collecting the sap, and watching it cook down... Nuf Sed!

Comment

Alden, you have been ruined for life!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis