Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Dave's Cheese Smokin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Dave's Cheese Smokin

Ran across one of Old Dave's threads about smoking cheese so I decided to break in my Backwoods Smoker Chubby.
    Picked up some 2.5# blocks of cheddar and colby jack, quartered them, racked'em, smoked them two hours with hickory and apple. That is some delicious cheese Ol' Dave! Vacuum packed 10#s so I wouldn't eat'em all at once. Now that the mornings are getting cool good time to fire up for a short project of this sort.

Here is Old Dave's site for his smoked cheese and other goodies:

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/...oking%20Cheese

NICE POST CS Thanks! I love me some smoked cheese.

Comment

OH yeah... I would be stopped up for a week on that stuff! Love that smoked cheese!

Comment

I will have to give this a try. From what I can gather from the blog smoke it at 80 degrees or less for up to 2 hours. Cut the larger blocks into rectangles that have 1 1/2" sides by whatever length you want.

Thanks for posting!

-Alden

Comment

Originally posted by AldenMiller View Post
          I will have to give this a try. From what I can gather from the blog smoke it at 80 degrees or less for up to 2 hours. Cut the larger blocks into rectangles that have 1 1/2" sides by whatever length you want.

Thanks for posting!

-Alden
          Yep if you get much warmer your cheese will begin to sag into your rack, I crept up a bit on temperature and noticed that starting. First time with the Chubby and was surprised 5 briquets and a couple sticks of smoke wood warmed it up before the finish. I started with an outside temperature of 33 degrees. I noticed some other sites mention 90 but I think 80F would be the high point.

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
            OH yeah... I would be stopped up for a week on that stuff! Love that smoked cheese!
            Well if you are really hungry right before you go on a cheese binge, mix you up a glass of water with a about 2 tsp. of psyllium husks and powder add some OJ for taste, finish that off to get yer plumbing right. Then get out your crackers and beer! Oh and take a couple 1200mg. capsules of Lecithin. Ha..!

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              OK... great idea! I do LIKE my cheese and do have cheese binges now and then!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis