Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My own Indian Tandoor - Tandoori Chicken and Naan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mizu001
    replied
    I used an extra thick terracotta planter pot from home depot with the bottom cut off and stuff packed tightly on the outside.
    First filled a mix of sand and pearlite all around the outside of the pot, put a layer of broken firebricks on top and then sealed the top with the refractory cement. Also filled up the space at the bottom where the pot is sitting on refractory bricks with cement to seal it.
    The bottom is lined with firebricks and covered with rutland castable refractory cement to make a solid based on top of a layer of sand. Bottom side is lined with firebricks and all gaps filled with rutland cement also. . The The air intake at the bottom is the medium size replacement air intake for the big green egg. 😉😉. Fairly good fit along the curve of the drum.

Still sitting at 650F after an hour.... Top cover almost closed, air intake at half. Already melted the tip of my redicheck..
    Will update later on how long I could keep it at 650F without adding any more briquette. My money is about 5 hours before it starts dropping. Last firing it took about 30-35 hours to come down to temperature outside.

Leave a comment:

• cdd315
    replied
    That is so cool!!! Where did you find a cylinder (is it terracotta?) like that? Is that concrete around the outside?

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Way kewl.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Mizu001
    replied
    Fabricated a briquette basket to putt at the bottom. Loaded it up with 125 briquettes (3/4 full). Reached 650F in 50 minutes flat. Loving it. Need to be in the 600 range to make naan and tandoori chicken. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3831.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	29629 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3830.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	29628 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3833.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	29627

Leave a comment:

• bbqoaf
    replied
    So cool! Let us know how it goes, looks like quite the project.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    OK... this is way COOL... we need more information on how to do it!

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Looks interesting, waiting for some food pics. I love naan, but the last time I tried making it I burnt it pretty bad.

Leave a comment:

• Mizu001
    started a topic My own Indian Tandoor - Tandoori Chicken and Naan...

My own Indian Tandoor - Tandoori Chicken and Naan...

Just finished building my very own drum tandoor oven. Fired it twice to cure it... Managed to reach about 350F with about 15 briquettes and the about 550F with roughly 30-35.
    No cracks yet...
    Had to fabricate my own briquette basket to fit about 60-65 briquettes so I can get up to about 650F and maintain is for a while. I have six 40" skewers ready to go and some dough for naan rising..
    Can't wait to try it out..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3696.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	29427 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3677.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	29426 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3694.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	29422 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3701.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	29428
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis